Need feedback: HP dv9260nr

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by Dierdre, May 28, 2007.

1. Dierdre

Dierdre Banned

GPU:
    Evga Geforce 7800GTX
    I was at my local best buy with my son the other day just to kill some time and look around, and saw one of these up on display.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...ategoryId=pcmcat103700050022&id=1166236072160

It really caught my attention because at that price point it has alot of neat "toys" on it.

I was going to buy a notebook from powernotebooks.com most probably so I can cut corners and save money by not buying an OS and stuff like that, also its abit cheaper. However I can not configure anything even close to this so was wondering if you guys thought it was a good deal.

The deal is sweetened because its "open box" so you get 150$ cash back on it.

So whats special?

Well it has alot of stuff on the interface, HDMI, S-Video ect. HDMI is pretty fancy.

It has a HD DVD player on it wich is worth probably 200$ on its own easy (cheapest hd dvd player I have found is the Xbox 360 one)

It comes with Vista Ultimate wich is very expensive (even tho honestly ultimate would be a waist and home premium is just fine)

All your wireless needs, and even a TV tuner.

2gb of ram, and a nice big hdd.

Only major flaw is the video card is a big letdown for a system of this quality, not sure if it could be upgraded to a better one or not.

So given the "toys" and there respective cost, do you guys think this is a good deal??

Id love to have a hd-dvd player, and also this would take care of my vista purchase (pretty sure I can use it on my desktop)

Im open for sugjestions on similar products from other companies/retialers aswell.

Thanks guys.

2. Infested Nexus

Infested Nexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™ HD 8850M
  3. Dierdre

Dierdre Banned

GPU:
    Evga Geforce 7800GTX
    Been thru every single dell before I even looked into alternate brands. Given you can get a good deal when they have sales and cupon codes. There stock prices are not so good.

Just upgrading the cpu to 2ghz and getting 2gb of ram and the 1705 quickly goes close to the 2000$ price range and is lacking severly vs competing brands for the price.

I look at dell as overpricing there stuff on purpose so that general public with too much money or too little knowledge will buy it on a priceing plan or a impulse buy. Then when they have one of those "great sales" and cut the cost of somthing by 20-30% thats the true price for it and not really a sale at all.

Even walmart has been doing this. They had some kodac easyshare digital camera marked for 360$ on sale for 240$... I was impressed by the huge sale and almost wanted to buy it on the spot. Went home to do my research and found the msrp for that camera to be only 220$ so they were making up huge prices just to fool people into thinking it was on sale.

4. SorienOR

SorienOR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    Seems a bit much to me. I mean do you really plan on using it as a Home Theater pc? That would be the only reason to have the tv tuner, hd-dvd rom and hdmi. Ram is cheap right now so 2gb isn't that big of an upgrade. Also the drive is 200gb but still only 5400rpm.

Ya it has all the toys...but you gotta ask yourself will you actually ever use them?

5. Dierdre

Dierdre Banned

GPU:
    Evga Geforce 7800GTX
    At home --- not so much except I would hook it to my HD TV to watch HD DVDs.

but I work 10 hour days and about 7 of those hours I am here on the forums, on other forums, photo shoping, ect.

Im sort of running out of things to do, and it would be much better to bring my own notebook and use our wifi than to be using our work pc's to do my own personal tasks. So 4 days a week id have about 7 hours with it at work and can use those toys to pass the time.

So yes I say id make pretty good use of it.

Id also like to do light gaming wich a 7600 can probably do, id never try to replace a desktop with a notebook for a gaming machine tho :p

Im not really on the market right now, the money just isnt there for me to buy anything. I am always doing research tho to keep ontop of things. As it stands right now, im waiting for the 45nm pentiums to come around that should generate price drops on the older stuff and that may be a good time to get a dirt cheap notebook, or maybe pay the extra for a 45nm that should use less power and produce less heat.

The other note worthy notebook that got my attention from a price vs performance point of view minus alot of the "toys" was the Asus here at newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220163
    1400$ very solid machine looks like, just need to buy some ram to upgrade it to 2gb and you would be good to go.

6. Infested Nexus

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™ HD 8850M

Last edited: May 28, 2007
  7. Dierdre

Dierdre Banned

GPU:
    Evga Geforce 7800GTX
    Thanks Nexus.

with 500$ off the Dell you can get a better all around notebook for just abit cheaper with a few pros/cons.

1586$ for this setup:

Inspiron E1705 Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7200 2.00GH
    FREE Upgrade to Genuine Windows Vista™
    LCD Panel 17 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen UXGA Display with TrueLife™
    Memory 1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
    Video Card 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7900 GS
    Hard Drive Size: 250GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
    Network Card Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
    Combo or DVD+RW Drive 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer
    Sound Options Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™HD Software Edition
    Wireless Networking Cards Dell Wireless 1390b/g (54Mbps)
    Primary Battery 80 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
    Warranty and Service 1Yr Ltd Warranty and Mail-In Service Internet Access

vs 1800$ for this one:

Intel® Core ™ 2 Duo processor T7200
    Memory 2048MB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    Video Graphics NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600
    Hard Drive 240GB 5400RPM Dual HDD (120GB x 2) (SATA)
    Multimedia Drive HD DVD ROM with SuperMulti DVD±R/RW Double Layer
    Display 17.0"" WXGA+ High-Definition BrightView Widescreen Display (1440 x 900)
    Fax/Modem High speed 56k modem
    Network Card Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)
    Wireless Connectivity Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection & Bluetooth ™
    Multimedia Features HP Imprint Finish & HP Pavilion WebCam with Integrated Microphone
    Sound Altec Lansing
    Keyboard Notebook keyboard with scroll bar and integrated numeric keypad

External Ports 5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader for Secure Digital cards, MultiMedia cards, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, or xD Picture cards
    4 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0
    1 Headphone out w/SPDIF Digital Audio
    1 microphone-in
    1 HDMI
    1 VGA (15-pin)
    1 TV-Out (S-video)
    1 RJ-11 (modem)
    1 RJ -45 (LAN)
    1 Expansion Port 3, 1 IEEE 1394 Firewire (4-pin)
    1 Consumer IR (Remote Receiver)

Dimensions 15.16 (L) x 11.65" (W) x 1.57" (H)
    Weight 7.8lbs
    Security Kensington® MicroSaver lock slot
    Power-on password
    Accepts 3rd party security lock devices

Power 90W AC Adapter
    8-Cell Lithium-Ion battery

Pros:
    Can get 1920x1200 res screen (vs 1440 x 900 on the HP... bad idea for a HD DVD player..)
    7900gs is an upgrade vs the 7600
    9cell battery vs 8cell

Cons:
    worse wirless adapter stock
    no hd-dvd
    vista home premium instead of ultimate
    slightly bigger notebook
    no webcam
    slower network adapter
    no remote
    configured with 1gb of ram instead of 2 to save money so have to add 1gb in as a seperate cost.

Hmm... well its a toss up I guess.

List out the pro's cons I can easily see where the HP can make up for the 250$ diffrence. The screen resolution is a big bummer tho.

Dell has a more solid rep, lots of compliants about the lack of instructions and tech support for the HP in the reviews I read. Id hope this is not an issue for any of us tech heads tho.

edit: have to add you can save even more money on dell usually if you ebay up some cupons. they stack with the other stuff. just a matter if they are avl for the product type your buying.

8. Infested Nexus

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™ HD 8850M
  9. Dierdre

Dierdre Banned

GPU:
    Evga Geforce 7800GTX
    Update:

Been doing more and more digging into this stuff.

Came across a few more things that have my attention.

the Asus C90 looks like a hot topic, the "first" build it yourself notebook. I configured one to top end specs with EVERYTHING and it came to like 1500$ once a few people own them and give feedback on how loud/hot it is, and the ergonomics I may want to get this. May be pretty popular here on the forums since we have so many system builders. Its like the half way point between a desktop and a notebook and you still get to build it :p