Need for speed shift and my rig ( disapointing )

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by main_shoby, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Vomit

Vomit Member Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE 7970 Vapour-X
    I am also disapointed with this games performance on my system, Im not 100% convinced that it is a graphics problem.

Now i may be talking out my rear end, and thats likely :banana:

But today i have closed as much of vista down as i could and changed my sound settings to stereo and then turned the graphics up for the game to high on everything except motion blur, 1680 X 1050 4Xaa 4Xaf. I had a much more enjoyable time with it on all tracks, but I did notice tracks that are narrow and enclosed seem to suffer far more from poor performance than the wide open tracks, but even the enclosed ones were better, not perfect, just better.

McRae dirt had a problem with sounds from other cars causing poor performance and somone did hax the sound files to shut the sounds from the other cars down and hence improve the performance of the races with multiple cars. Maybe its also the case with this game, as for ATI cards suffering in particular, could this be somthing to do with the hdmi outputs on them causing this poor performance we are getting?

2. chanw4

chanw4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    The game got really ****ty FPS (around 15 FPS) if i use application AA (builtin AA from EA) but when I force 8xAA and 16xAF (from ATI Tray Tool) and everything MAX out in-game(including in-game AA), the game is playable around 20-30 FPS with my ****ty 4850. My Catalyst AI is set to 'LOW' on ATI Tray Tool tho.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  3. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    I was just going to say... I get better performance with 8x AA in this game than with no AA

o_O

4. AVWar

AVWar Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5870
    NFS shift + 5870 = win for my , i got 60 min fps vsync is on

5. baz2963

baz2963 Member

GPU:
    ATI Sapphire 5850
    NFS Shift and 5850

I went from a GTX 260 216 to a 5850 and it now runs awful !

6. ZealotTC

ZealotTC Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 5870
    what driver are you using runs like **** for me

7. icehot666

icehot666 Member

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    9.10 rc driver for me on 5870 and i get the same, min 60fps everything on max details, max aa etc

8. itsb1again

itsb1again Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 285 @ 702
    DRIVERS DRIVERS DRIVERS!! jesus... idk mine worked 100% from get-go.. I don't know what my FPS is but it never lags and I have everything as high as it will go...

Kylzer you've got the new 5850????????????

Jealous............

I was thinking about getting rid of my 285 and going dual 5850's... what do you think?

9. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    ^ ofcourse not, it has been explained the problem is exclusively on ATI cards

10. toivonen

toivonen Member

http://www.drivingitalia.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=46740&pid=565777&st=0&#entry565777

Hope this helps, essentialy is Ian Bell (one of the main creators) answering a bunch of questions, in one part he clearly says that together with ATI, they are working hard to fix that problem:

"...We’ve worked hard to add additional optimisations for ATI cards with success. This will be coming in a future patch. In the mean time, using a profile from other games helps. I’ve heard that renaming the exe to grid.exe helps a fair bit on ATI cards..."

Spread around

Updated link (If you've problems with links, just go to VirtualR or Drivingitalia and search for the topic, its easy)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009

11. morbias

GPU:
    -
    Renaming the exe to grid.exe does nothing for me whatsoever. Really starting to regret selling my gtx 280 for this card...

12. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    if you're running on vista try compatibility mode and use winxp sp2.

I get good fps on win7 but i need to run it in win xp sp2 or i get a crash online if i use original win7 mode or vista compatibility mode.. and runs smooth too, lowest fps i saw is on the start with all the peps around the car its 52fps, otherwise above 60 4xaa 1280x1024 rest maxed..

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  13. toivonen

toivonen Member

@morbias Well it's a petty..but no one told that it would work for sure, that's why the dev team and ATI are working, and it's a issue that they promissed to fix in the future patch..don't know who's fault was it..i guess it was from both parts. I have a 4870, and have no issues...

14. macdaddy

macdaddy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TITAN X
    runs fine for me no slow downs 9.9cat and thats with everything maxed at 1920 x 1200

15. jamsbong

jamsbong Member

GPU:
    EVGA GF560Ti 1Gb
    I suspect the game is lagging because of the CPU and not because of graphics. We know that the game's graphics is similar to GRID. Just try to increase the graphic resolution details like 4xAA etcs, you'll still get about the same 15fps when there are lots of cars in the screen.

I suspect for ATI user is that the AI of the cars are done using physx and doing it using a single thread CPU creates a lot of lag. Thats why the framerate jumps to a smooth 60-80fps when there is no cars around.

If you use rivatuner, you can monitor the activities of your GPU and CPU. I find that when there are a lot of cars, the GPU is actually waiting for the CPU and the load is only a mere 50% on GPU.

However, because the developer used only the Physx to do AI or something similar on the cars, the CPU load is always stuck at 25% (for quadcore). It means I have three extra CPU which can be used and it is not used.

Notice that people with 4ghz GPU don't complaint, whereas 3ghz or less users complaints. the 4ghz cpu is just enough to compute the AI. I reckon they can easily fix this by utilizing the second core for AI or in my case, 3rd and 4th.

is my first post here... :)

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Good point jamsbong, and i agree that CPU utilisation could be better, and i get better results at 3.4ghz than at 2.6ghz, but Nvidia users still have to use CPU PhysX too, GPU isn't used.

17. morbias

GPU:
    -
    I have a 4 GHz CPU and I get 15 fps too. The CPU never maxes out (I have activity on all four cores), and I'm pretty sure PhysX is only used for tyre to road grip physic calculations.

18. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Shift update
    Just did a full reinstall of win 7 64 on a brand new 32mb cache hard drive with 9.9 catalyst drivers and it all works much better and faster. I am getting the hang of the game.

19. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    Same resolution and settings for me, and I'm on an 8800GT. So yeah, it's an ATi thing.

Haven't read all the replies yet, but if it hasn't been fixed yet, I'd be pleased if it would be soon... As I'm switching to a 5850 when GT300 is out (as that'd probably lower the prices on them)

20. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Not an ATI thing. My present ATI rig runs SHIFT at 1920 1080 all hi with vsync locked at 60fps!! Haven't had a crash or hang or unreasonably low FPS (like 20 etc) since I first installed the game about 3 weeks ago (and reinstalled it about 2 days ago again)

Matybe one should wait for som better optimized 5xxx series drivers from ATI. We should relay on our experiences

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009