My PC not showing ipod as drive when connected to USB

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Pigchild, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Pigchild

Pigchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 660 Ti 2Gb X2 SLI
    My girlfriend wanted me to put about 60 MP3 file songs on her ipod. (I think it's a somewhat older ipod mini because it's rather small and takes the old style blade jack.)

Anyway, when the ipod is turned on and I plug it in to USB my PC it doesn't pick up anything of it being connected as it would a thumb drive or any other device. I have searched in devices also and it's just not there. I did download iTunes (which I hate) and moved the files to the iTunes library, but this stupid ipod will not show up on my PC no matter what I try. I have Win 7 64 bit. Can anyone give me some ideas to try??? PLEASE.

2. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW3 1080Ti
    Same on rear USB ports as front?

3. 321Boom

321Boom Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 Ti
    Did you try soft-resetting the iPod, then connecting it to the USB? It only takes a few seconds and might be worth a shot, it really helps when my iPod freezes up on me. On my model (4th gen with the clickwheel) it's holding down the Menu and center button for around 8 seconds, and the Apple logo will show up. I've never lost any data that's on it after a soft-reset either. Check here for methods of resetting different types of iPods, I don't know exactly which model you have: https://everymac.com/systems/apple/...-to-restart-frozen-begin-troubleshooting.html

Best of luck.

4. uKER

uKER Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1
    I have never owned an iPod in my life and I'd rather be dead than doing so, but since when do iPods allow their use as a mass storage device?
    From what I gather, iPods have historically been closed devices, whose contents are only accessible via the iTunes app.

5. Pigchild

Pigchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 660 Ti 2Gb X2 SLI
    DUDE! YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!! I NEVER WOULD HAVE THOUGHT TO TRY THAT AND IT WORKED!!! WOOT! THANKS!!!!

6. 321Boom

321Boom Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 Ti
    Really glad my suggestion helped :) Enjoy ;)

7. Chastity

Chastity Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    FYI: I have a 5th Gen iPod that I run Rockbox on, and it works great, supports more file formats, and no need for iTunes. Also supports ReplayGain.