Need custom mode > native res; 'computer says no'

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by MrVibrating, Jan 12, 2021.

1. MrVibrating

MrVibrating New Member

GPU:
    GTX 470
    I have an old GTX470 driving two monitors, which supports span modes under XP but not under W7, instead requiring borderless windows to span games / video across both screens.

Some games however don't support resizable or custom windows - only offering the monitor's standard supported resolutions, just as windows instead of full-screen outputs.

The trouble is, the max custom res i can create under Nvidia settings can't exceed the native res! So it's impossible under Nvidia settings to create a 'full-screen' custom res for these games' borderless windows!

The monitors are Matrox Tripleheads, 3840x1024 each, so i need to create a custom res of 3840x2048 - NOT to ever try use as an actual screen mode of course; just so that these irksome games will offer it as an available windowed resolution..

I've aleady done this for 'HD' modes - making a custom res of 1920x960 - twice that of either monitor - but it let me, since this was below the '1024' max vertical res of either.

For '4k' however - 3840x2048 - Nvida Settings just says "Custom resolution 3840 x 2048 as 60 Hz (32-bit) is not supported by your display."

Duh. I KNOW it's not 'supported' and have no intention of trying to switch to it as a screen mode anyway!

I ONLY want it so that games will offer it as an available windowed resolution, which CAN span both monitors just fine..

Is there some way to override this limitation - perhaps editing some Nvidia settings manually?

2. MrVibrating

MrVibrating New Member

GPU:
    GTX 470
    Cave Waverider likes this.