Need hel, System wont post on new htpc build

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by irfdude, Apr 16, 2008.

1. irfdude

irfdude Guest

GPU:
    8800 gts 320
    Hey guys, I need some outside ideas. Sorry for the long post but please bear with it!:infinity:
    I have started building a HTPV VCR mod and with a little help from another Guru (Thanks Deceived) managed to get some decent parts.
    I managed to install everything perfectly got it to load and all was well.

System specs are
    Gigabyte motherboardns939
    AMD X2 3600
    8800 GTS 320mb
    Windows XP

This is what happened, I had it all in my old case and was testing it on the living room tv Xp installed onto sata drive I had 2gb memory installed and decided to upgrade it to 4gb, I put the new memory in and 2 IDE harddrives.
    When I swithced on if failed to load and I had to do a hard restart it got past the post and went to the "load fail safe defaults" page - I chose to load last known good thingy and ever since the systeme just wont boot.
    All that happens is that all the drives and graphics cards fans whir away but nothing on the screen.
    Things I have done to try and solve problem
    Taken it out of the case to rule out and shorting issues.
    Tried all the ram in different slots. I have 5 sticks of ram and have tried all of them so obviously not a ram problem.
    Have tested the power supply is a 500w zalman one and it is working fine all the rails supplying the right amount of power.
    Have tried resetting the cmos by shorting the switch and taking the battery out to drain but absolutely nothing:3eyes:
    No onboard vga so cant test the gpu
    Any one have any ideas, before I go out and buy a new motherboard as this is what I think the problem is.

2. Moxica

Moxica Active Member

GPU:
    Gainward 8400 GS, 512
    Disconnect everything (power, usb, monitor, everything), take out all ram except the one in socket 1A, take the battery out for 10 minutes, reset the bios, remove sound card, network card, any other extra cards, disconnect cd/dvd devices and secondary harddrives. Now put the battery back, power cable, monitor cable and keyboard cable. Try start the computer. Is it still dead?

3. irfdude

irfdude Guest

GPU:
    8800 gts 320
    Tried all of the above Moxica, still dead, got the internal little speaker connected and not even getting and bios beep errors! So havent got a clue.
    I know for sure its not the psu
    Dont suspect the ram as have 3 different brands and tried them all seperately still nothing.
    Tried 2 different cd drives still nothing
    Have 2 ide and 1 sata drive tried all three seperately and together still nothing!
    Only thing I cant double check is the mobo and the gpu.
    Last resort is buying another s939 board with onboard vga to see if that works but dont really want to spend any money unless i have to.
    Tried taking out the cpu and reapplying it with fresh as5 paste hasnt helped.
    I'm running out of ideas!!

4. Moxica

Moxica Active Member

GPU:
    Gainward 8400 GS, 512
    Double-check that there's 12v in the separate (4-pin) cpu power connector.
    If the computer still doesn't start, the mobo is a very likely cause.

5. irfdude

irfdude Guest

GPU:
    8800 gts 320
    CPU power cable is getting its power okay.
    Damn this was a nice board with lots of nice features and got it very cheap.
    Suppose I will have to bit the bullet and buy another board, if I cant get it working.

6. irfdude

irfdude Guest

GPU:
    8800 gts 320
    Right getting a new board - will have to swap everything out and see if it works, if not i'm stuffed!