Need Cooling advice here

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Jflo22, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Jflo22

Jflo22 Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 6600GT OC
    Ok, just put my Prescott 3.2E D0 into my Antec Super Lanboy case and obviously I didnt listen to the people on this site or I would have went Northwood. But, whats done is done. The 2 120mm case fans seem like they only push about 1100 RPM. Maybe there is a way to up the case fans somehow, but I havent found it. I'm in the process of cutting a hole in the side of my plastic side to throw some air onto the CPU. For under $50.00, are there any other cooling solutions for my case. Got an Aero 4 on my CPU and I dont mind it running full speed all of the time and the 2x120mm case fans. The only thing I can think of right off the top of my head is maybe replacing the 120mm fans with higher RPM 120mm fans, cutting the hole into the side and installing a side fan, and also putting a Antec Cyclone blower into the back of the comp. Any other suggestion under $50.00 are going to be very welcome here. Also, i dont have the liberty of installing a top fan because there is no room with the PS and the CD drives. I am at the point that I am afraid to even play a game on this since the temps are outrageous. Ran PRIME95 for 2 hours and got a max temp of 61C!!!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2004
  2. BIOLOG

BIOLOG Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 6800 GT/TD 128Mb
    Lol, I was getting these temps for two years with my Northwood 2.2GHz... It's still alive now...

3. bigmunkey3741

bigmunkey3741 Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTX OC @ 625/1000
    small idea,, get a SP-94 and some AS5.. that will help out a good bit

4. Woodmasterfox

Woodmasterfox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
    No, you shouldn't have gone northwood, you should have got an A64 ;) but its a little late for that now. I know what cpu cooler you need but newegg search is down for some reason right now as soon as its back up I'll post it.

5. Jflo22

Jflo22 Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 6600GT OC
    I think bigmunkey up there has the right idea on the sp-94 or even the xp-120 (even though that thing is freakin huge) I'm kinda lookin for other case ways though. The sinks are low priced really, but I just bought that Aero 4 and I will have no use for it if I switch it so I kinda wanted to save the $$. I bought 2 Antec 2200 RPM case fans. Blue LED's cuz I wanted it to look cool in there. This should help over the 1100 RPM stock ones. And I am still planning on cutting that hole in the side with a dremmel as soon as I can get my hands on one. I may go with the sp-94 or the XP-120 soon so who knows. One thing I dont understand is though, my MOBO Bios says my Idle temp is 49C but "Motherboard Monitor" says I'm running at 41C Idle so what do I trust?

6. bigmunkey3741

GPU:
    Im not sure on a XP-120, my mate has a SP-94 and a superlanboy it fits.. fust about. so the XP might not fit...

the 2000rpm fans will ahlp a lil.. you MAY just need to reset your Aero. i have an areo4 and it used to cool mt 2.4c@3.3 to 46' full load..

i now use the aero fan on my sp-94, and it cools LOADS.. 42' full load. @1.6v 3.2Ghz.. :). i love this combo, it looks well gheto.. its bodged on wit screws stikin out the side of the aero fan to hold it on... LOL

7. Jflo22

Jflo22 Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 6600GT OC
    wait a minute, you modded a Coolermaster Aero 4 fan to fit onto that SP-94? Thats awesome!

8. bigmunkey3741

GPU:
    ill get a pic im a sec and post it... its SWEEEET

9. bigmunkey3741

GPU:
    here you go [​IMG]

10. Roguegun

Roguegun Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
    I have the same case. I replaced the pair of 120mm fans with Thermaltake smartfans and installed an 80mm side fan. I ordered a Thermaltake SilentTower HSF (CL-P0025 - the aluminum/copper hybrid. The all copper one weighs in at over 3 pounds which is kind of scary to have hanging off your motherboard).

I have a P4 2.4c overclocked to 3.1 ghz and my idle and load temperatures are 30c and 39c. for 44 bucks, I am extremely happy with both the performance and look of this thing.

It installs so that one fan on the front of the heatsink blows through the heatsink, directly into the rear exhaust fan.

I will see about getting some pics put up.

11. Jflo22

Jflo22 Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 6600GT OC
    what do you guys think about the Thermalright XP-90?

Thermalright XP-90

Looks to be an ok cooler and I like it especially since you dont have to take your mobo out to put it in. Link not working due to Newegg problems it looks like.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2004
  12. JeedaiJoe

JeedaiJoe Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GeForce 7800GS OC AGP
    i'm gonna be getting the xp-90...the xp-120 is just too big...though f there's plenty of room it doesn't mater...

xp-90 got gret reviews

13. Jflo22

Jflo22 Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 6600GT OC
    I'm may eventually try the XP-90 but I'm gonna stick with my Aero 4 for now as my cpu IDLE temp went down to 38C and going down every day so who knows. I just got my new 120mm fans that push 79CFM so gonna see what those can do and I'm also trading out my standard ide clables for some round ones. Ill keep this post updated. One thing that bothers me though is that my CPU says it runs at 1.42 V which seems really low. My Asus board however doesnt have a 1.45 or 1.5 or 1.55, it just jumps to 1.6 which throws my Temp up almost 10C. So I'm kinda stuck until that Arctic Silver and my new fans kick in.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2004