Navi RDNA Owners Thread, Tests, Mods, BIOS & Tweaks !

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Jackalito

Jackalito Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 5700 XT
    Thanks, mate.
    For the record, when I mentioned the voltage bump to get rid of stutters on some games, I was talking about just the minimum one applied to the lowest frequency value. I don't have the links, but I saw some people discussing it on Reddit a couple of days ago.

Memory on my card must be Micron, as I can bump it all the way up to 950 MHz without apparent glitches - just need to test for performance.

I hope I can test some more games in the coming days, once I get rid of my current splitting headaches and I lower the medication again.

I can hardly think, especially in a language which is not my mother tongue, so apologies in advance for any misunderstanding in conveying my thoughts and ideas on the subject.

Cheers! :)

Mufflore, JonasBeckman and Maddness like this.
  2. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    So been playing around with explict Mgpu with direct X 12 since my other 5700 XT came back from RMA. Just ran this last one a few minutes ago not my best graphics score but my average. Driver is 19.9.3

SCORE 15 473 with AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT(1x) and AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
    Graphics Score
    CPU Score

Timespy only picks it up as a single gpu. This is why am showing radeon settings so you can see it is enabled. Yes you have to enable "crossfire" for multi gpu on dx12 to work.

[​IMG]

The_Amazing_X, OnnA, Undying and 2 others like this.
  3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=RADV-Navi-Random-Hangs-19.3

Wonder what the driver situation is in general for the 5700 and the NGG and other changes in particular though this could be entirely different between the Windows drivers, AMD's Linux drivers and the open source drivers too but it's a interesting find and some interesting fixes for the 5700 / Navi 10 :)

Particularly whatever additions the new code is running with compared to the older legacy path.
    https://gpuopen.com/radeon-gpu-profiler-1-6/

Though this is just a small bit of details and info and I don't have much of any knowledge on how this would then work so it's been a few days of reading up and learning more about the hardware and the software leading some interesting info though nothing really definitive. :D
    (Although a large part of it is way above my knowledge level and understanding so yeah but it's fascinating even for what little I do have some small understanding about though that's not much ha ha.)

19.9.3's driver do seem to be cutting down on the random black screen issues as well but random is random so could be nothing or could be a unlisted fix or just randomness and nothing might happen hah.
    And of course the driver situation do differ on Linux and between AMD and the open drivers too and the Linux and Windows OS bits as well but got me thinking a bit if there might be a similar issue but there's other things to be resolved as well such as the random drops or boosts of the clock speed which would be unrelated to this since it affect performance but not outright stability in most cases unless it crosses into unstable ranges for what this oscillation (?) with the performance curve is.
    (Well variance or whatever mostly from dips to very low values mostly for D3D9 but also the other API's to a lesser extent though less so for Vulkan and D3D12 from what I'm finding at least so far.)

Jackalito likes this.
  4. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    @JonasBeckman I'm so glad I have a 2160p monitor, so that I can read your posts without scrolling. Much. :D

Embra and Hypernaut like this.

5. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    Yeah I'm a bit of a outlier I suppose ha ha, regularly just writing up a bunch of these text walls.
    Curious how that will be in a few years with how social media and shorter text chats and such basically favors just using a few lines and various abbreviation and shortened terms that are nearly impossible to keep track of what means what these days at least for how I see it although there's room for both though this style of multiple-A4 pages of length of posts that I can sometimes get into is probably on the way out. :D

That and it usually crosses into a mix of info and random thoughts and ideas or suggestions or personal experiences and all manner of things no wonder the texts get a bit lengthy and then some of the subjects are also incredibly complex so trying to get it down to bare essentials isn't always easy either whenever I do try to keep things a bit short because I do know not everyone likes longer texts though that's understandable too plus it's probably worse for anyone using this site via a mobile device but even on a computer you do get eye fatigue and such from the display after a while and all kinds of other conditions and setups that can affect comfort and that sort of thing.

As to the short (Well, sorta.) of it well curious about the driver state particularly for Navi and this NGG and a possibility about bugs maybe with shaders or elsewhere which this might be some indication of or it could be entirely unrelated or resolve a entirely different issue because software code and how that works and how it's all kinda connected dependent on one thing or another. :D
    (Intel, AMD's and NVIDIA's driver teams must have quite the task working with whatever mass of code is now in these newer drivers.)

Not much to do for now though just wait and see what 19.10.1 will be resolving and from there to whatever is next out plus the December feature driver. (Integer scaling perhaps but there's probably more coming once that launches.)

Sides it's a new GPU using RDNA building from GCN and lots of tech stuff and new code and of course there's going to be a possibility of early issues and it'll be smooth once these get worked out and resolved. :D
    (Nothing new there, affects all of the GPU vendors too to various degrees also.)

EDIT: Although my own experiences so far with Navi10 has mostly been minor hiccups.
    (Not bad really plus I really like the hardware so if the software can be fixed up in a few months more of driver releases that bodes really well for the upcoming GPU's using RDNA.)

Embra and OnnA like this.
  6. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    @JonasBeckman been the same for me with all my different navi cards so far. Pretty easy sailing minor hiccup on day 1 buy that was pcie set to auto and not gen 3. Easy fix in the bios set and forget.

I know I am far from the average user but really now having had 4 of them at one point or another not getting all these issue people reporting is now sounding odd. I should of least experienced some of these issues. Instead I am ekking out every last bit of performance. I have frequent driver changes as well and also swap back to public drivers at times as well. Which I am currently on.

Though the pattern I am have been seeing with people having issues seems to be too much of a undervolt on the core. People are not realizing the core has an IMC for the gddr6 and needs enough voltage to run correctly with the vram already sitting at max frequency. Also noticing a lot of people who have undervolted have also overclocked the gddr6 to 900 or even higher.

As for people with stuttering in games...once again I am back to seeing the core of the gpu being power starved one way or another. Some from undervolting some from just not enough cooling and some just I dunno how to even explain.

I know I run my gpus with an overvolt, was gonna do the water cooling rebuild today, and get the my 2nd 5700 XT under a waterblock, but after I got everything all layed out, I decided to take a nap and slept most of the day away. Anyhow I need that overvolt to achieve the clocks I want to try and hit. And really it is just my hobby thing.

I am still gonna get with you once I have the 2nd gpu under water. So I can pick at your brain on something I want to try and see if I can do.

Embra and Jackalito like this.
  7. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    VRAM seems to be the main candidate for some of these issues at least, I did resolve the screen corruption issue by reducing the initial overclock down even if games worked well which far as I am thinking happened likely from a lack of voltage going by how the Fury and Vega memory artifacts worked when pushed above defaults because they needed a bit more juice but voltage on these were locked and for Navi even if the GDDR6 can be adjusted there is no separate voltage setting so if it's tied to the core voltage or how it can scale then it becomes very important to set it up correctly and also ensure it's stable under many different conditions and usage cases and also various graphics API's though more than that I don't really know much on yet.

Seeing how the memory artifacts happened I am also curious if it's from how the cards clock back down after exiting a graphically intensive program and the voltage can't really keep up so it errors out although AMD did something in a earlier driver release to mitigate outright blue-screen crashes with memory clock adjustments and also crashes from on the fly adjustments while a game is running.
    (Which is quite a feat if it's really that sensitive even when set during idle clock states and little or no activity.)

Little available info, everything being fairly new and still trying to learn what I can but it's only been just over two weeks so far and most of it is very technical so it's not going to be easy ha ha.

The random black screen error is curious too but since 19.9.3 it hasn't occurred at least yet though it could be related to VRAM too only showing as a signal loss and at worse levels full GPU TDR and reset or full crash and forcing a hard reset to get it back which also varies from the reports I'm reading which are all over the place from stock settings to overclocked or undervolted or both OC and UV so getting that issue tracked down seems like a problem.

Could be related but could be something else, limited details on the VRAM and what it reports back is also complicating things and then there being at least Samsung and Micron memory chips likely with differences in fabrication and who knows what more, Vega 56 had lower clocks but tigher timings than Vega 64 although the speed mattered more but there could be similar differences here and who knows maybe the issue is more prevalent on the custom design Micron boards akin to the R9 290 issues with Elpida memory chips and black screen crashes though AMD did something in software to resolve that as I recall or at least make it less crash prone but showing as a short blink of the display or something like that.
    (Fixed around three or four months after the Fury coming out I think.)

EDIT: That and my own knowledge level on this subject is pretty limited, know a few things on a number of subjects here but nothing too in-depth of specialized or how to call it though I like learning how this works and knowing what these issues are and more details or info on how they work and ideally what they get activated by would be helpful as I see it but it's not always easy to find this info and normally AMD just resolves it with a quick mention in the release notes and that puts an end to whatever it was. :D
    (Something caused it and that something then gets fixed, good enough really long as the issue's resolved and doesn't come back.)

EDIT: Also with the custom designs and how Sapphire going by the PCB analysis and cooler tear down videos of the Pulse and Nitro+ (And also a couple of others and their Navi 5700 and 5700 XT designs.) go out of their way to improve cooling for the VRAM chips obviously they kinda need this such as the Pulse and the separate cooling block of metal over them and for the Nitro that block is changed again and made bigger but also improves VRAM temperatures even further despite running at the same speeds.

And probably still very sensitive to adjusting it higher due to hardware differences and variances between every single GPU thus varying the effective max clocks and voltage settings when fine tuning these.
    (And other things.)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  8. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    The vram gddr6 voltage can be adjusted however we have no real way to monitor it. No sensor for actually monitoring. Then add to it there is another voltage that has to be adjusted in step with changes to the main vram power and we also do not know what this table is.

Jackalito and JonasBeckman like this.
  9. Jackalito

Jackalito Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 5700 XT
    Any chance AMD will fix the PCIe 4.0 situation any time soon?
    Because if I have to run mine at 3.0, I'm gonna lose some bandwidth since it's installed in the second PCIe slot of my X570 mobo.

Thanks.

10. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    AMD bios issues I just do not know anything about. I only know about some bios issue due to my extensive bios modding for my boards.

Though pcie 4.0 at set to 3.0 with just 8x should not be an issue as you are near bandwidth saturation anyhow.

Jackalito and JonasBeckman like this.

11. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    Anyhow another new high in Superpostion 1080 Extreme on a 5700 XT Just took back number one with a 5700 XT

[​IMG]

Jackalito likes this.
  12. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 2060 SUPER
    I don't think it's up to AMD to fix it, but up to motherboard manufacturers, how they make motherboard and bios. Perhaps AGESA 1.0.0.4 will fix your problems

Jackalito likes this.
  13. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    Does Navi10 hit any major performance issues from that at all? Pretty sure it's minimal if anything but yeah they do also need to solve the 4.0 issues if that's still a thing for 1.0.0.3 ABBA currently if AMD hasn't resolved it yet and then once that's out whatever time it takes for some of these less active with bios updates manufacturers to roll it into their motherboards as available updates for the full bios.

Pretty sure the current cards aren't really saturating the 3.0 bus but it probably also differs particularly if the NVME SSD slots are utilized and drawing on PCI-E bandwidth if the current designs can get those kinds of speeds by now and other factors, something I'm not too well versed in due to older hardware and needing to catch up a bit on how this all works on modern systems now. :)
    (Pretty sure there's no real risk but then it's still a issue that needs to be fixed anyway so hopefully it gets resolved quickly maybe as part of those 100 some improvements in 1.0.0.4 when that's available.)

EDIT: Ah I see the bandwidth availability and situation with Navi has been brought up, guess it's not as big of a problem in terms of how much of a performance loss it incurs then with the workaround and setting the bios so that the motherboard is using a lower version for PCI-E for compatibility until this gets fixed.

EDIT: There, now with more grammar and English. :D

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    Jackalito likes this.
  14. Jackalito

Jackalito Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 5700 XT
    Thanks, guys for the insight.

Admittedly, I haven't had teething issues lately, but I agree that I may have to wait for AGESA 1.0.0.4 for the PCIe 4.0 to be finally ironed out.

Cheers!

15. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD

16. Jackalito

Jackalito Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 5700 XT
    @mtrai what is the minimum voltage that you think is necessary to get rid of stuttering issues?
    Apex Legends is giving me issues at 1900@1015mV

I've finally given in, and set PCIe to 3.0 on the BIOS. I'm also currently testing drivers 19.9.3, as I suffered a sudden reboot upon one of the times I launched Apex Legends with drivers 19.10.1, though it was before I set PCIe to 3.0.

Suggestions, thoughts?

17. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RX 5700 XT OC
    Do I have to enable GPU scaling for Image Sharpening to work?

18. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
  19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Not at all.

20. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Master Guru

GPU: