Need For Speed SHIFT 2 Unleashed

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Xzibit, Nov 16, 2010.

1. krisby

krisby Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    Hmm, I don't usually get CTD on anything, I have had maybe 2 on Shift 2, but that was after a mod was installed.

Hellspawn, have you any mods or vanilla patched Shift 2? Admittedly I do now run the Sakuras 2.55 Mod, but all good so far.

Oddly, my last major problem was being at 36% and my save file corrupting, with no mods either. So I now backup the save file every couple of sessions.

As for Dirt2, don't think I've had one crash yet, that's not to say I haven't, but it certainly doesn't stick in my mind. Heck, even RBR which used to crash all the time for me, no longer crashes either. Maybe my PC has been taking the right vitamins.

2. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I've not had that many either only about 2 or 3, but i had console gamers over, so the timing was making my PC look bad lol.

Should of mentioned it's DX11 Dirt2 that crashes.

Anyone else tried the community patch, just had a quick go, and feels pretty good with a pad, hopefully get time at the weekend to dust off the wheel.

3. AlxFitz

AlxFitz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970GTX
    @Hellspawn There are certain tracks that cause intermittent crashes but no-one knows why and the devs say they can't reproduced them. I get CTD's now and again but they are thankfully pretty rare.

Tried the new community patch last night and raced around Nordschleife in that 4WD Audi that used to be a nightmare and it seemed ok but afterwards I realised that I'd turned on stability control! I'll give it another go in a bit, the car collisions are much better now but I think that they put the "magnetic" feature in to stop you bumping off the opposition, it was always risky before.

4. HellSpawn2097

HellSpawn2097 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX4080 S
    Well, my issues seems to have vanished.
    Re-installed the game, patched to 1.2 with UCP 1.4, and a bunch of other mods.
    So far only CTD's, once again very random, at least I can play for a few hours without even one CTD, weird... but very nice.

5. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
  6. FaM

FaM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2GB GTX 560
    handling erks me...braking on flat surfaces it will automatically turn in and slide the direction of corner even when not banked...I just fired it up for the 1st time in months and see so much potential ruined by lack of caring\support.

7. krisby

krisby Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    Can't say I've noticed this, I'm having a quick go shortly so I'll see if that happens for me, though I am pretty sure I have had the car swinging the other way if my approach to the corner is all wrong.

8. FaM

FaM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2GB GTX 560
    I know the brake on the dfgt can be touchy so i leave abs on, maybe I can increase the dead zone, give the game gt5 driving physics and I would be hooked.

9. Anshul

Anshul Guest

GPU:
    Sparkle 9400GT 1GB
    Coooooooooooooool game

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Right, here it goes. I'm considering buying this. Where is the best place to buy? Looked on stream and shopto, stream is a fiver cheaper. Now I didn't like the first shift... Is this one better? Any mods for physics? how's online multi player? I don't mind if it's not crazy realistic but I want it to be CONSISTENT! no rubber band, no F1 2010 AI... I'd love to hear from nismo about this game... Big it up for me guys, I need a racing fix!

11. FaM

FaM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2GB GTX 560
    shift 1 is much more fun imo. graphics on this game are nicer but your tires feel like they are on school bus size side walls the way it acts. Plenty of mods out there, free pc upgrade to the drag race and old time cars\tracks which costs extra on the consoles.

its 32 dollar new in the usa, 18 used.

from a pricegrabber search found it for 13 dollars new...but youre in the yoo kay so it may be different.

there's a fat guy drifter and he talks to you in this game ALL the time...gets old...the speedwall is great for comparing\beating friends times but in all honesty, I wished Id saved my money UNLESS someone comes out with an overhaul mod of handling.

ea has a download version maybe cheaper there?

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Hmmm. Maybe I'll just re visit shift 1 then...

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The game is a little flawed, and takes abit of work and time to really enjoy.

It's still good, but wouldn't pay much for it if i were you, £10-15 at most.

Game are doing it for a decent price though, £8.99 delivered, or click and collect, though no idea how well that works though.
    http://www.game.co.uk/en/shift-ii-unleashed-93483?pageSize=20&searchTerm=shift 2

Hard to beat £8.99 compared to £29.99 on Steam and £35 on shopto.

14. FaM

FaM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2GB GTX 560
    eclap its a decent game for under 20 dollars (especially for 8.99 british fuddy duddys) so if you can get it for 9lbs its cool enough to keep you busy to make it worth it.

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    That's a really good deal, might give it a go...

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    And how's online play? And I'd like to hear back from nismo if possible...

17. Nismo GTR

Nismo GTR Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX690
    Well as a simhead i still got alot of enjoyment out of it. I race iRacing mainly but found SHIFT2 still very fun.

MP forget it mate, it's dead as a dodo and tbh it's a crashfest full of kids anyhow. Single player is well worth the money IMO, the engine itself as a sim engine is very solid and has alot more sim than people seem to realise.

The tyre walls on the other hand are too soft and forgiving to be classed as hardcore, but that's the fun of SHIFT2. It lets you drive on the limit like no other sim and can be extremely immersive.

It's also now been unlocked and a big modding scene is immerging for it as it can be fully unpacked now.

Personally i would hold fire and wait for C.A.R.S now, which is the new sim from SMS. This sim promises to be what SHIFT2 was but with DX11 and obviously without EA onboard alot more hardcore.

If you can find SHIFT2 for a good price though, go for it IMO. It's alot more raw than say GT5 or Forza but not like rFactor, NetKar or iRacing. But the content, inpaticular the tracks makes it well worth it.

The main thing to do with the SHIFT2 cars is adjust the setups, default they are all very soft, almost wet setups and so feel sloggy and unresponsive. The complete opposite to what any sim racer is used to, i.e in iRacing and NetKar, the default setups are very hard setups and you end up going the opposite way with them sims and indeed making the setups softer. Adjust the springs etc, make them tighter and all of a sudden the cars spring to life. The Toe settings are also borked and the wrong way round, so negative toe/camber is infact positive and vice versa.

Once you do this, the cars feel very simmy but still have that ease to them on the limit. The tyre model itself is very good btw, but the tyres walls are too soft, which paired with the default soft setups, feels very odd. You need to remember though that this game was designed with pads in mind over a wheel and so softer tyre walls were used to help pad players, but adjusting the setups does go a long way in changing the cars behaviours. The GT1 and GT3 cars though have some great default setups and feel sublime, really top physics, but obvioulsy as said still forgiving, but the behaviour of them is extremely beleivable and as good as any endurance mod i have used on rFactor for comparison

C.A.R.S below

http://www.virtualr.net/c-a-r-s-two-new-previews/

http://www.virtualr.net/c-a-r-s-new-...8-tdi-preview/

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  18. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
  19. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
  20. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    Yeah, logitech rumblepad 2 in wheel profile/mode (eliminates the "lag" during steering that the default gamepad profile is associated to), i crash frequently when i use teh default laggy gamepad profile.
    G27 looks sweet but its way too much for me to buy for a single function XD, can't find any logitech momo locally now :(