NEED HELP: Getting consistent frametime spike patterns after a while of using RTSS

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by john cena, Jul 23, 2020.

1. john cena

john cena New Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    RTSS helps me flatten my frametimes, but after a while I would get these consistently paced HICCUPS when a stutter occurs. If I don't have RTSS running in the background, these consistently paced frametime spikes don't occur. When I minimize the game and go back the frametimes spikes go away. What is the cause of this and how can I resolve it?

anyway this is what it looks like

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  2. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Who said that RTSS generate them? You're offering me to search for a black cat in a dark room. No, thanks.

3. john cena

john cena New Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    sorry I didn't mean to say that RTSS cause them, but it happens when I have RTSS running in the background

4. john cena

john cena New Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    anyway, I just need help man. I'm getting these consistently paced frametime spikes that run with RTSS on. It felt like the game threw it offsync or something. If I don't have it on, the frametime spikes don't occur anymore.

5. john cena

john cena New Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Can anyone at least help me understand what's happening?

6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Why are you capping to 73 fps in particular?

If you have a 75 Hz display (without variable refresh rate) you will get consistent spikes like that if you cap to below refresh rate with Vsync on.

(For minimal input lag you should cap to 0.0xx... frames below monitor's actual refresh rate, not multiple frames per second. Unless you have a VRR display).

7. john cena

john cena New Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Anyway, I edited my message. But yeah, this seems to happen when RTSS is running in the background.
    I didn't cap to 73. When a microstutter occurs (perhaps when it loads a new environment) It starts a wave of those frametime spikes which also causes the FPS to drop to 73. When that doesn't happen the frametimes are at a consistent 13.3ms (75 fps)