Need help on niggling problems with a new build please

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by microcut, Feb 24, 2008.

1. microcut

microcut Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 1gb
    Hello,

I just built a new system (listed to the right) Seeing as theres soo many settings and programs to install etc i thought i'd ask if the 'problems/ issues' i feel i may have are actually anything to worry about...

1. Upon starting the system for the first time i noticed the cpu fan was only randomly spinning, but found out that if i disable speedstep it will constantly run, so i disabled it. However, is this recommended?

2. my cpu fsb is 333x9 but my ram is 400 which means my cpu/ram ratio reads as 5:6...is this okay?

3. i think i made the mistake with the power adapter/ sata cable on my hdd coz it says slave drive when booting up...is this okay to leave?..or does my hdd (i only have 1) really need to be the master?

4. I have easytune5 pro which came with my gigabyte board...under hardware monitor and 'fans' i have 3 alarm icons flashing next to CPU, PWR1 and System

now pwr1 and system have zero values, and my cpu fan rpm is 1100 (tuniq tower 120) Should i be worried by these alarm icons?

thanks.

2. mystic_pr0ject

mystic_pr0ject Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780Ti 3GB
    1. speedstep will slow down the CPU (and generate less heat) when it isn't being used, because its generating less heat the fan doesn't need to work as much (if at all) but will speed up as the heat increases. It doesn't hurt to have this on, most people leave it off though

2. the 5:6 ratio on the RAM won't hurt much if at all, it will decrease bandwidth slightly so if you can get it to run at 400 you would be better off for it... but in all honestly you wont really notice it too much

3. if you have a SATA drive then it should be master drive regardless as each SATA channel is dedicated to a single drive, an example of a SATA cable is here. If you have Master/Slave then you have an IDE cable (an example of the cable is here). The performance of the drive isn't affected at all whether its master or slave, if it is the only drive on the cable (and isn't sharing with CD/DVD) then it should ideally be master but I wouldn't be overly concerned about this.

4. if you have the tuniq tower then you likely have a 120mm fan so it running at 1100rpm is fine as it's still pushing quite a bit of air. The PWR1 value is read from a fan header on the motherboard called something like PWR_Fan, if no fan is plugged into this then it will have a 0 value. I would say the System fan is the northbridge fan (small fan) on the motherboard... your motherboard doesn't have one of these so it reading 0 would be correct

3. MR.BONES

MR.BONES Master Guru

GPU:
    xfx6850
    Eist and speed step are disabled on mine i dont use them. wont be a problem,unless yor worried about extra heat and volts running to your cpu

Ram ratios are running dividers set for 1333 fsb strapings you can change them for higher band width if you want i run mine at a 4:5 ratio so my rams run at 1125 mhz with extreme performace set.

Your single HD should be the master drive

ET5 is garbage IMO but the icons are telling you there is no fan to be read or it may be spinning below is rated speed,Do you have fans connected to those points on you board? If not dont worry bout it

4. microcut

microcut Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 1gb
    Thanks for the replies ;)

Regarding the speedstep issue... the fact the fans rpm is controlled by the tuniq fan controller once speedstep is disabled...i was worried that if my cpu did require more cooling my fan would never adjust, instead just staying at 1100rpm. However given the performance of the tuniq tower....maybe i should just trust its set rpm of 1100 is fine to constantly have on?

To MR.BONES. apart from the cpu fan being connected to its rightful place on the motherboard....all my case fans are directly connected to my psu and one to the 12v connector (top right on ds4)