need advice to build a new system....

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by cgexx, Nov 25, 2008.

1. cgexx

cgexx Member

GPU:
    RADEON 3850 AGP 512mb
    Hi guys, I need some of you guys suggestion to put together a new system from scratch for FSX .. iam presently running FS9 on my aged P4 2.8 socket 478 , Asus P4P800 , ATI 3870 AGP 512MB , Sblive 5.1, 2.0 GB of DDR ram, 19 samsung flat screen and I would like to get another PC to be able to run FSX in any case decently. If you could provide me with some assistance on which processor , hard drive, graphic card, sound card, ram and monitor I should look into , that would be great

2. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    ok well heres an idea

Processor - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Motherboard - Asus P5Q Pro
    Ram - 4GB of Corsair XMS 800mhz
    Graphics card -ATI HD 4850 (512MB)
    Harddrive - Samsung Spinpoint F1 500GB
    Monitor - Dell E228WFP 22-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor

thats just a rough guide and will depend on your budget.

3. SoliS

SoliS Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD4870 512mb
    i'd go for a faster 2-core setup for games instead of the slower 4-core, as games dont make much use of 4 cores atm. however still a solid choice if you do other stuff.

the 4850 is quite a nice card indeed, if you have the bucks (its not TOO much more...) then a 4870 might also be worth looking into; quite a bit faster.

4. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    only reason i recommend a q6600 is that FSX can use up to 8 cores lol.

5. DmZ

DmZ Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260@285 Speeds
    (I am posting the same response here I posted on your other thread, Cgexx)

The truth is there is no PC that can run FSX at max settings. ACES Studio really screwed up because they designed FSX to be future proof... Except based on the wrong assumption we would have 4.0 GHz CPUs by now (FSX was released in 2006). This didn't happen as CPUs became multicore, but at much lower speeds.

However, that being said... FSX is a very CPU dependent game.

Therefore, I suggest you get the fastest DUAL CORE processor you can afford. I recommend the Core 2 Duo E8600 (3.3 GHz). Core 2 Duo Wolfdales are the top of the line for gaming. Also, FSX isn't really optimized for mutlicores even though Aces claims it is with SP1 and SP2. So, having the fastest single core (in a dual core configuration) will benefit you more than four slower clocked cores in a Quad Core configuration. In other words, stick with a fast(er) Dual Core for FSX.

You also want the fastest RAM you can buy. Currently this means 1066 rated DDR2 RAM (533 MHz). DDR3 RAM is just too expensive right now to justify its use in FSX, in my opinion. You want about 4 Gigs of RAM for FSX because the more RAM present the less it has to load data from the hard drive. Be aware, if you use more than 3 Gigs of RAM, you will need to switch to a 64-bit OS to take full advantage of it. I have run FSX on Vista 64-bit and it is incredibly fast in terms of loading flights/scenery and would recommend Vista x64 for FSX. Plus, you get the DX10 mode with Vista as well (DX10 doesn't work with all addons; DX9 is still the official code path).

As far as the video card goes... This depends entirely on what resolution(s) you plan to fly at. For anything higher than 1280x1024, you are going to want the top of the line Nvidia (GTX 290), or ATI (HD 4870) series. You want one with a large amount of VRAM. Think 1 Gigabyte if you can afford it because FSX has high resolution terrain textures along with whatever frame buffers are needed for AA, AF and how many pixels you play at.

Be sure to get a powerful enough PSU (600 Watt) to power the new cards as well.

Moving on to hard drives...

A good SATA II hard drive... Preferably one that is 500-600 Gigs... Is ideal for FSX. FSX itself is 13 Gigabytes installed. Add another 1.5 Gigs for the Acceleration Expansion pack, and anywhere from 40 to 100 Gigs for aircraft addons and scenery packages. For example, Ultimate Terrain X takes 3 Gigs alone. AI Aircraft addons can also eat up space as well (3, 4 Gigs). You can get a SATA II 600 Gig hard drive for $60 on newegg. Stick with known brands like Western Digital and Seagate. Ideally, if you can, get two hard drives. One for FSX and one for your OS and other programs, addons. This will help improve load times for certain addons that aren't installed directly into FSX, but that load up when you use them (Flight Environment X is one such addon; Orbx AU FTX is another).

As far as mother boards go... Anything that will accommodate some of the specs already listed (1066 MHz DDR2 RAM x4); Intel CPU; etc.

I hope this is a good foundation for you to start checking out hardware. If you need any more advice, let me know as FSX and MSFS is pretty much the only real game I play any more.