Need advice on a SMB connection

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by Halloween Jack, May 11, 2011.

1. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    No, use MSE or Kaspery, not both.

2. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 3080 Ti
    Cool, will do.

I'll take off MSE and Comodo.

Thanks for the advice.

Any ideas on my connection issues?

3. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Nope sorry, never set up windows shares in a clientside enviroment, only from my Nas and Windows Server, but that's simple and takes seconds, sorry.

4. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Well, first take off the duplicate security suites and then try again because I think it's these security suites conflicting with each other.

Your setup looks fine, try connecting with another Windows/Mac/Linux machine, they all have SMB support.

deltatux

5. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 3080 Ti
    Hi there, well I did try it a few times with them all turned off. Shouldn't it have worked then? Or do they still have an effect when they're off?

But I have now taken off Comodo and MSE.

6. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 3080 Ti
    Any ideas anyone? I'm still stuck on this.

Cheers

7. smartgenes

smartgenes Guest

GPU:
    Radeon
    Wii SMB Share

Hi, I had an SMB connection running from my Wii for some time.

Yes, the password and user name fields you can leave empty.

These are the instructions from the WiiMC website I used to get it working:

1. In the Command Prompt (in Vista run "cmd") type IPCONFIG /ALL
    This gives the static IP address you need. According to the instructions you also need to record subnet mask, default gateway and DNS servers and input these when you amend the IPv4 properties of the network connection.
    (He suggests run-in-administrator mode (for command prompt), I don't know why this would be necessary) (if you only have one DNS listed, then leave the second blank).

The specific instructions for running the network connection properties is:
    "Press your WINDOWS KEY + R. This will open the RUN command with Administrative privileges. Type NCPA.CPL and press ENTER"
    (but again I'm not sure that admin mode is necessary to amend the IPv4 properties)

Then just type in the info you got previously from the command prompt.

2. I expect the problem is in the sharing stage. I don't know your OS, mine is Vista. In "Network and Sharing Centre" you need the following selected:
    Network Discovery and File Sharing; "Password Protected Sharing" is set to off. (Printer Sharing is not necessary, I know on one OS the option may be "Turn on File and Printer Sharing" but on my OS the two are separate.

3. Go to the folder you want shared. R-click, properties, sharing tab. Create an Everyone - Permissions Reader share. Then on Advanced Sharing tick "share this folder", I normally limit the simultaneous users to 2, but I don't really know how this works.

4. In WiiMC click the Settings tab (gears icon). Select Network, Add SMB Share. Display name can be anything you like, Share IP is the same IP address from step 1. Share Name is the exact name of the folder. (I've went awry a couple of times by inputting "films" rather than "Films" for instance)
    Username is blank, password blank (it leaves place dots even though you left it blank).

You can also select your DVD drive by inputting the share name as the letter, e.g. G. (Make sure you shared the folder as in step 3). I did this as I found WiiMC's DVD access a bit iffy.

5. My app failed when I did a reinstall, in Kaspersky go to settings-firewall-settings. Open packet rules and change local services (TCP) and local services (UDP) from block to allow. OK it, and remember to apply.
    I think in a different firewall I used, I moved a bar down from medium to low somewhere to bypass firewall problems.

The program has had a recent update and the folder directory load is cleaner & quicker, and it can be set to "play next video" which was much appreciated.

Videos above 320kbs tend to lose video-audio sync so bear that in mind if downloading from youtube.

If future problems just IPCONFIG /ALL to see if your IP has changed.

8. smartgenes

smartgenes Guest

GPU:
    Radeon
    I just set up SMB share in MediaPlayerCE as well.
    Instructions are here:
    http://code.google.com/p/mplayer-ce/wiki/Configs
    Just edit the smb.conf file using Notepad (remembering to save it as smb.conf not smb.txt).

WiiMC is nicer though. Occasionally, running files from your PC drive will require a couple of "try again"s to run.

9. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 3080 Ti
    Thanks mate. Will look into this but I think its a XP home issue. Simple file sharing seems to have probs with other machines.

But thankyou :D

10. smartgenes

smartgenes Guest

GPU:
    Radeon
    I doubt it's an operating system issue.. I almost always have teething problems every time I redo the SMB share. Just a little oversight and the thing doesn't work...
    :)

11. smartgenes

smartgenes Guest

GPU:
    Radeon
    Trying to figure out the settings for in AVG Firewall,
    evidently it's something like this:

Firewall - Advanced Settings - System Services - Manage User System Rules:

Create a new rule for TCP:

protocol - TCP
    direction - Both Ways
    local port - All ports
    remote port - All ports
    remote address - Safe networks, local & new network

And create another system rule for UDP with the same answers in the fields.

(Alas, I think I missed something somewhere though...)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  12. smartgenes

smartgenes Guest

GPU:
    Radeon
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012