My new 7950GX2

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by uploader, Aug 23, 2006.

1. uploader

uploader Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTX
    Hi guys,

I just purchased my new 7950GX2 card and i have a few questions. First of all my 3dmark scores. Are they ok?

3dmark05 13.500
    3dmark06 8578

Secondly i'm wondering do i have to create SLI profiles for my games? I think not because i played a few games, and i noticed a good fps inrease compared to my 7900GTX, so both cards on the 7950GX2 are working correctly.

Thx in advance

Ow i almost forgot my temps. They are high, very high compared to my 7900GTX. 60 idle, 83 stressed. My 7900GTX was 47 idle, 74 stressed. Do i need to worry?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2006
  2. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
    them scores are good , and those temps are high because the GX2 gets hot and the coolers on them are pants, the aint big enough

3. S_Kinton

S_Kinton Ancient Guru

GPU:
    512mb 8800GT & 22" Samsung LCD
    The temps are usually high on the 7950gx2, due to the cards design. The 'trapped' core gets the hottest.

Your scores seem fine. You could do alot better, especially on that 3dmark 05 score, but you need more clock speed on your cpu.

With my cpu at 3Ghz I can score higher than your 3dmark 05 score with my sli 7800GTs.

You will only need to create sli profiles for new games or some games that nvidia hasnt bothered to make a profile for. Read the sli sticky in the nvidia section or visit sli zone on the nvidia website for guides on how to create and modify them.

4. uploader

uploader Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTX
    Thx for your answers guys. Yah i know my cpu is holding me back at the moment, but 2.7Ghz is about the max right now for my cpu. Maybe 2.75Ghz is possible.

I'm planning an upgrade to Core2 Duo E6600 in a couple of months though.

Thx again!

Dams i just checked the temps of this gpu wit Everest, cause Rivatuner only showes 1 core. i core is 59 idle, the second is 70 idle. OMG!! You guys sure that's ok??

Last edited: Aug 23, 2006

5. jabloomf

jabloomf Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    Yes. You can improve on that somewhat by adding a fan to the inside bottom of your case and have it aimed at the 7950 GX2. Another option is to add a top exhaust fan to your case, but that may involve cutting the case. I wouldn't worry about those temps though, since they are typical for the 7950 GX2

6. uploader

uploader Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTX
    Ok thx tomorrow i'm gonna buy a xtra fan, aiming at the card.