My nightmare Windows 8 experience!

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Darren Hodgson, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Faces Of Death

Faces Of Death Master Guru

GPU:
    Dual nVidia GTX680 4GB
    ok mate, so you did an upgrade from Vista to 7 to 8?

This is exactly why it's starting to mess up, you can't expect to go through two upgrades without having issues, just because it's supposed to work doesn't mean it will, this is the real world we're dealing with here.

You need to do a clean install or else you will have many many issues, upgrading is a very bummy n00bish way of installing an operating system, it's for idiot's who buy their computers from PCWorld etc you should know better.

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I've reinstalled Windows 8 again, Faces of Death, and almost everything is running fine now and I have 99.5% of the stuff from Windows 7, including all my settings, all my games and most of my applications/software. I'm slowly getting used to the Start screen and actually starting to like it, especially now I've found the All Apps option. It's fast and it works... at least so far.

As for "upgrading" being a 'n00bish' way of installing an operating system, I could not disagree more. Not everyone has months of free time to reinstall hundreds of applications and games every time there's a new Windows release. I personally do not believe it is necessary as I had no problems moving from Vista to 7 at all and the problems I had going from 7 to 8 were nothing had nothing to with upgrading anyway. I would only do a fresh Windows install if I was updating my CPU and motherboard.

The driver issue is a bug that others have experienced too and the apps refusing to run thing thing was a UAC issue connected with me using the hidden system admin account, which I'd have also used from a fresh install anyway. Besides, I've also fixed it now with a registry tweak from Windows so I have access to all the apps and the Windows Store. The only thing I can't do in this account is Sync but that's no great loss as I wouldn't use it anyway as I do my own backups. If I do want to use I only have to create a second account.

I've been playing around with Windows 8 for the last three hours with no issues except for the sound not working, apparently a known issue with the X-Fi Titanium HD and, again, nothing to do with upgrading. Microsoft would not offer upgrades if they were going to cause problems. I was just unlucky that's all. It's not like Windows 8 is installed over the top of Windows 7 anyway. It's effectively a fresh install (all my old stuff was in a folder called Windows.old) that just imports various registry settings, etc., as the last thing it does before it launches for the first time.

3. bdlcks

bdlcks New Member

GPU:
    nvidia gt 530 8GB
    your issue is exactly what has happened to me. Exactly!

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    It's not just my opinion, and I stand by my claim that they could have done it much better for desktop and laptop use. The only reason why it is like it is, is to be familiar with the phone and tablet interface which will 'encourage' phone and tablet sales. If you disagree with that, then you are disagreeing with Microsoft, not me, as it is their claim!

The new Windows UI is probably the ugliest UI out there of the top UI's in use. Also, I'm not the only one that thinks the removal of Aero Glass was a stupid one. I have a right to argue that the new UI sucks and it's ugly. I don't work for Microsoft, and I have no commercial interest in saying that it does or doesn't suck. Sure, people can make up their own mind, but there is a whole lot more hate for it than love. I'm not going to be positive about something that is clearly a downgrade, whether that downgrade refers to the way you use the UI or the actual look of it. If Microsoft weren't promoting the phone and tablets with Windows 8, which like I said earlier is their intention (through familiarity), the interface could be whole lot better, and that doesn't necessarily mean ditching it all together, it just means having a design that's appealing for people to use and appealing visually.

I haven't read too many comments anywhere about how beautiful the UI is or how it's much easier to use and simple than the old one. You have to face it - prettiness sells, and is probably a more important factor in some ways than ease of useability. If they stuck with Aero Glass from 8400 the appeal of the new UI will be a little better, although the square blocky tiles on top of not being able to set your own wallpaper background is not favourable among many people. Sure there is desktop mode for wallpaper, but that takes away the purpose of the new start screen in the first place.

There are a couple of different ways Microsoft could have gone about presenting the new UI, and if they were smart they could have included all of them. It's not difficult to do, and by doing this they could appeal to all users, not just a targetted group.

The whinge about Metro Apps and UAC still stands though. If they were serious about apps they could have easily done it so UAC is enabled for apps but configurable (as in making it disabled) for the rest of the system, instead of 'one setting fits all'. Having EnableLUA set to 1 takes away from my user experience, and like I said it actually causes issues with me with other drives created under Windows 7. This is a bug that a couple of other people have come across too. Microsoft is unlikely to fix it because UAC is meant to be enabled. After all, you are just a dumb user who can't make your own choices about what to install, and you like the new UI because you are told to like it, right?

5. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    LMFAO@This. Dude thats some way to sum up W8. Brilliant.

6. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    If the problem aint broke "don't install it":banana:

7. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    So are you now happy with W8? Will you be sticking with it or will you return to W7?

8. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    Oi mate carefull... I brought my comp from PCworld pre built:banana:

Not really.!

9. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I'll be sticking with Windows 8 as I'm slowly learning to appreciate it the more I use it. It is fast and everything seems to work exactly as it did on Windows 7 and, in the case of some games, better, e.g. Unreal Tournament III, Trine and Metro 2033 all work with PhysX 9.12.0904 which they didn't on my Windows 7 install. In terms of overall performance, I see no reason to revert back to Windows 7 and as time goes on all the kinks and incompatibilities will no doubt be ironed out.

That said, I confess I still find myself missing the Start menu and find some things cumbersome in Windows 8, especially when I'm trying to find a particular program or game. I believe it is just a matter of adapting though and learning keyboard shortcuts and stuff.

10. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    The start menu is probably one of the only reason i wont be upgrading now. I guess its a case of not being able to teach an old dog new tricks or better still stick to what i know. Probably skip W8 and wait for W9 next year. LOL.

11. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1

I pretty much agree with you. Is Win 8 perfect? Nope. Is it an improvement over Win 7? In many ways, yes! Is it worth upgrading over Win 7? In my honest opinion, yes! Win 8 still has some issues, and some things don't seem to have much continuity, but overall I feel that it is a solid upgrade over Win 7 (itself an exceptional OS.) Personally, I love Win 8.

12. Wanny

Wanny Guest

I found myself missing the old start menu until I discovered "Windows + Q".

It's just so good.

13. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Windows + Q! Wow, thanks for that, Wanny! I think that might work for me too! :D

Didn't know you could right-click (Windows + X) in the bottom right-hand corner to access Run, Command Prompt, Programs and Features and other useful stuff either until I read it earlier on another forum.

14. Wanny

Wanny Guest

NP I'm actually beginning to like Win8 here... a few annoying problems but that got to be expected from any new OS.

15. crap daddy

crap daddy Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX960 SSC
    As someone said. These are cheat codes for Win 8

16. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    As many of you know I have made a few posts now about my dislike for the Windows 8 UI.

It's true that you do have the keyboard shortcuts, but most people don't know of these. Also the interface is just crap, and the fact that you can't have separate UAC privileges for Windows Apps (which require UAC because of security issues) and the rest of the system is annoying and unsuitable for many people like myself.

The fact is, the UI could have been much better. The removal of Aero Glass is one thing that really sh!ts a lot of people off, because it does make it look cheap, tacky, and crap. It's 2012, beauty does actually count in a UI. For PC Windows Microsoft should have done the following:
    • left Aero Glass (put it back in). It was in 8400, they actually took the effort to make it look uglier!
    • trimmed up the tiles on the start screen, even if it is with a thin alpha blended border
    • had multiple options for the UI. It isn't hard to do so
    • one option is the start screen with the aforementioned tile border
    • second option is a split screen, normal desktop icons on the left, Windows Apps tiles on the right. They would be distinct due to their size and borders
    • you can move the screen separator left or right a little, and have it snap back in the middle. The separator line can be hidden, and maybe controlled by a little tab at the top of the taskbar at the bottom
    • you can scroll left/right through the desktop and Windows Apps frames separately
    • have the start menu
    • have separate UAC controls for Windows Apps and desktop. So, you can completely turn off UAC if you want for desktop use (like some of use require), and still use Windows Apps with its separate UAC. Since Windows Apps are programmed differently this wouldn't be difficult to do
    • on the right, down the bottom, you could have a fixed search bar with an option for just Windows Apps/Start menu items or for a normal search like from the start menu
    • not have things hidden away, like network statistics (and have a counter in Megabytes not data packets), including send/receive speeds etc.
    • the above is just one option, there are other design layouts which would be much better than what we have currently
    • have the option to disable and uninstall Windows Apps entirely. This would be beneficial for workplaces, many of which do not want Apps. The removal would even properly disable the services etc associated with Apps. They would not be losing Apps sales, they'd just be gaining more Windows 8 business customers

The suggestions above, when all factored in, would make a very good interface for people coming from Windows 7, gives you access to all the Windows 8 features (tiles etc), doesn't limit the user, not dumbed down as much, and much, much prettier (less ugly)! Of course prettier may sound bad, but it would be a lot better than having an ugly interface like the current one. It really is a step backwards in attractiveness from Windows 7, and that was a very, very bad move!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I saved myself the trouble and have a great, nice looking OS by sticking with W7.
    With an SSD (even an old one like my Vertex 2), its damn quick and is everything it needs to be.
    I'm way more than happy with it.

I feel no compulsion to get Windows 8 at all, I cant see any benefits, only problems/annoyances and it doesnt look as good.
    It has nothing I need or want, its a step backwards in many ways given they removed things I want to keep, we should at least have the option. That in itself is a major negative.
    I'm baffled at the minds behind it, but then again look at government these days, there seems to be a trend.
    They could have made it a good sidegrade, its not even that, certainly not a worthy upgrade and not worth spending money on.
    Its fine for phones or tablets, but not as an upgrade from Windows 7 for a desktop PC.

Perhaps one day they will force me to buy it, or will concede and let us have the features we want from the OS we install on our PCs.
    Until then or the next decent OS, no reason to change here :)

18. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Unfortunately I don't think Microsoft would go to something like I outlined in my post. If it doesn't sell well or there are continuing complaints, it will be the user's fault of course! I think if Windows 8 was actually like I outlined in my last post, people would actually want to upgrade, and actually like it! As it stands, Windows 8 is nothing more than an OS to try and promote tablets and Windows phones.

19. CyberDanz

CyberDanz New Member

GPU:
    MSI N250GTS Twin Frozr 1G
    Nightmare or Reality? Good or Bad? Here's My Experience

Okay.. We all are entitled to opinions, for sure! Just a little about me before I get to the point: I AM NOT a professional with any entity, corporations, etc. I AM, however, a computer enthusiast who has a lifetime experience (approx. 32 years) installing hardware, windows, software, performing custom builds, and serving customers with basic support for small home networks. With that being said, my TRUE profession involves building top dollar racks ($250,000+), installing voice/data networks (which includes, but not limited to: hard lines[CAT3]; VOIP[All CAT]; Data[CAT5e thru CAT7]; building service racks[UPS, Patch Panels, Switches, etc.]). I have a large collection of resources for nearly all computing needs with a very broad range of experience to go with it. <This is just for FYI, my experience in a nutshell- NOT as a d**k measuring contest, there's always someone out there who has both more or less experience than myself and others>

Now let's get to the point: Before Windows 8 Release Preview became available, I ran Windows 7 Ultimate (upgraded from Windows Vista Ultimate). Any time a new Windows Release becomes available for testing, I ALWAYS put it on a separate hard drive partitioned just for the occasion. Doing this has allowed me to run a dual boot system giving me the option to which version of Windows I wish to use (and not have to give up my fully functional Windows 7 Ultimate to an upgrade that may not be suitable for my needs). Now for my so-called 'Nightmare'. Once Windows 8 Professional became available ($39.99 => $43.29 with tax), I upgraded from my Windows 8 RP to Windows 8 Pro. Upon doing so, the only things it kept was my User Accounts and their settings. Unfortunately, all my games (again installed on a separate hard drive) were no longer recognized as far as registry entries goes. So, my mod managing software doesn't recognize where the games are installed due to the missing registry entries for their installs. To me, this is minor, considering once I got the new java updates, visual basic redistributables, direct x runtimes and sdk's, etc. they still run normally from my desktop shortcuts. So far, my experience with the new Windows 8 Pro is very acceptable. It runs as expected after installing a few newer drivers from manufacturers such as NVIDIA and ASUS. I am in the process of testing other things to help improve Windows 8 to my own flavor (e.g. Windows 8 Manager). So, I can't offer a complete experience using Windows 8 Pro as of yet. There are different things you can do, such as: enable/disable the Metro software; use other software to get your Windows 7 desktop (Aero) back and use as if it didn't have that tablet/mobile phone look; etc. I agree that we shouldn't have to use 3rd party software to get our Windows to perform, look, and feel the way we want it to. However, Microsoft has always left the door open to 3rd party vendors to fill in the gaps or simply some changes that can me made within Windows (for the experienced users or those who are confident enough to manually make those changes). So far, I am a totally thumbs up with Windows 8 Professional. Microsoft admitted to a huge gamble with sticking to this new tablet/mobile interface instead of marketing optional Windows 8 software for those who don't wish to adapt to the new interface using the original Windows UI that everyone is accustomed to. Links are all over the web regarding Microsoft's intentions with Windows 8. It's sad they only target one group of consumers (and retailers who are building on this product) rather than make multiple UI choices for us to choose from with our Windows 8 purchase. However, IMO, this is the new direction Microsoft is taking into the future, and I'm sure Linux, Apple/Macintosh, OS X, etc. will offer similar UI's into the future as well for marketing purposes.

Bottom line, is I still have my dual boot system (Win7 and Win8) and I will use both until Windows 8 progresses for the better into the future. I do, however, believe Microsoft is still moving in a forward direction based on the telecommunications open market and new technologies in play. Let's just hope they don't forget about the consumers who doesn't wish to roll with that kind of change and allow option UI's we wish to have with our upgrades.

20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Riiight, you create a really long glowing 1st post in support of Windows 8 and dont want to come across as a shill.
    Yet you highlight everything you can to try and make sure that everyone believes you and go to lengths to state you have no association with anyone who could be construed as in association with MS.
    Guilty conscience much?

This is your very first post here, we have no idea who you are.
    If you had a few thousand respectable posts, 'maybe' I wouldnt report you.
    But it looks like you are here for one purpose.

You sound desperate to make a point, I dont believe you are genuine.
    If you do get to stick around, it will be interesting to see if you have the time to continue posting to help others on other topics, especially in such a detailed fashion.
    ;)

ps
    I dont mind anyone liking windows 8.
    I do mind what you have done.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012