Need advice on buying my first Intel Arc card.

Discussion in 'Videocards - Intel ARC & ARC Driver section' started by wade7575, Jun 7, 2024.

1. wade7575

wade7575 New Member

GPU:
    GTX 960
    Hi everyone I'm new to this forum but not building PC's and I have built and fixed plenty for myself and friends.

I seen a bunch of reviewers online saying that the Intel Arc cards are the king of encoding video right now which I happen to do a lot of.

My current graphic's card is an Nvidia GTX 960 card and I figured I'd just keeping using it because I'm not a big gamer.

Here's where the confusion is for me,from what I was told by Nvidia that from the 750TI up to the 3000 series use the same video encoder.

From what Nvidia said if you have like I do a GTX 960 and put it up against a 3000 series card the video encoding speed would be the same using the same pc and swapping video the cards using the same video test file.

pegasus1 likes this.
  2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Not true. In Turing (RTX 20 series) they improved H.264 quality (just about matches x264's "medium" preset now, while Maxwell cards are about the same as the x264 "very fast" preset) and speed, and added H.265 encoding as well. In the RTX 40 series, they also added AV1 encoding.

Intel ARC supports these as well, and from what I've read, the AV1 encoder is about on par with Nvidia's. I don't know about H.264 and H.265.

pegasus1 likes this.
  3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the hardware encoder also runs at base clock, so the faster that is, the faster it'll encode.