Need a 4K freesync monitor on a budget...

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by Danny_G13, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Hey, so I currently have a very decent 24 inch Sammie U24E590 (£230 back in the day) - really good image quality and the viewing angle is outstanding - but the freesync is a bust so I can't use it for the new Nvidia compatibility at all.

So I got myself a BenQ 28 inch EL2870U - quite honestly while the freesync did work (albeit not in RE2 in DX12 mode) that was about the only good thing about it. £300 and the 'HDR' was pretty naff and the image quality in general was poor - the viewing angle was horrendous as the top half looked way darker than the bottom with eye level anything significant below the top of the screen - no way to get a good universal image. Can't understand a lot of the positive reviews that unit gets.

ANYWAY:

I'm seeking a good quality 28 inch 4K screen with a much better viewing angle and which has excellent freesync response with gsync etc. HDR would be useful but not critical. I'm also ok with a smaller screen. Budget is between £200-£400.

Any advice appreciated.

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Using a U28E510 4K here (Costco version of U28E590) at 32-60 Freesync range, and 10bit color. (No HDR support) It's a TN, but I use 40% brightness for good black levels and Group View Mode for excellent viewing angles. Set Digital Vibrance to 62% in NVCP, and a little tweak to my RGB settings, and it matches nicely in color to my IPS panel.

3. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Thanks for the reply but that one isn't available in the UK.

4. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Do you actually need a monitor? They are priced very poorly in comparison to modern 4k tvs which have much better response time than they did years back. I got a 43 inch for about the price of that 28ich monitor posted above (it was on sale but still, you get my point).
    I'm currently in the position of needing one however with a baby on the way and I can't keep rocking my violent fps shooters in the living room with a baby around. The one I am eyeing is this one:
    Asus VP28UQG
    Not sure about UK availability because I am in Taiwan but worth looking for.

5. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    TVs don’t have freesync that I’m aware of?

Ps congrats on the new arrival :)

tensai28 likes this.
  6. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Thanks. True; I don't think they do. At least none that I've seen. I've always just used regular vsync and tried to maintain 60fps (hence the 2080ti).

7. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Some TVs do, but the thing to look for is whether the TV supports DisplayPort.

@Danny_G13 Try looking for the Samsung UE590 28" 4K

8. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Freesync is a pre-requisite. If it doesn't have that or adaptive sync that the gsync compat can use, it's no good.

EDIT: that monitor suggestion is as bad as my current one, sadly. Sammie low budget freesync monitors' freesync implementation is hideous.

9. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    If by hideous, you mean 32-60 FS range and butter smooth gameplay on a GTX1070, then we have different opinions, as I'm very happy with my experience. Good luck on your search.

10. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Agreed,
    I have a Freesync 2 (144Hz) monitor, as well as an older Freesync 75Hz monitor, and with an RX VEGA64 each, I get buttery smooth gameplay even on the older Freesync monitor, it doesn't have to be 144Hz to be smooth.

Edit - Sorry for going OT, have ignored him so you won't find me posting OT to him.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019

11. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    You've had a positive experience compared with these two:

"GTX 1080 FE (non ti), EVGA
    U28E590D Samsung (4k, 40-60 freesync range)

Monitor is a mess with this turned on including ghost imaging, flashing, and pulsing. This monitor is a no go at this time.

[​IMG]
    snail_maze

Oct 27, 2017

Jan 17, 2019

WhippyLizard said:
    GTX 1080 FE (non ti), EVGA
    U28E590D Samsung (4k, 40-60 freesync range)

Monitor is a mess with this turned on including ghost imaging, flashing, and pulsing. This monitor is a no go at this time.
    I just now turned it on on my U28E570D, where do you have the most problems? The ufo freesync test seems to work

Edit: Ah yeah, I'm getting stuttering in games, too bad"

I think I'll need more than luck at this point!

But I have found a couple of contenders in my price range. This thing/experiment looks like it's going to be trial and error.

12. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Agreed with what? You're on a 144Hz and a 75Hz monitor and an AMD card which freesync is built for.

You agreeing with him is literally completely failing to understand what he's saying or what this thread is asking!

No offence like!

13. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Same, always been my method, but it's rarely been possible to achieve, and certainly not possible at 4K consistently. Hence adaptive sync becomes a player at this point because right now I can't justify £1000 on a graphics card which is only 20-30% better at most than a 1080Ti.

14. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Okay then, so your point is that it has to be an nGreedia card? Well, I did run an RTX 2080 Ti on that monitor, as well as a GTX1080 before that, and they were buttery smooth as well. Happy?

15. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    I never drop below 60 at 4k with everything I have thrown at it and at 4k, especially aftermarket cards, the improvement is more than 30%. The price isn't great. I'll give you that but performance wise, it's a great card for 4k.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019

16. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    I find that very, very, very hard to believe. Give it Watch Dogs 2. Give it Odyssey. Hell even give it Origins! Or Wildlands -

Trust me, you might think you're getting 60fps+ in everything but I'd be stunned if you really were. I mean no disrespect. But.... this thread is getting derailed. Apologies.

17. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Overjoyed. Let's keep this on topic please :)

18. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    The problem with that example is that the user in question did not know to set the timings to Standard, instead of Faster or Fastest. When it is set to either, you will get blackouts, ghosting, etc. Set to Standard, you are golden. Never assume people online know what they are doing.

I discovered this since my monitor was set to Faster when first enabling, so I changed the settings to more compatible modes.

19. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    In their defence you're equally only assuming they don't have a clue :)

I've a new monitor arriving tomorrow - wish me luck!

20. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    I run an fps counter and I indeed maintain 60fps. Prefer to go by my own findings over some random youtuber considering I own the card already. I have assassins creed odyssey and it keeps 60fps perfectly fine with just volumetric clouds lowered. I highly suspect this user posting this video is cpu bottle-necked as those are all super intense cpu titles. I had to oc all the way to 4.9ghz just to keep 60fps on odyssey. This user is at 4.4ghz on a 7700k. Since a 7700k more or less equals a 9600k(my cpu) in gaming performance, I can say with confidence that he is most likely bottlenecked as I was experiencing some drops even at 4.5ghz on odyssey. My card is also running at 2100mhz which will give me a few more fps over him as well. Can't comment on the other games since I don't have them.
    If you don't want to spend money on the card, that's understandable. Hell, I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't sell my 1080ti. They did price these pretty poorly and there is no argument on that but let's not pretend these cards are doing worse than they actually are.

This video cherry picks the worst CPU optimized games and runs it with an average CPU. Using this to prove a GPU is under-performing is illogical.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019