My new computer! It sucks :(

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by OmniShift, Jul 20, 2011.

1. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    A lot of mainboards run high temps nowadays.
    High mainboard temps are not out of the ordinary [in recent generations].

That said, cooling won't hurt - but it's not the source of your slowness. It's most likely the junk-ware sucking down resources.

-scheherazade

2. OmniShift

OmniShift Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 770 DCU2 OC
    There's 1 Noctua NF-R8-1800 fan placed against the rear. Its a 80x80 fan with 26-53 m3/h airflow. However, my heatsink is right above the northbridge as was seen on an image of the heatsink's attachment to the CPU. Would it be possible that it would limit the airflow that much?

Besides, if what I have on my computer now is too much, how could my old computer never have had issues like that while I never looked out and held back on such things?

3. OmniShift

OmniShift Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 770 DCU2 OC
    I just found a review on newegg.com (which I believe is a respectable site among guru3d'ers) of my motherboard.

"Cons: CPU is Athlon II X3 415e, and memory is G.Skill Ripsaw DDR3 2G X2. However after setting up everything, I noticed frequently rebooting and BSOD. I tried the CPU on a different machine and it works perfectly. I did memtest and it's 100% passing. After checking the board physically, I found the north bridge (AMD 880G) chipset is extremely hot. In HWMonitor it says the temperature goes up to 80C. I have 2 case fans (1 intake and 1 outflow), the CPU is about 29C and the harddrive is about 34C. This is definitely unacceptable."

Apparently I'm not the only one having issues with the temperature, although with mine it doesn't cause crashes. The manufacturer replied to this comment and about 5 others who also had problems with this card.
    Now I don't have a lot of benefit from having contact with the manufacturer, since the shop put a new sticker on my computer after I last visited, so I can't remove and send the board. Should I go back to the shop and get them to replace this (and this time ask for it to be tested with HWM and an application running of course)?

4. scheherazade

GPU:
    fullHDs
    The high (ex. up to mid 90's c) temp is not a problem.
    It's totally common place.

Some people either :
    A) Put on so much cooling on everything that they never see these temps.
    or
    B) Never noticed before and freak out.

My southbridge is at 80c right now, and has been for ever ... and it's fine.

My motherboard will be replaced 5x over before 80c (versus for example 60c) could ever have any impact on the life span.

TBH, around 90c I would start to get uncomfortable, but I know it's still gonna work fine.
    If it ever gets to 100, I'd then start to have some concerns (Mostly about how crappy the case must be to have so little ventilation...)

Typical high-end-chipset mainboards run hot nowadays. Especially if they're put into a typical chassis with not-so-good ventilation, where temps in the 90's are not uncommon.
    (Like joe-bob upgrading his old dell...)

If the guy in the newegg comments has mainboard problems, it's not because of the temp, it's irregardless of the temp.

-scheherazade

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011

5. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    This. Speedfan has that flame icon for every sensor, it doesnt matter if it is from the CPU or GPU. And it seems that uses a few sensors that other sw dont use, probably cuz of that, that they're always at very high temps.

But its normal, when i used speedfan i had 1 or 2 components at 80ºC or so, on a Pentium 4 build and this C2D build. As long as those components arent the GPU or CPU (or memory), its ok. The rest of the components dont recieve too much attention in terms of cooling (you have a **** load of controllers and such on the mobo that dont even have a single heatsink so the temps come from one of those places).

EDIT: I installed SpeedFan and i have two three with the name of "winbond w83627dhg" at 154ºC (actually, in speed fan one its called CPU, AUX and the other MB, but in "configure" you can see the actual name of the components). I put that name on Google and in a toms hardware thread there is a guy that says that it is an unavailable sensor so its readings are bad.

It makes sense cuz the actual CPU in SpeedFan its at 24ºC, GPU at 22ºC and "System" at 30ºC.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  6. att_user

att_user Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5870 2 GB
    This may be related to some false sensor readings. Most likely a BIOS update will correct that or a driver update of your chipset drivers.

7. OmniShift

OmniShift Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 770 DCU2 OC
    Already updated those. No change.

8. att_user

att_user Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5870 2 GB
    If you did not had that sticker on your case i would have recommended opening it and touching the SB and NB heatsinks to see if they are hot. In that case you will lose warranty with your pc shop so just ignore it as they already checked and told you that it is ok.

9. scheherazade

GPU:
    fullHDs
    Apparently we know they're in the 90's Centigrade.

Being that that's not much hotter than normal, I think there's no reason to not believe the sensor.

A picture of the case would be more telling.

-scheherazade

10. OmniShift

OmniShift Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 770 DCU2 OC
    Well, due to the sticker, the best picture of the case I can give you is of the outside unfortunately. I did however upload a picture of the heatsink before, which showed the northbridge as well.

11. scheherazade

GPU:
    fullHDs
    What I meant was :

The mainboard is passively cooled, so the inside-case ambient temp means a lot.

If you are rocking one of those 'solid front' cases where there's just an exhaust, and cool air seeps in through some little slots, then you'll have crappy internal ambient temps.
    (Especially if you have a video card that exhausts into the case.)

Cases with a mesh front/top/etc, with essentially flow-through air design, tend to have near-outside-air internal ambient temps.

-scheherazade

12. OmniShift

OmniShift Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 770 DCU2 OC
    It's a Procase Zirco mAX with 2 air conducts. One of 80mm and 1 of about twice that. If it's any info, the air coming out of those conducts feels very cool. If the fans wouldn't be spinning right after my computer ran for a while, I think it would be around the same temperature as in this room, which by the way is around 18 degrees.

13. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    Geez. did everyone just completely jump over my post? Its a unavailable sensor. Readings are bs.

14. scheherazade

GPU:
    fullHDs
    In your case it was an unavailable sensor.

Any reason you would think the OP's is an unavailable sensor, when it's reading at the upper end of normal?

Procase Zirco mAX looks like a decent case. Front is all mesh, rear has a 12cm mount.

-scheherazade

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011