Need an expert Guru here

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by djmorgan, Sep 19, 2010.

1. djmorgan

djmorgan Guest

GPU:
    1 X MSI GTX 1080ti X
    I have my MSI Cyclone GTX460 1Gb OC'd using afterburner to 850/1700/2200, (no voltage mod) it is stable and cool at these settings and has been for 2 weeks so I thought to flash the bios at these settings.

Using nibitor and nvflash I flashed the bios and rebooted, afterburner confirmed the new clocks, however when I used Kombuster I found that the FPS was jerky and ran at about 17fps, previously it was about 224fps with the soft clock.

I reloaded (clean installed) the vid drivers, no improvement, then I re flashed to the original bios and everything is back to normal.

Why can I soft clock but not adjust the firmware?, my thoughts are the GPU's memory timing or the soft straps! as afterburner creates the OC after the system has booted.

Can anybody help by pointing the way forward?

David

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  2. Garrett_Wu

Garrett_Wu Member Guru

Could you check the clock while running 3D application like Kombustor, you can use Afterburner monitor or OSD function. I guess you might reverse 3D and 2D clock during BIOS editing.

3. djmorgan

djmorgan Guest

GPU:
    1 X MSI GTX 1080ti X
    Yes spent all day on this, I don't know if soft clock is all smoke and mirrors or just what is going on.

So I have AB running OC at 850/1700/2200 (4400) I start Kombust or Furmark and run a stability test, everything is okay.

I flash the bios with those figures, everything loads fine, AB and GPU-Z report the correct clock figures as 'default' I run Kombuster or Furmark and the display is jerky and the FPS is very low, AB and GPU-Z show the clocks running at max.

I've reloaded, clean the vid drivers, with no improvement.

Today I flashed the bios a total of 11 times looking for the optimum, I stopped at 840/1680/1900 as the maximum I could achieve and still maintain correct FPS in the above programs.

Checking I find no GTX460 cards work much beyond 1900 memory, I'm happy to get my card the distance I have but wonder why AB reports figures that won't work in the firmware, my only thoughts are memory timings on the card or the soft straps, which I know diddly about.

Given that AB increases the clock after boot may have something to do with it or AB alters the actual clock to the card from what it reports!

David