Need help OC Laptop GT70 2oc(i7-4700MQ)

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by genbrien, Nov 21, 2017.

1. genbrien

genbrien Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980
    HI
    I'm waiting for Volta to change my laptop, but in the meantime, it struggles to run every new games, even when @lowest settings possible.
    I already overclocked my GTX770m at his max, and I'm looking to maybe gain a little bit by OC the CPU and/or RAM
    I havent OC anything since my PC's CPU (2600k) and I'm not as good as I was.
    Do you have any suggestions of settings for me?
    Thx
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. hyperboarean

hyperboarean Member

GPU:
    Asus Vega 56 Strix
    I have the same CPU in my MSI GT70 laptop, and overclocking CPU won't make any difference. Max is multiplier 34 on all cores and I can't see any difference, just a lot more heath and Current Limit Throttling. Even with disabled Hyper Threading.

The best thing you can do is to get unlocked BIOS for that 770M and overclock even further. You can look for already unlocked GPU BIOS on internet or contact svet on MSI forums to unlock yours. I did the latter and at 1005MHz my 770M is quite happy (but for some reason I can't overclock with the latest 388.31 drivers).

genbrien likes this.
  3. genbrien

genbrien Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980
    k thx
    so far my GPU with MSI AB is @ +130mhz core/ + 425mhz mem with stock voltage

but its hot as hell
    I repasted it this week, gained about 15C
    so now idle @ 40 and 80-85C full load (was over 90 before.....)

anyway, guess that I'll have a new one in about 6 months when Volta will be there

4. hyperboarean

hyperboarean Member

GPU:
    Asus Vega 56 Strix
    Strange, those temperatures are really high. I just re-pasted (Thermal Grizzly's Kryonaut) and "evacuated dust from the premises" yesterday and idle temps (as right of this moment) are CPU: 48°C and GPU 41°C. I use "powercfg-win10-more-settings" tweaks, so my idle CPU temps are a bit higher.

Playing Battlefield 1 MP on low, turbo fan enabled: CPU 62°C MAX and GPU doesn't go over 60°C (room temperature ~20°C).

I have Disabled Hyper Threading, no OC, my bottom lid is off and I have my laptop on fan cooling pad.

PS: Before re-pasting my BF1 temps were CPU: 92°C, GPU 1005MHz OC: ~80°C
    [​IMG]

I'd recommend you get unlocked+tweaked BIOSes from Svet and undervolt with Intel Extreme Tweaking Util (I have no problems using -100mV on CPU).