1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help getting 4K (3840x2160) resolution for Radeon HD 66xx (Turks) in Windows

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hobart, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Hobart

Hobart New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6670
    SOLVED: 4K (3840x2160) resolution for Radeon HD 66xx (Turks) in Windows

I've got these items, connected by a single HDMI cable:Running under Linux (Ubuntu 13.04 64, proprietary Catalyst 13.4), everything automatically comes up perfectly in 3840x2160. (XOrg log)
    It looks amazing. (screenshot)

Under Windows 7 Ultimate 64, the card will only output 1080p (1920x1080).

:bang: AMD support claims that "4K Resolution in Windows is only supported in the Radeon HD 7xxx series and later" and that "Custom monitor resolutions are only offered with the FireGL line of cards".

Item's I've tried that did not work:
    Help greatly appreciated. The card can definitely handle it, as the Linux behavior shows.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  2. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    well even if working in linux it's a fake/placebo and mistake, hd6xxx are not capable cards to handle that power, only hd7xxx or newer.

4K or greater resolutions supposed to work only with DP 1.2(or better) and HDMI 1.4(or better), so there is no solution it's impossible.

3. Hobart

Hobart New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6670
    I had already attached a screenshot showing it actually working fine.

...and I just found the solution, so I'm updating the main post with it, and another screenshot.

All the best,
    -Hobart

4. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Yeah I was about to suggest patching the pixel clock... but it seems you did that with success :) Interesting.

5. rflair

rflair Don Commisso Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 980/290X
    2160@30Hz looks OK?

6. Hobart

Hobart New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6670
    Looks great for text (ssh windows / web pages), and still images so far.

7. rflair

rflair Don Commisso Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 980/290X
    I thought of getting one also, I'm going to check it out at the local TD.

If it was 60Hz I'd be on it right now.

8. ACMPraetorian

ACMPraetorian Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7950 OC
    OP.

Did you install 13.10 Beta drivers first then patch the files?

Could you please tell us the steps you used in order to allow custom resolutions / Downsampling?

9. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Myeah, HDMI can't do 2160@60Hz so you are stuck at a laggy 30Hz. Not really cool. So you can't go DP or Dual-HDMI ?

How is this UHDTV btw ? The price has to have something to do with quality.

10. Hobart

Hobart New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6670
    Sorry for the late reply.

1. I purged all installed drivers as best as possible, using VGA mode booting, and Win7's PNPUTIL.EXE.
    2. I installed Catalyst 13.4 drivers - the unpacked folder was 13-4_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql
    3. I patched my drivers using the AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher, followed by using the Custom Resolution Utility (both from Monitor Tests Forum)
    4. Everything came up fine in 3840x2160@30hz. I had to disable Flash's hardware acceleration, and Media Player Classic's hardware acceleration to get them to work (they were displaying solid green).

Hope this helps. I snagged a used HD7750 so I'll (hopefully!) be able to have acceleration at 4K w/o shenanigans.

Linux note: The newer proprietary Linux Catalyst drivers no longer work for 4K on the 6670. The 13.4 drivers worked straight-off with no extra configuration needed.

My post on Monitor Tests Forum: http : // www .monitortests.com /forum/Thread-AMD-ATI-Pixel-Clock-Patcher?pid=880#pid880
    Disabling Flash HW accel: http : // www .techhive.com/article/228249/YouTube.html
    Disabling MPC-HC HW accel: http : // codecguide .com/faq_mpc.htm#item29

11. Hobart

Hobart New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6670
    I tried hooking up 2 HDMI cables from the card to the display, didn't work (it saw it as two identical separate displays)

I'm lovin' it myself. But I use it for coding, 2D work, and Netflix, not twitch gaming. I'm sure if I saw an A/B test between 30hz and 60hz I could tell the difference, but for the price I paid, and the real estate I get (16 windows tiled comfortably useable), I'm happy. :)