Need help, GPU severely underperforming

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Smough, Oct 16, 2021.

1. SerjRozov

SerjRozov Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Xtreme
    Whats the ultimate perf plan?

2. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
  3. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Based off the clock speeds shown in the Afterburner OSD he's overclocking that GTX 1060 or his card is factory overclocked. A stock 1060 would normally boost up to ~1830-1850Mhz for the average clockspeed. He appears to be pushing the boost clock about ~100-120Mhz higher than a reference card.

Not sure if that would make up the difference or not... but could be a combination of things. Also memory speeds/latency could make a difference as well. I'd make sure your 4770 is running Dual Channel! One of my friends ran his memory in single-channel mode for about 5 years before I realized something was off with his performance and I looked as his system and found that.

4. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    https://imgur.com/a/kp66u1A

Check both images. This just after a reboot, a simple reboot. I am so lost. Basically, it performs as it should when it wants. 13 fps less with the same gpu clocks and similiar temps. Could it be the PSU failing? Generally, the full performance comes back after seemingly leaving the PC off for a good while and just using it from a cold boot.

5. SerjRozov

SerjRozov Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Xtreme
    idk i can't open imgur link.

anyway, check your bios, look for native power management and ASPM settings, turn it off. also set pcie links speed from auto to highest.

Edit: weird, i looked at this ultimate perf pwr plan and most of it settings are just exactly like mine slightly changed usual max perf plan. @mbk1969 will PSE show any deeper level differences between those plans?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  6. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Basically, the links shows 2 screenshots with same clocks, same temps but with a difference of 13 fps for no reason at all. 55 vs 43. As for the bios, I haven't touched in a while, with my old monitor it was fine, well, I say fine but maybe the problem has been going for longer and I only noticed it until recently. I changed the pice stuff, but did not have any luck so I left it on auto.

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I have never turned that ultimate power plan on, but Power Settings Explorer should display values for all power plans in system (so any user can compare).

SerjRozov likes this.
  8. SerjRozov

SerjRozov Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Xtreme
    Thats up to you ofc, but i remember when those aspm native pwr settings in bios were overriding microsofts win aspm in power plans + nvcp max power, what caused constant up and downs in frequencies thus fps back when i played tw3

9. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    I always lock the CPU frequencies to their max in bios (turbo boost locked, so is a slight overclock), that's not the problem. Also my CPU comes with results above average on all tests, my problem is the GPU.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  10. SerjRozov

SerjRozov Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Xtreme
    Oh, i see. Then maybe you're right about the monitor settings.

Smough likes this.

11. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Yeah, strange thing is that the performance can come back randomly, specially after keeping the PC off for a while, but lately not even that anymore. Looks to me that the GPU is simply dying or could be my PSU.

12. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    What PSU do you have?

13. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    It's an EVGA 600 watt PSU, 80 Plus.

14. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  15. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660

16. ThermaL1102

ThermaL1102 Active Member

GPU:
    KFA2 1070 OC
    just feels like GPU throttling to me , as far as i read the thread
    if you changed the cable to hdmi and it still did the same thing after a while ,
    couldn't be a lot of things , clean out the card's fins if you haven't already ,
    then check the fans when they are running , if they actually BOTH are running
    one of them could be touching the card maybe and creating extra heat ... idk
    good luck though , expensive little problem if it's the videocard and you can't figure it out , hope you do

17. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    I doubt it's throttling, FireStrike benchmark gave results above average: https://imgur.com/a/h4ObgBA

I am completely lost.

18. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    What's your budget? I'll post up some options when you give me that info.

It's very important to buy a good PSU, I'm betting a quality one will be the solution to your variable performance. I've seen it first hand before.

I do suggest spending more on one if you can, a good one will live through many builds.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
  19. P_G19

P_G19 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 / 6GB
    Hello, are you using Fullscreen or Borderless?
    Try using borderless. I get much higher FPS in Borderless than Fullscreen since i upgraded to windows 20h2 (and drivers of that time too ofc)

Edit: I never really noticed until i ran a benchmark (gpu usage was about 67% in Fullscreen and 100% in borderless)

20. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    I test both modes at all games, some games perform better in Fullscreen and others in Borderless, in any way, I cleaned my PC from all dust, re-seated the GPU and seems to be fine now. Fingers crossed it doesn't fail to me again. But if all games run properly to you only in Borderless, I'd take a look at that, usually, the fps advantage is always gained in Fullscreen unless there is something seriously wrong with a game.