Need for speed payback

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Good,refund and dont buy EA games. :)

DocStrangelove likes this.
  2. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrading
    I'm having fun, not too bothered by the loot boxes but i play the campaign only anyway.

I tried last week to play it on my 4K TV but i can't seem to pick the resolution.
    Anyone know how i fix this? i haven't tried to make a custom resolution yet, maybe then it will work.

3. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    make sure ur color is rgb in nvidia control panel, and full not limited, then u will have all resolutions available ingame,

4. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrading
    It is on full, but custom resolution worked.

ramthegamer likes this.

5. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    try unplug the HDMI cable from the gpu and plug it in , restarting the OS is good too

6. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Played the game a little more today , it's fun and all but it feels too repetitive :/ , i got tired of playing this game after only 2 hours today , something feels odd !

7. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    its a shite game.from what i heard from.many people who played, non existent open world if u play with friends u cant roam around, plus microtransactions and loot boxes, u pay real money to get gas at gas station and so on ...... EA should be ashamed of themselves really.....

chispy likes this.
  8. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yeah, I get the impression this game is a bit rubbish to play, what with all its most exciting moments playing out without any user intervention in an effort to mimic the excitement of the Fast & Furious movies. This makes it more interesting to actually watch on YouTube than most racing games which in turn makes me want to buy the game. However, I know if I do that I will likely be disappointed with it as I have been with the last few Need for Speed games, not helped by the fact that it uses bloomin' Loot Crates for upgrades (EA really do know how to ruin their games, don't they?).

Forza Horizon 3 is a much, much better game IMO than any of the last few NFS games. I think the original Most Wanted from 2005 (a launch game for Xbox 360) was the last NFS game that I really enjoyed. Since then the franchise has become too multiplayer focused, which Forza Horizon 3 is as well but the difference with that game is that I do not feel like I am missing out on any content by not playing it online (which I haven't despite playing it for almost 30 hours in total).

NFS Payback will probably be a good game to pick up cheap when you are thoroughly bored of everything else!

9. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Well I got the chance to buy this game fairly cheap-ish on Amazon (well, cheap for an EA PC game anyway) and tried it this morning. Kinda wish I hadn't bothered now...

The game jumps you straight into an introductory event involving three vehicles, designed to showcase the excitement of high speed racing and some cinematic cutscenes. Great, fine, but how about letting me set the options and graphics setting first please, you know, so I can play at 2560x1440 rather than 1920x1200 (I've no idea why the game set this 16:10 resolution...) and enable subtitles so I understand what everyone is saying since the game defaults to surround audio on a system with 2.1 stereo sound!!!

OK, so I can at least pause the game and set the options. Fine. So I crank everything up to the max since I noticed there are several settings beyond the Ultra preset. I resume the game and what is this?!? Sub-60 fps performance, dips down to the low 40s fps on a desert road that is mostly empty of traffic??? A cutscene kicks in and the performance jumps to 75-90 fps but still with a variable framerate and unusually high GPU usage of 60%+ considering this is a pre-rendered cutscene. It is pre-rendered, right, because either there is something wrong with the engine if the cutscenes are realtime but run at HIGHER framerates than the game or if those cutscenes are pre-rendered FMV and use 60%+ GPU resources since you'd expect a stable framerate *and* much lower GPU usage.

Played a bit more of the game which takes you from car to car with barely any time to catch your breath. Performance continues to be abysmal with noticeable stuttering and at one point, during a confusing police chase, I missed the checkpoint and ended up falling through the road into nothingness before the game reset me. I also had the background scenery disappear while going round a corner before it popped back into view as I straightened out. This reminded me of 2015's Need for Speed game, you remember, the one where it is always night time? Is this by the same developer because I remember that game also had performance and streaming issues (the road textures would disappear and I'd fall into nothingness) before they were fixed in later patches.

I have a GTX 1080 Ti so I expect to be able to play this game at 2560x1440 completely maxed out (nevermind 4K which is not possible here from the performance I'm seeing). Thinking maybe one of the settings was the cause, I selected the Ultra preset at 2560x1440 and the game STILL ran at a sub-60 fps most of the time, occasionally going above that to 60-65 fps. Cutscenes always play at higher framerates though before returning to the game and back to sub-60 fps for most of the races or driving.

What is going on here? Is the game just poorly optimised? It uses Frostbite, right, an engine that otherwise runs great on my PC for other games that use it? It's not like graphically the game looks that amazing anyway; the cars look fantastic, sure, but the scenery is a mixed bag - nicely detailed but suffering from lots of draw in and pop up of distant scenery and foliage that is hard not to notice even when driving at speed (in fact, driving at speed is when it becomes MORE noticeable).

Very disappointed so far. It's like this game is designed to run at 30 fps and cannot sustain decent performance beyond that. I have a G-SYNC display by the way and at least that makes the game run smooth (when it doesn't stutter!) but performance really is not acceptable at all considering the hardware it is running on.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  10. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrading
    The next patch is supposed to have optimization improvements, i'm waiting before i continue with the game.
    I hope they hurry it's been 2 weeks i think sinds the last update...

I personally like the game, everything feels right like drifting.

Got kinda used to the performance issues, it's mostly just lag spikes.

@Darren Hodgson What? it uses Frostbite engine? i highly doubt that, it looks nothing like the frostbite engine.
    If it is, then wow they dumbed it down somehow.

11. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Yep, they've been using Frostbite since Need For Speed: The Run, never to its full potential though it seems.

12. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrading
    I really can't see it haha, but it must be true then. I can see that The Run, NFS 2015 and Rivals uses it.

They really ruined it in this game, it doesn't look horrible though.

13. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    This game continues to run sub-optimally for me with constant stuttering every 5-10 seconds and very slow texture loading plus distracting amounts of pop in despite having it completely maxed out (i.e. higher settings than the default Ultra preset) at 2560x1440. For example, I am currently in a city area and the framerate is around 90-110 fps but driving down a straight road with traffic results in stutter and at one point I stopped the car to notice extremely low-res road textures. I remained there, leaving the controller alone, to see how long it would take for the game to display the full textures and it took, wait for it, over 30 seconds!!!

Now this game is running off a 2 TB 7,200rpm SATA3 hard drive as opposed to an SSD but considering the console versions are running off 5,400rpm laptop drive that is connected to a SATA2 port on base systems then my drive should not be an issue for this game. It appears to have some kind of streaming bug on my system that may be the cause of the stuttering.

Do benchmarkers and game reviewers only run PC games off SSDs these days because I cannot believe I am the only one with this issue. I really shouldn't have to install it to an SSD to get acceptable streaming when the console versions run on much slower hardware.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  14. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    You get the feeling this is a dying IP, I barely hear of anyone who plays or wants to play these games anymore.
    They need to take a break and hand it over to devs who will put the effort in. Kinda like what appears to have happened with AC Origins.

Edit: Actually just noticed that they have occasionally missed a year already.....

The fact that the devs have even managed to make Frostbite run bad is impressive as well. Thankfully I think this is on Origin Access so I can try it out first.

signex likes this.
  15. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrading
    Same here, this is why i'm waiting before i play any further. Patiently waiting for the new patch wich has optimization fixes.

Darren Hodgson likes this.

16. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    guys people are saying that this is better then nfs 2015? is it true?

17. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrading
    I liked them both, this one a bit more cause it has a bigger map and a day/night cycle.

They just released a patch yesterday, will have to test if they fixed the lag spikes.

EDIT: Yikes, patch is 7gb, gotta have a look at the patch notes.

EDIT2: This game can s*ck it, i'm done with this stupid mission tried it over 20 times. I really hate timed missions in a racing game.
    I can't even skip it to continue with the others, what a waste of time.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  18. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    the game just got updated and now there is freeroam, yippy, great game i have to say, and the world is big, and some great great speedlists, this was a great buy for me.

19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I tried this game on Origin Access. It didn't play so well at 4K so I tried it in 3440x1440 and that worked much better (even with TAA enabled) and could keep 95FPS most of the time at almost-Ultra. At first I felt the game was bland but as I was playing through the campaign I felt myself saying "just one more mission" even though I really had to go to bed. I don't think I would buy the game full price (or even at the current discount) but I feel that it's quite decent so far. The car handling greatly differs from Forza Horizon 3 though so it took some getting used to at first.

20. serjk

serjk Guest

GPU:
    I love NFS. Older versions were better in childhood.:)

Turanis likes this.