Need help (4870) AA causing corruption on all games

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by ShadowPal, Aug 7, 2008.

1. ShadowPal

ShadowPal New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870HD
    Hi, I was hoping someone could help me out. I built my system with the Sapphire 4870HD and it runs smooth as silk. The only problem occurs when AA is turned on. I get wierd corruptions (Rectangular white/gray blotches) that flash. This problem only occurs with AA on (Tested at 1280x1025 and 1680x1050.

With AA off this doesn't seem to be a problem. I switched AA from box to edge detect and that didn't do anything. Games where I see this problem are in Crysis demo (All settings high), Sins of a solar empire and supreme commander. I actually haven't seen a game where it doesn't occur.

I have attached a screenshot from sins, look at the planet to see the corruption.

[​IMG]

**edit posted the full size picture two posts below for those not wanting to click on the link**

My catalyst version is 8.7.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  2. willvx

willvx Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX 640/1880
    I'd like to help mate, but I can't see what you're talking about. Although when I once had a ATI card, I had the same problems with flashing squares and I believe it was from overheating. Are you overclocking and What settings do you have turned on in CCC?

Oh yeah, try turning off Catalyst AI if you have it on.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  3. ShadowPal

ShadowPal New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870HD
    [​IMG]

I have CCC settings of AA set to "use application settings" and catalyst AI is off. There are small grey boxes on the planet if you look carefully.

4. ShadowPal

ShadowPal New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870HD
    And no I am not overclocking anything. Running at 78C (though it is greyed out in CCC).

5. th84

th84 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870x2
    I having some problems with the 4870 and graphics corruption in GRID demo card runs about 70C at full load so i dont think its overheating,even though there was no AA turn on when i tried the game but im also running CF 4870's not sure if it happens on 1 card as well.

I also seem to be getting corruption and wierd color flashes all over the screen if i run 3dmark vantage at 8xAA and 16xAF.
    Im just hoping its a driver issue(8.8Beta) Other then that most of my games run fine with AA and AF turned on.

6. ShadowPal

ShadowPal New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870HD
    Hi, just wanted to give an update to the community,

the AA corruption problems occurred with both drivers (8.7 and 8.8) and in both Windows Vista 64 and XP 32. Interesting that only AA caused the corruption, though higher the AA setting the worse the corruption would be.

I finally returned the card and got a new HD4870 and the AA
    corruption has gone completely, so definitely seems like it was
    a hardware issue.