Need advice for case cooling/fan direction (pics inside)

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Phreakuency, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Phreakuency

Phreakuency Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Titan
    Hi all,

Got a new Corsair H90 today and so far not impressed with results.

Idle is 40C and 100% load for 1hr was max 71C (i7 3770@4.1ghz).

To fit the radiator in I had to remove my cases top fan, which is normally at an angle in the Fractal Design case.

I also noted in the instructions of the H90 it recommended to have the fan as an intake fan, which I've never seen or heard of before for a fan at the back of the case.

So as the pics below will show, I have a front fan blowing air in, two GTX680s in the middle getting up to 70C under gaming load, a side fan and the H90 also blowing air in.

What would you suggest? Given there is no top fan, should I change the H90 rear fan to blow out? How about the side fan?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  2. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Can you move the fan currently on the H90 outside of the case and stick another one on the front, push pull should drop temps by about 5-10 degrees. The front and side should be blowing IN, the H90 OUT, to get rid of the heat the CPU makes. The GFX fans will blow their heat out of the case, too, but generally, stuff at the top/back should be exhaust and front/side intake.

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^What he said.

4. Phreakuency

Phreakuency Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Titan
    Thanks guys.

Is there any reason to put the H90 fan outside the case?

And with adding a second fan at the front. My case has a door on the front which completely closes, wouldn't that be limiting the amount of cool air any front fan brings in?

5. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I mean add a second fan on to the H90, gives more airflow = cooler.

6. Phreakuency

Phreakuency Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Titan
    So what about the Corsair manual/instructions saying the fan should be blowing air in?

Should I keep it like that or change it to blow hot air out the back of the case?

And I then assume you mean add a second fan to do the same?

7. Knox

Knox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil RX580 8GB
    Something like this: Link. Just keep both fans going in the same direction. You may need some extra screws to mount the new fan. Preferably use matching fans (exact), it's not a huge issue, unless their is a big mismatch.

But generally i agree with the others. Pushing out the back is usually better. If you pull in (hot air) your mobo temps and/or your graphics card temps may rise.

8. Phreakuency

Phreakuency Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Titan
    Thanks mate :)

Exactly what I was looking for in that link.

Much appreciated!

9. Halfmead

Halfmead Master Guru

GPU:
    GigaByte 2070 Super
    Seems to me, with your setup, that you have way too much air being pushed into the cabinet, with little or no way for it to escape, other than 'passive' venting in case and the gfx cards. This will probably leave your intake fans at lower efficiency since the the air they push in just sorta wobbles around in there being heated more before it escapes.
    As your Idle cpu temps also reflect i guess, i run a sandy at 4.5Ghz with air at 60 degree load, so i do not not know if 71 degrees load with an ivy is good or bad tbh, with them running hotter and all :).

I can understand Corsair want you to take air from outside the case, since it would most likely be cooler, but i would go with the people here that say maybe put it outside the case in some form, or try to let it suck air out the case just to see.

Most of all, if i were you, i would start to manhandle the case and make room for 1 or 2 top fans for outake (if at all possible). 3 fans in and none out (other than gfx/psu) is bad in any scenario since the intake air can't 'escape' again.

10. ground_zero298

ground_zero298 Master Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    Any AIO benefits from pulling ambient air from the outside. With your corsair exhausting case air you are getting a temp spike from it. Excess GPU heat, ram, and mobo. It might not seem like much "extra heat" but a little goes a long ways when it comes to radiator efficiency.

With the case fan setup, your kind of backed into a corner on this.

What I can recommend is a pair of high flow (not high static) fans for the front and side blowing in. Remove the slot cover below your second card to help drop some of the gpu heat out of the case. Pair of high static fans (push/pull) blowing out for the H90.

Not sure if you changed your TIM or not. If you are using the corsair TIM, a switch to Liquid Ultra should cut off a minimum of 5c on full load.

Personally like suggested, I would man handle that bad boy and put some holes in the top, or new case.

11. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    I did something else, in quite small case Thermaltake Commander-MSI I've mounted Corsair H70 Core outside the case combined with two 120x120X25mm 12V fans (Xilence) in push-pull, they are taking air outside the case.

[​IMG]

It's mounted on Intel Core i7-920 (C0) currently OC'ed to 4.01GHz (21x 191) with HT set to ON, core voltage is 1.39xxV.

With this setup CPU temperature is around 31-32 Celsius in idle, with ambient air temperature around 20 Celsius, maximum stressed CPU temperature (Prime95, HT set to ON) is around 60 Celsius, which is good enough for me.

I've done some experiments and with same setup but with Corsair H70 Core mounted inside the case CPU temperature when it is maximom stressed is about 5-6 Celsius degrees higher. That fact is enough for me to mount Corsair H70 Core outside the case.

When Corsair H70 Core is mounted outside the case I've also tried with OC @ 4.095GHz (21x 195) without any problem when CPU is maximum stressed for hours with Prime95 and HT set to ON, idle temperature is almost the same, stressed to max CPU temperature is about 2 or 3 Celsius degree higher.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  12. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    sorry because lack of translation on picture above, I was in a hurry, here it is:

original text: grafička kartica
    translation: graphic card (Palit GeForce GTX 660 2GB GDDR5)

original text: napajanje
    translation: power supply (Recom 750W)

original text: smer kretanja vazduha
    translation: air flow direction

original text: kućište kompjutera gledano sa prednje strane, ventilator 7...
    translation: computer case looked from front side, fan No.7 is blowing cold air from outside directly to graphic card

additional informations:
    - I've lapped copper contact surface on Corsair H70 Core (copper contact surface on Corsair H70 Core is rough from my point of view)
    - thermal compound between i7-920 C0 and Corsair H70 Core is Arctic MX-2
    - fans from 1 to 6 are Xilence COO-XPF120.TR
    - fan No.7 is blue LED fan included with case Thermaltake Commander-MSI
    - I've cut the metal grill on the back of the case (next to fan No.2) to improve air flow
    - also I had to cut circle hole in case metal plate (on the top of the case) to be able to mount fan No.5

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  13. Mike V

Mike V Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 Armor
    A stupid question maybe but did you tighten the H90 block as far as it can go?

Both my H60 and H100i produce very bad results if i don't use a screwdriver to tighten them.

Idle is way too high for that cooler. That can't be caused by just bad airflow in my opinion.

14. Phreakuency

Phreakuency Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Titan
    Thanks everyone for the input :)

So I added another fan to the radiator, so as suggested one on each side for a push/pull.

Due to the design of the case, I couldn't have either a fan, nor the radiator outside the case. But going against Corsair's recommendations and listening to you guys, I have changed the direction to blow out of the back of the case.

I also removed the door above the power supply.

Idle has dropped to 35C and 100% load for just over an hour now is sitting at 62C.

So -5C idle and nearly -10C load. Very happy.

And yes Mike, I had previously checked to see the H90 was screwed in correctly.

Cheers

15. Nichtswisser

Nichtswisser Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DC2 4GB
    Physics are your friend^^ Generally it's best to experiment a bit what works best, yet the laws of physics give you some clues about what might work and what probably not.

Warmer air is usually lighter than cooler air which means hot air should be blown out somewhere at the top of the case where it ends up anyway and fresh air blown in at the bottom. So yes, having the H90 blow out is the right decision as otherwise the warm air would remain inside the case and slowly raise the temperatures.