need advice building pc

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by swla90, Nov 26, 2008.

1. swla90

swla90 New Member

GPU:
    Intel GMA X3100
    hi,

im trying to build a desktop computer but i have no idea where to start.
    need some advice thanks.

400$ budget

cpu : xxx
    memory : xxx
    videocard : 8800 gts ( already have the gpu )
    motherboard : xxx
    psu : 550 watt ( already have the psu )
    case : xxx

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  2. kRze

kRze Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 280 SSC|24" Dell
    I really dont think you can squeeze all that into a $300 budget. You might want to save up a bit more. You can probably get a Mobo/CPU/RAM for around $275ish, but getting a PSU and CASE as well... well you just have to save up some more. At least $400ish.

3. swla90

swla90 New Member

GPU:
    Intel GMA X3100
    hmm okay i have a extra psu thats around 550 watt i think. i guess ill just use that and ill bump up my budget to 400. any advice?

4. kRze

kRze Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 280 SSC|24" Dell

5. swla90

swla90 New Member

GPU:
    Intel GMA X3100
    what about a amd setup?

6. DmZ

DmZ Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260@285 Speeds
    The first thing you should ask yourself is what do you primarily want to DO with your new computer?

After this, you then need to ask yourself what your expectations are given your budget.

These are two important questions all builders should ask themselves IMO because not only do they influence each other, but they will determine what kind of components you buy more than anything else.

For example, if all you want to do is game... I strongly support going with Intel this time. I have been both an AMD and Intel user over the years, and at the current moment, Intel is *the* chip maker for mid-to-high-end gaming rigs.

If, however, you don't game that much and are more into multimedia (DVD; HD), photo editing and general computing tasks a AMD 64 X2 AM/AM2+ chip clocked around 2.8, 3.0 GHz would probably be the better value for you because they are slightly below Intel at the moment in both price and performance... But for high performance budget builds you will not see better hardware.