Native resolution suddenly missing!!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by SmoTaN, Mar 30, 2009.

1. SmoTaN

SmoTaN Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS HD7850 2GB DCII
    Hi all,

I seem to have this weird problem so if anyone can help I would be very grateful, thanks.

Today when I started my PC I suddenly noticed that my resolution switched back from 1680x1050 to 1440x900! When I went in the Catalyst CCC to change it I don't have any option but instead it gives me as 1440x900 and 1600x1200! Same happens if I try to do it via Windows (btw I'm using Vista X64)!

Another thing is that I noticed that the Catalyst CCC doesnt report my monitor correctly it just says "default monitor" while before it detected the correct model KTC2005 (it's a 20" KTC LCD)!

I tried the following things with no success: I uninstalled the drivers through the Catalyst Install manager and installed newer ones (went from 9.2 to 9.3) but no thing changed! I also physically removed the card and re-seated and re-checked all the cables just to make sure but still no luck!

I don't know if it is a software error (windows, drivers) or maybe hardware, graphics card or monitor! The previous day I installed .NET 1.1 but I don't think that would be the problem as it worked perfectly after that and I haven't changed my drivers since 9.2 came out so don't have any idea what could have caused this it just suddenly happened when I booted my PC!

I'm trying to avoid reinstalling the windows so if anyone has any tip to help out or has had similar experience please help.

Thanks.

2. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    So you can't force 1680x1050 with CCC?

you could try ATI tray tools

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  3. ReDi

ReDi Member Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire HD4870 CF
    Does your monitor vendor supply monitor drivers, or should it work using Plug & Play? Did you try plugging in the monitor in the second DVI socket?

4. SmoTaN

SmoTaN Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS HD7850 2GB DCII
    I can't force it through the CCC it only allows me to select 1440x900 or 1600x1200 and both resolutions work but this monitor's native resolution is 1680x1050! I also tried the second DVI but with the same result! The monitor has analog D-SUB connector so I conect it through a DVI converter!

I don't believe there is any driver for the monitor btw so far it has worked perfectly for almost 2 years and in a lot of different configurations!

5. bokah

bokah Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    this looks to be happening on both nvidia and ati recently

6. ReDi

ReDi Member Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire HD4870 CF
    Then it must be Windows :)

7. SmoTaN

SmoTaN Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS HD7850 2GB DCII
    This really weird as when I started my PC today everything went back to normal and now the monitor is correctly detected again!!!

But there was a power outage in the morning and maybe that fixed it I'm guessing it was probably the monitor, something with it's electronic parts!!!

Anyway now everything looks to be working just fine, thanks guys for the help.