Need a sticky for PHYSX on ATI only systems. Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Videocards - Intel ARC & ARC Driver section' started by pixelsmack, Nov 15, 2011.

1. pixelsmack

pixelsmack Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX-580sc (3gb)
    I know, originally, PhysX is suppose to use your CPU if there is no nVidia option present. Meaning as a non-nvidia card user you can still see PhysX effects.

Is this still true?

Assuming the above was true at some point, I have heard, prior to PhysX 3.0, it did use the CPU but only a single thread, was non-optimized and was quite slow. But now 3.0 uses more threads and more SSE optimizations and on 4-core or more systems can run even faster than a GPU option. No nvidia needed with those higher core systems.

Is this true?

Do games need to be updated to work with PhysX 3.0 or will simply installing a PhysX 3.0 driver update the games PhysX capabilities?

2. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Physx 3.0 won't need any driver installations, it'll be part of the game.

You can use physx on your cpu and it is multi-threaded, depending on how well it works is up to the developer when it comes to physx 2.8.x

If you ever wanted to get an NV card for physx, there's a hybrid physx mod article here:
    http://physxinfo.com/news/6496/hybrid-physx-mod-1-05ff-is-available/
    I can't put down the link directly to the forum post, so navigate through that article.

Hope that helps :)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  3. NeuroFunkeR

NeuroFunkeR Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte NV WF3 670GTX
    i have a question, can i use my old Geforce 8800GT as physx processor, with an ATI GPU?

4. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    read here

There are probably newer 'hacked' drivers around, you'd need to search for them

5. NeuroFunkeR

NeuroFunkeR Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte NV WF3 670GTX
    oh nice, thx, i tought it would work more simpler.

6. pekka

pekka Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX580twin frozr PE
    can i use a 7800gtx for physx with a hd6970? without alot of hassle or do i have to go Nvidia ie GTX570/580 to get the performance of a HD6970?

7. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    no,physx on the gpu is only available on nvidia cards from the 8 series on.