Need a little help in the monitor jungle.

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by Saturate, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Saturate

Saturate Member

GPU:
    GTX 780 TI DirectCU II
    Hello!

So the perfect display for me is a 1440p IPS Ultra-wide screen with 144Hz
    & 1ms response with low input lag. Seeing as this is impossible to get, what do I get?

There are a great deal of factors.

• I want 144Hz for the game smoothness. (Or well above 60+)
    • I want 1440p for more resolution, I looove resolution. But not 4K yet.
    • The ultra wide thing, is just becouse I really like that form factor, seems great for games (that support it) and for movies.
    • Low response rate and input lag, well for gaming.
    • IPS, for clear colors when I'm editing my pictures.

So I want everything, but I can't get it. What would be a good compromise, and what would you miss the most?

2. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    You're not going to get anything well over 60 Hz on IPS. Well, not unless you get a Korean thing and overclock. What's your budget? The ROG SWIFT PG278Q is out next month and is looking SWEET.

3. Saturate

Saturate Member

GPU:
    GTX 780 TI DirectCU II
    I know :-( I just want a nice screen right now, a month is a bit long to wait seeing as I only have a TV right now.

I've seen the SWIFT, it looks pretty damn nice - but I guess it will be hard to get it at launch - let alone wait for it a month+.

Budget is below 1000 dollars, but not that much of a problem.

4. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    You could always pick up a cheapy monitor somewhere to use in the interim? I have the same problem as you, but looking at what's out there I reckon it's worth waiting.

The Dell UltraSharp U2713HM might be worth looking at otherwise...

5. Saturate

Saturate Member

GPU:
    GTX 780 TI DirectCU II
    Yeah I guess. I'm going to the Roskilde Festival at the end of this month, so the wait might not be that bad.

I'll think about just take the pain and use my Sony TV for now, then the upgrade will also feel much better.

6. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    Roskilde is meant to be awesome!!! I went to Lowlands a few years ago, and that was incredible. You're a lucky man!!

I feel your pain though. I'm using a 23" monitor at the moment, and although the screen is nice it's SO small!!

7. Saturate

Saturate Member

GPU:
    GTX 780 TI DirectCU II
    Roskilde Festival is super awesome, and it's a whole week so it will make the waiting much shorter. I'll not even think about computers this week I guess :)

I live in Roskilde city so it's not my first festival, I can highly recommend it! It's very hard to explain the "orange feeling", you have to experience it!

I'll survive, but I just hope it's released soon, if not I think I'm going with a ASUS 1080p 144Hz, I've seen some great reviews.

Ugh, that's a little small yes :-b

8. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Is 60+ Hz a big deal really for gaming?

These ultrawide monitors are peaking my interests for movies and gaming... but mostly movies.

9. Saturate

Saturate Member

GPU:
    GTX 780 TI DirectCU II
    Most people I talk with say that they would prefer 60Hz+ over anything else.

10. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    The problem with 60Hz is that you always need to compromise somewhere. Want no tearing? Enable Vsync and enjoy your input lag. Want less input lag? Enjoy your tearing everywhere. Stutter at any framerate not equal to 60 is quite visible particularly when dropping below 60,a and FPS such as 60 and 80 does cause jitter that could be generally acceptable but nowhere near the low amounts of jitter with FPS higher than high refresh rates such as 120Hz.

60Hz+, such as 75Hz, 96Hz, 110Hz, 120Hz, and 144Hz are all quite smoother than 60Hz. Generally, the higher rates give much more smoothness, reduced motion blur, much reduced input lag, much less tearing (to the point where even when looking for tearing you might not easily spot it), and much reduced Vsync stutter if you decided to enable Vsync instead.

Naturally, the real remedy to all these issues is matching up a high refresh rate with a variable refresh rate technology such as G-Sync (shown to work already) or FreeSync (industry standard, not yet in market, many unanswered questions, but supposed to work if monitor manufacturers add in support).