My PC restarts on boot after 3 sec??? Overclocking?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by pcgeek*, Aug 12, 2011.

Tags:
  1. pcgeek*

pcgeek* Member

GPU:
    GTX 580
    Computer shuts down during startup?
    Recently got a new computer. When I power on it starts and after 3 sec (WHILE STILL BOOTING -NOT REACHED WINDOWS YET) it shuts down and then restarts???? Why would this happen. 750 watt PSU and P8z68 motherboard. All new? Whats the problem?

Hi everyone, I found out why my pc was booting twice on startup. I recently bought me a new cpu i7 2600k. It comes with a software program that enables you to overclock the cpu by 30% to a 4.5 ghz. When i overclock it happens. When I turn the pc on it turns on for about 3 sec, turns completely off for 3 sec and turns back on. It never tells me the pc wasn't switched off properly or gives me any errors. Is this a safety precaution? can it harm my motherboard? I uninstalled the program again and it works fine now. Does this mean I cannot overclock my cpu?

2. GandraZz

GandraZz Master Guru

GPU:
    555m 2GB 665/1330 FHD
    Its normal, as far i remember this is coold boot bug. My pc have it too.

3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Its normal. Turn PLL overvoltage off if you dont want it to do it.

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    ^^I have pll overvoltage on and boot normally

5. flow

flow Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 2000Mhz
    When you use a software program, to overclock your cpu and system, it alters the settings in your bios.
    Now you can edit your bios manually, or let the software program do it.
    The double boot will also occur when you overclock manual through the bios, the system checks for stability when you power on thus creating a double boot.
    Nothing to worry about, my s775 mobo did this also after I overclocked that one.

Take my advice, and overclock to 4.5Ghz without the software program. Chances are high you can lower temps and voltages while reaching the same speed.

6. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    no if its making this by cold boot - double boot then its psu fault or sometimes outlet voltage problem; i know a friend he use to hard switch on extension cord and every time he started pc he had this double boot. Once he stopped doing it like so, he never had it since.. I doubt its checking cpu OC during that cold double boot.. Otherwise i would have it too ;)

And as for the rest DON'T use such Overclocking software, if you must then do it manually in bios, otherwise don't do it at all..

Also update your mainboard bios, sometimes such issues as this cold boot( that's if you're not turning off pc like i mentioned before) can be the cause.

7. pcgeek*

pcgeek* Member

GPU:
    GTX 580
    OK - it looks like some say its the overclocking and some not. I have no problem with it as long as it doesn't harm my MB or CPU etc.

8. Poison

Poison Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming
    I wouldn't use the program to oveclock the cpu, you might need to bump the cpu vcore if it crashes like that.

9. pcgeek*

pcgeek* Member

GPU:
    GTX 580
    It doesn't really crash, no errors given!! Starts up - shuts down in boot setup (but before anything is displayed on screen) - restarts - no problem.

10. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Try turning on the 'power on from pci-e' option from the bios. Asus states that it fixes the double boot issue.

11. flow

flow Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 2000Mhz
    Dude, my asus p5qc did this, press button, starts for 3 seconds, switches off, starts again and shows windows logo during the following succesfull boot. Have witnessed this for the past three years. It only occurs when you overclock, the mainboard does a selftest when cold booting.
    My p8p67 does this when I use the auto overclock from bios.
    It does not when I set a manual overclock.
    Your software program is causing a double boot.

To eliminate this behaviour you should boot the pc at stock settings, default.
    No overclock. If you then still experience the double boot, it could be your memory isn't completely compatible, the mainboard (motherboard, mobo) detects your memory and other hardware on booting, and if one is not compatible, it will reset values making it compatible to boot.
    Verify with cpu-z and hwmonitor if your memory is set correct.
    Could also be you simply need to set your ram in bios to the correct values, speed in mhz, voltage, and the first 4 cas timings in the bios list.
    If you boot fine into windows, there really is no problem, and you don't run the risk of damaging any hardware because of the double boot.
    Just check everything with mentioned programs.