My trick for better Skyrim performance

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by guy_uoft, Nov 15, 2011.

1. guy_uoft

guy_uoft Active Member

First I'd like to say I discovered this by accident and have no idea why it works. I alt-tabbed out of the game to search for a quest on the web, then when I alt-tabbed back to the game (took two tries, the first try only gets back to a black window), the game was running significantly smoother.

I've been doing this every time I play since, and every time before alt-tabbing I'd experience stuttering, however after alt-tabbing it's much smoother. It works for both eyefinity and one screen.

My configuration is 6970+6950, 11.10 preview 3, cap 4.

Once again I have no idea why it works like that, and this might not work for you, but it's worth a try.

2. Plug2k

Plug2k Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte Fe 1080TI +WB
    Placebo Effect.
    Its been done on other forums from various people including myself.
    its Placebo....

3. guy_uoft

guy_uoft Active Member

It's definitely not that, one I never thought it would happen the first time, so it couldn't have been placebo the very first time. Secondly it is VERY noticeable, especially when you move the mouse and look around. Stuttering and smooth feels very different.

4. panaghoy88

panaghoy88 Member

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 560 1 GB DDR5
    How is that placebo? He DID say that it was stuttering before alt-tabbing. I would like to see it for myself.

5. Andeby

Andeby Active Member

GPU:
    AMD HD6990 4GB
    Doesn't alt+tabbing sometimes help Crossfire work? I am quite sure that was a solution for some in BF3.

6. causese1990

causese1990 Member

GPU:
    AMD Sapphire 6970 CFX
    Yeah it works until you load, save...

this is how i fixed my poor performance.
    but my thread got deleted.. dunno why :bang:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  7. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    cuz it's a steam game & you shouldnt be able to rename steam games, so they probably deleted due to piracy

or the xtremeg link

8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Using RadeonPro and enabling the Oblivion profile should do the same trick as renaming the EXE. Correct me if I'm wrong.

9. asder00

asder00 Don Di Driver Staff Member

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64 Liquid
    Yes same thing.

10. sisnow

sisnow Member

GPU:
    HIS 6970 CF 2GB
    using redeon pro with oblivion profile does help fps boost in some area, but not all.
    after observation, i noticed that it mostly improve the fps in the scene where the fps was originally relative high without radeon pro (prorably increase fps 60 to 90).
    however, in some scene such as marketplace of a town or city, crowded by npc, or facing wide field with lots of large objects (such as houses), there was no much improvement after using radeon pro.

11. MadelineX

MadelineX Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 295x2
    Strangely enough, it does work. I bog down to 17-24 fps after the game saves or transitions through either a door or into town or any other kind of fresh cell. Alt-tabbing out leads me to the black window as well. A second alt tab back into the game and running at v-synched 60.1 fps. Each time this will work.

I thought maybe ULPS mode might be the culprit, but the issue still persists after disabling the feature.

Googling alt-tab and fps brings to my attention that this is a short term band-aid (a very inconvenient band-aid) that emerges for various games periodically over the years. I haven't found a distinct cause yet though.

SO.. not much a solution, but a symptom of something else.

btw- this is a crossfire only issue and will probably be fixed with CAPS or driver (at least that's how it's supposed work.)

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Sorry your thread got deleted mate..I feel kinda bad for you actually.

It may have been the XG link....

13. guy_uoft

guy_uoft Active Member

Glad it worked for you :)

14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Agreed though not using the profile gives me a steady 25-30fps so I stick to it. Another issue (probably related to the profile) would be that I experience micro stuttering while indoors and looking at corners or certain portion of walls while standing close to them. I suppose the proof would be that the FPS counter displays a steady 60fps output when this occurs. Microstuttering is otherwise something I never experience.

15. Del_Boy

Del_Boy Banned

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 (2560x1600)
    ok thats great, one question (for the rest of the world aswell), who or what in the hell is Placebo Effect ?????

16. Pharow89

Pharow89 New Member

GPU:
    Xfire 6970
    To the op: the reason you are seeing a performance increase after alt tab is most likely the fact that crossfire is only used for full screen applications. That's right, crossfire does not work in windowed mode under any circumstance, regardless of setting in catalyst. My guess is simply that you had been playing the game w crossfire, currently broken and working more slowly than a single card. When you alttab walla, the xfire is disabled and you see an apreciable increase in performance. You will get the same performance if you simpy disable xfire altogether until xfire is fully supported

17. sisnow

sisnow Member

GPU:
    HIS 6970 CF 2GB
    i guess turning off vertical sync might help solve the stutter problem

18. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Maybe so, but I did try running the game without Vsync and the tearing is so extreme that I find the game unplayable.

I did some more testing yesterday and my opinion would be that the Oblivion profile introduces some microstuttering while for example standing in front of a table that is aligned to a wall and bobbing the camera up/down. FPS will remain at 60 but the stuttering is conciderable. If you then turn the camera toward the center of the room, the stuttering instantly disappears and moving the camera is once again supersmooth (still @ 60fps). This test is done without Triple Buffering so I have to test with TB enabled. I also checked the Crysis profile but it does not work well either since the FPS can suddenly be cut by 15 after using the interface in some way (map, inventory). It does not seem to get back up to 60 (unless Alt-Tab once...sometimes).

19. gx-x

gx-x Maha Guru

GPU:
    1070 G1
    CFX does not calculate ragdolls, animations, AI etc. It only renders (like any video card, if we exclude PhysX driven titles) what the CPU sends. So, if engine is not using using CPU properly, no amount of cores or VGA cards is going to render that marketplace any better.
    In short - CFX has nothing to do with bad framerate in towns. CPU is responsible for "rendering" those but even so, CPU can only do what game engine tell is it to do. In Skyrim, game engine and CPU seem to speak two different languages and communication seems to be handled via sign language or some erratic body movements :D

20. Artifice

Artifice Member

GPU:
    unlocked 6950 2Gig xfire
    simple tweak is to reduce shadows from ultra to high (in my case). for some reason with shadows on ultra it causes both my gpu's to max out according to afterburner, with shadows on high i can max everything + have a ton of AF/AA and still have some headroom on both gpu's for combat/cities, cant play it if it's lagging in any way

need to spend some time adjusting the ini to max out shadows for my setup, somewhere inbween ultra and high, maybe flick a few extra switchs for extra detail

it'd be alot of trial and error :(, why should i waist my time doing it :(, damn you bethesda with your ****ty unrealistic predefined settings :infinity: :bang: :banana: :puke2:

And use the oblivion profile with radeonpro, screw waiting for AMD