1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nat type Strict, how to change it to Moderate or Open? Behind a router from my ISP.

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by az el, Jun 14, 2019.

1. az el

az el New Member

GPU:
    nvidia
    Hi. I'm having a Nat type strict, checked using the Xbox networking method on Win10 (Settings---Gaming---Xbox Networking).

Firstly, the problem I suspect, is I'm behind a router from my ISP. as my normal setup (ISP cable to my Wan port) I see the status page, and I have a Wan IP of 192.168.254.X I tried the following:

- Set the router as bridge mode (Give new lan IP same as ISP 192.168.254.X (before it was 192.168.0.X) and disable DHCP), still Nat strict.

- Set router as bridge mode (Give new lan IP and disable DHCP) and put laptop's IP as DMZ, still Nat strict.

Is the only solution left is to a buy static IP from ISP? and after buying one what should I do? call them? Sorry I never bought a static IP before.

2. SweenJM

SweenJM Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 590 nitro
    Static vs. Dynamic ip address isn't your problem. Your problem is port forwarding. Bridging your router is going to cause you more problems than it solves. Make a dhcp exception for your device so its ip won't change (functionally the same as giving it static ip), then forward whatever ports you need forwarded for whatever games you are playing to the ip that is bound to your mac (the dhcp exception you made). Dmz is a good way to get outside firewall, but i don't recommend it unless you have no reason for the system to have firewall/nat. If you want to use dmz, then use the ip you set an exception for as your dmz ip address. Port scanner software can be helpful for such things. I like nmap. Leasing a static ip from your isp only means your external ip won't change. Won't help with port forwarding or nat issues.
    • Port 88 (UDP)
    • Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
    • Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
    • Port 80 (TCP)
    • Port 500 (UDP)
    • Port 3544 (UDP)
    • Port UDP 4500 (UDP)
    These are the ports that the xbox live nat type tool is checking (according to microsoft), so these are the one you should try forwarding first....but that doesn't mean those are the only ones you will need to forward (depends on what you play, download, stream, etc.)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  3. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti GamingX
    There should never be a reason why these are block on router level if you have not done it yourself.

Do you have Anti-virus Software installed with internet protection or something similar enabled?

SweenJM likes this.
  4. SweenJM

SweenJM Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 590 nitro
    What he said. make sure any software firewall is disabled.