My Thermaltake 480w Silent Pure Power is not strong enaugh?

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by FNK, Sep 14, 2005.

1. FNK

FNK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTR 480 XXX
    Ok, I have a TT Silent pure power
    LINK to Spec

I can OC to only 238 FSB!? Why?
    Past that the system is fully stable as long as the system does not pushed to the limit of it's power.

There are two simptoms that result if OC past 238FSB.
    -Reboot
    -Hang indefinitively

No mather how much volt I push to the CPU, it just keep happening again.
    The system wont boot half the time if OCed to 245FSB and past 247FSB the bios can't even load, and I got a message ( I think ) but its all fuzzy whit many colors. Kind of an artifact.

Sooo what do you Gurus think of that? I might be wrong, I think it COULD be the PSU.

2. chickenRUN

chickenRUN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 7950
    Probably not psu, probably ram. (and seeing your running stock heatsink, your temps probably arent great for 1.5v on a prescott)

3. FNK

FNK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTR 480 XXX
    Yes its a stock one, but no it's not a Prescott, and it's running at 1.585vcore. Asus board add .050volt. Don't know why.

And why do you suggest my Ram? It's running under their original frequency, so no trouble on this side. I think.

4. Kenshai

Kenshai Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Radeon 9800XT / 479/790
    cpus/mobos/ram usually becomes more unstable when the multipler is chagned from 1:1.

you might've just hit your limit.

ive got the same cpu as you, and my 12v is VERY low. 11.5v, do you get this?

5. FNK

FNK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTR 480 XXX
    On load or all the time?

Idle : ±12.038v
    Load (Prime 95) : ±11.916v, sometimes peak at 12.855v

I does that even if everything is at stock setting.

But I don't get why i've reach my limit? I mean, Im making a very successefull OC. Stable and all, up until 239FSB, the temps never goes above 50c and 52c if I reach 40c+ in the case.

So there is still room to work :(

One stated It get unstable if not 1:1. Did they oc the P4 3.8@7ghz on 5:4 multiplier or 1:1?

I really do want to reach 3.6ghz Stable, this time.
    And "Kenshai" what did you did more than me to reach that more. All though you have a 3.2c.
    Can you tell me on what vcore you run it?

6. chickenRUN

chickenRUN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 7950
    The 7+ ghz runs are on ddr2 ram thats rated in upwards to 1000mhz (pc8000)

Your motherboard probably doesnt run stable with a mutliplier on the ram. Only other thing I can say is invest in some new ram.

7. FNK

FNK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTR 480 XXX
    Eh! Its my first year in an appartement. Im kind of not rich. I can right away run to the store and buy myself a nice pair of 512x4 DDR500, but i need to be sure to have money for the rest of the year... But yes im planning to go DDR500 at christmass. Running at 5:4 kill the bandwight !