My HL2 Review

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by SaNTaCRuZ77, Oct 23, 2003.

1. SaNTaCRuZ77

SaNTaCRuZ77 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 3450 512MB
    I'll make this short, and no screenshots or beta links.
    After playing the Half-Life2 Beta, which includes majority of the levels of the game, I have come to find Half-Life2 is not all it's cracked up to be. The Level Design is superior to any other game, but after hearing of how great the AI is, and how it will be better from any other..NOT. First off, the game is so unfinished it's not even funny. I'm beginning to believe the guy who leaked it. Valve did a horrible job holding up to their original release date, and are using the hacker to their advantage, with much more time to finish the game until the estimated release date in 2004. Textures are choppy, much is still missing in detail from the game. I will give credit where credit is due. The vehicle was an interesting aspect to the game, but was sort of bothersome at times not being able to take certain paths in it, leading to the next area. The levels are well done for the most part, except some of the sketchy underground dark levels where you guess at which way is out while having little mechanical flying robots bug the living **** out of you. And then the enemies.. You will shoot at an enemy from a certain distance, and nothing will happen. You get closer, nothing happens. It's almost you have to hit the bad guy at the right angle to kill him, and shoot him about 10 times before he dies. The AI is purely scripted, enemies continually spawn as you try and defend your allies. I look to the top of the screen and see "4 days until September 30" when the game was suppose to release..lmao. This game has potential, but with nearly all of the game leaked, and the hacker "stealing" source code, I don't see how they can get away with releasing the game. The game looks like the Half-Life1 Engine, and the physics are alright, but I expected more detail. Again, this is a leaked beta, so we don't know what to expect when the game plans to release.. And lots of the files are missing, but still the game is definately unfinished. Too much hype, an attempt to make a great game. It's pretty much Half-Life1 with Max Payne2 Physics..:(. I would let valve some slack..but the hacker caught them red handed. All I can say is when the game is released, hopefully it will be complete, but as of now that amazing AI is yet to be seen.
    Thanks for reading. :)

2. Grov

Grov Guest

Sorry mate, but how can you write a review, or even contemplate it, when the game is 5 months off? im sorry but that is daft. It will be a great game. I doubt it will be as good as HL, but that's only because it's been the biggest hyped game of all time, it's bound to dissapoint. I just hope it's a good length.

3. El Viento

El Viento Guest

Man!

This really sounds disgusting!
    Anyways, I hope that they REALLY change all that you said.

And Grov, I think its supposed to be a Beta tester Review! :)

I liked and ...ahan.. can you pm the link for me? hehehe :D

4. bourbon

bourbon Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Raedon 9800 flashed to pro
    Having played the beta, let me say that I cannot believe that you would write a review of it. It is SO far from being a finished product there is simply no way you could judge it. The leaked beta is probably a build from before e3 (ignore the date at the top, look at whats missing vs. the e3 demos). This is the real downside of the leak. People make judgements of an unfinished product. I mean really. It's like writing a review of a movie that hasn't beent edited. "It seemed alright, but you could see microphones and the special effects just sucked!". Stupid.

5. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    Well... there was another reason for the delay... not only the hacker thing... but the game was SOOOOO unfinnished that it HAD to be delayed. Phisics engine was unmatture and sound was awful. I prefer a good HL2 version in 5 months than a crappy one now. OH, and I don't think that things have to be rewriten for dx9.1 just maybe a little bit tweaked :p

6. Creizai

Creizai Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia eVGA 6800GT @ 420/1090
    Easy it was going to be released LAST Month.

7. lIqUI[]

lIqUI[] Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 680DCU II OC

You obviously havent played the "leak" then. There is NO WAY in hell that game was comin last month, better yet theres NO WAY in hell that game was comin this year. Valve was yankin people along to help ATI sell their video cards this year, and so many bought into this crap LOL.

8. Creizai

Creizai Master Guru

GPU:
    Exactly why he should be aloud to post a review on it, since Valve was so open about making the release date with no problem at all. This was so far from the truth its not even funny Exactly how you put it, boost Ati Sales, and dell computers. What goes around comes around.

9. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    Like I said a couple of weeks ago no Nvidia card owners should buy it for the crap Valve tryed to pull let the ATI dudes waist there money. Download a pirate version your gonna have to pay to play online anyway since Valve started charging lisence foronline games ISP's to run on there servers good old steam :p Doom 3 will be the one to play sp & mp ID have always been king time will prove me rite.

TeX

10. GrrRila

GrrRila Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 9800 Pro
    um, no...online play will still be free...

11. Martys Web

Martys Web Don Santino Corleone

GPU:
    XFX 7600gt
    Its not even a Beta it's more a alpha, heck even the leaked Doom 3 was better then the HL2 leak.

Not that I would know first hand..

12. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE

My m8 works for Jolt UK & they have been told by Valve this week they will have to buy a lisence to run counter strike DOD etc servers starting very soon ( a matter of weeks) this is why if you keep check around the net game isp's are/will be droping HL mods like hot cakes Jolt are thinking hard about droping HL mod servers in favour of Halo & other games THIS IS OFFICIAL!!!

TeX

13. Grov

Grov Guest

Exactly, the game is not finished, so why try and review it or even base an opinion? This is the kinda **** that ruins PC games now.

14. Psychosematic

Psychosematic Guest

GPU:
    2xGTX 570 @ 800/1600/2000
    The ONLY thing people should be "reviewing" out of the HL2 leak is the physics system, since it appears to be the only complete part of the game. NOTHING else is close to completion, as you noticed, and it's utterly stupid to waste time reviewing incomplete aspects of the game.

The physics system is marvelous and EVERYTHING that we were told it would be... nothing else is done, so you can NOT knock Valve for it.

Useless post.

15. Grov

Grov Guest

Ahmen man.

I personally don't wanna download any unfinished crap, or see any videos or spoil anything. Im just waiting till it's out, and im gonna get it, no big deal. Play some other games you lot.:p

16. MrOuija

MrOuija Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF2 MX 400 32MB/GF 7600 g
    HL2 will be good, the game is so hyped up and so many people want it and did things to be able to run the game that even if the game looks like super mario they'll still like it,i've seen it be4 and it's def. gon' happen again

17. SaNTaCRuZ77

SaNTaCRuZ77 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 3450 512MB
    Maybe I should have posted this as..Beta Oppinions. Thanks Creizai, that is true..sales are up in ATi and Dell thanks to the former Half-Life2 Release Dates.

18. alehm

alehm Guest

Funny, I have the opposite reaction to the whole thing.

First off, whenever you load any map there are tons of version errors. It is trying to load version 37 models but the leak contains version 35. Was this theif stealing the game while it was being updated? Hard to say. But right off the bat, it shows this guys theft was h4xed from the start.

Secondly, things that were in the E3 demos are missing in this leak. Well, they were there during E3 from months before, why are they not here now supposudly 4 days before Sept 30? Possibly because the leaker is stretching the truth when he says he has everything Valve does? Sounds more reasonable to me.
    Examples:
    E3 Tech Demo: Human form made of water
    Leak E3 Demo: Big floating ERROR

E3 Lab: Complete conversation, lots of orange tank models
    Leak E3 Lab: Missing conversations, lots of big floating ERRORS
    This list could go on and on, but you get the point.

Thirdly, the "4 days until Sept 30" text inserted into the code. I say inserted because obviously this isn't a text that automatically counts down to Sept 30, because it is no longer four days until Sept 30 is it? Which means if one was counting down to Sept 30 they would have to edit a file everyday to change the date. Sounds like a lot of redundant work when you can use a dry erase board. Also, if this were all Valve had, why even bother counting down to Sept 30 because there is no chance in hell the game would be ready by then.

Its possible the leaker inserted the line "4 days to Sept 30" or as I questioned before, just doesn't have everything that he is boasting about.

Valve is the only one lieing? That is the question. :p

19. Creizai

Creizai Master Guru

GPU:
    Newb :rolleyes:

haha j/k I love you shame! :D

20. NewMachineIII

NewMachineIII Guest

GPU:
    PNY Nv GF GTX 1070
    Definition:BETA...to be done, but not yet done.
    To be completed, but not yet completed.
    To review....but not a review.
    It is a BETA after all.:program: