Need advice to choose a new GPU

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ClPony, Oct 26, 2020.

1. ClPony

ClPony Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    I'm updating my desktop and I've failed to choose a GPU.
    I already have:
    I7-8700k
    Asrock Z390 Pro4
    32 gb RAM,

My old GPU is GTX 950.

I use Artec Studio it's a software which goes with 3d scanners. As I found in their manuals I should choose Nvidia GPU. Also I'm not sure if it affects anything but I use it mostly with Space Spider.
    For Processing the models I use Zbrush.
    Also I use Substance Painter and Designer for textures.
    Right now I do not render final images myself, but I might need once upon a time.

I've heared that RTX cards are more powerfull than GTX, But I'm not sure if they work correctly with my software, I once heared that there was some problems, but I can't find this info anymore.

2. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    What is your budget, do you plan on running any other video-intensive workload on your computer (e.g. gaming), and what is your display native resolution?

Unless you are using any other scanner besides the Space Spider with Artec Studio, you can get away with a GTX 1650 with 4GB of VRAM (if you don't plan on doing any gaming as well, at higher than 1080p) - Artec Portable 3D Scanner Requirements

For ZBrush, any GPU from 2008 and newer should work as long as it supports at least OpenGL 3.3.
    Again, a GTX 1650 will do just fine - ZBrush System Requirements

Adobe Substance Painter and Designer requires a minimum of a 2GB VRAM GPU and recommends a 4GB VRAM GPU.
    A GTX 1650 meets these requirements (if you plan on using the UV Tile workflow in Painter, you will need an 8GB video card like the RTX 2060 Super).
    Substance Painter Technical Requirements
    Substance Designer Technical Requirements

A GTX 1650 goes for around 150 -190 USD - Amazon GTX 1650 search results

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  3. ClPony

ClPony Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Thank you for your reply. You know comparing to the price of the scanner, the budget is not the first thing I worry about.
    Do you sure that 4GB RAM would be enough for really heavy models?

I use Full HD.

4. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    I am going by what the official requirements say on the pages for the software you described you would be using.

My apologies for not taking into account your worries of using an RTX GPU.

If you aren't sure, i would go with an 8GB GPU like the GTX 1070. All software you specified has 8GB VRAM as the highest recommendation. Unless you purchase from a used items site like eBay, the older GTX 1070 will likely cost much as an RTX 2060 and the RTX 2060 is faster than the 1070.

Just making sure, do not confuse Motherboard Memory/RAM with GPU Video Memory/VRAM. When you say 4GB of RAM, i assume you mean VRAM.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020

5. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I would suggest go with RTX 3070 or wait till prices of RTX 2080Ti or 2080 Super drop to reasonable levels

GTX 1650 probably will do good job but just not sure if 4GB is enough for you, I use Zbrush and Substance Painter and Substance Designer for texturing although I model my models in 3DMAX or Blender and then I export these models to Zbrush or Substance for final UV mapping or texturing

More VRAM you have its better if you are use PC for rendering or pro works, wait till prices settle down and then get GPU, for now try use what you have, now buying a new GPU is simply not worth it

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

6. XantaX

XantaX Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 TI 12G
    I can recomend you a GTX 1660 Super OC 6GB GDDR6 Vidram, 220 US$ works with every game,very high,extra and epic game mode as long you play in 75Hz Mode, as I have