Need a new wireless router

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by memorex11218, Jul 29, 2009.

1. memorex11218

memorex11218 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Kingpin 780Ti
    Moved from Networking:

Its time to get a new wireless router. My old Linksys BEFW11S4 in needed to be constantly reset and wireless is trash on it even with the latest firmware. I will never get Linksys again just due to all the frustration that this one caused me.

I don't know alot about networking, but it needs to support WPA2 and needs to be easily set up. Since I found out how easy it is to hijack a WAP connection, security is important since I live in a big apartment building. It preferably needs to have 4 gigabit ports. I don't know anything about router firewalls and data rates but I can tell you I download alot of big stuff that can fill up 500GB is a week and all the PCs (3 wired, 1 wireless laptop) have firewalls on them (Comodo). My set up is the standard ******** surfboard modem provided by OptimumOnline to router. What would you guys recommend?

Is this one good? Trying to stay below $100
    D-Link DIR-655
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127215

EDIT: wow, since when is M O T O R O L A a blocked word?

BTW: Can someone please explain to me how to actually move my treads instead of editing the old one out and creating a new one.

2. icywind32

icywind32 Master Guru

GPU:
    ati 6970 2gb
    ilooks good :) especially with everything going faster N is a good and affordable solution :) 300 Mb ftw

3. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Words that you wouldn't expect to be banned are because of spammers. But yeah, stay away from Linksys. Terrible, terrible products.

4. Lethal Abz

Lethal Abz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 470
    netgear is good

5. hartofalyon

hartofalyon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 9800 GT 512mb
    i swear by dlink products. the one you linked to looks good.

6. EAK

EAK Master Guru

GPU:
    ZT-P10800H-10P
    Remember, if you go cheap, you may end up buying two. Spend the extra 50 bucks and buy the dlink dgl-4500, I have one..ill never need another one. It kicks @$$.

7. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    I swear by the Linksys WRT series. Never had a single problem.

8. memorex11218

memorex11218 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Kingpin 780Ti
    Thank you all for your replies. I will get the one I posted.

I have one more question.

I read somewhere that upgrading the SURFboard modem will greatly increase the connection speed. Is this true? If it is, can it be upgraded to work with the existing OptimumOnline service and is this something that isn't that complicated to do?

9. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    When I moved to Vista, I had nothing but headaches with Linksys...Dlink wasn't much better. I now have a Belkin that I've had for a couple of years with no problems, whatsoever.