My GTX690 has been my worst Computer experience.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Denial, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Before I even begin I just want to say sorry for posting this, I'm just super frustrated and I feel like I need to type the entire thing up even though probably no one actually gives a **** about my plights.

So here we go - this is my story about my GTX690 and how it's driven me to my worst experience with computers ever.

So back in April/May Nvidia announced their Kepler series of cards, including both the 680 and 690. Now at the time, I don't know why I thought a 690 would be a good purchase for me. I rarely play demanding games at all anymore, mostly just Starcraft II, CS Source, and occasionally something like a Mass Effect or a Dragon Age or just one of those really good single player games that come out every once in a while. I don't play BF3, or Crysis online, or any really demanding games where a 690 would actually be beneficial. But Nvidia was hyping it up, I had the extra money, why not?

Now the system I had at the time was the following:

i7 920
    EVGA FTW3
    Corsair DDR3 1600
    GTX 480
    1000w Corsair PSU

The graphics card and processor are in a watercooling loop. I never had any problems with the 480, period. No red screens, no artifacting, I could literally play any game for hours with absolutely zero issues.

So when the 690 came out, most people were refreshing sites like newegg and amazon or whatever to try to get their hands on one. I'm far too lazy to do this so I just did the EVGA pre-order card on their site for the $50 extra card that comes with a shirt ill never wear and all the other **** I chucked into the trash immediately. To my delight EVGA shipped the card to me within 3 weeks of the pre-order, most people were still refreshing at that time in order to get one. It arrived in a black signature edition box with a bunch of fancy stuff.

Ok, so because their are no cooling blocks for the card at the time and I didn't feel like breaking my loop only to have to do it again when I got one. I simply unplugged my 480 and built a platform on the bottom out of CD cases so I could sit it right below my 690. So it was basically still in the loop, just not plugged in. I wanted to wait for my Koolance block, so I could remove the 480 and put the 690 in all at one time.

Ok, so far so good. I load up a few more demanding games just to check it out, Crysis, Metro, etc. Everything seems to be working great. I then decide I want to run a benchmark in Heaven just to see how my system compares to some of the others on Guru3D. Here is when things go wrong. I start Heaven intending to run a benchmark but I get up for a bit and leave it at the start screen when it's just flying through the environment. I return about 30 minutes later to find a cluster **** of polygon explosions. Artifacting everywhere. This isn't supposed to happen. I check my temps with After Burner, its running about 80-82 loaded, which is about what other people are getting. I reseat the card, check all the cables, everything looks normal. I try again, same ****.

At this point I'm thinking well, let me try another game just to make sure if it isn't anything random like a driver issue with heaven or something stupid. So I try Skyrim for about an hour, nothing happens, game works fine. Same with Starcraft and Counterstrike. Temps are about the same in Skyrim as in Heaven, so I figure maybe its just something weird. Then Diablo 3 comes out and I start playing that. Now all these other games I've only been playing for an hour, maybe starcraft a little more than that. Diablo 3 I played for about 5 hours the day it came out. The game started artifacting at about the 3rd hour. Closing and reopening fixed it. Now I figure well I need to check the other games longer. At this point I realize everything is artifacting, something is wrong with the card.

I call EVGA, they run me through a bunch of obvious stuff I had already tried, reinstalling drivers, clean installing drivers, trying the beta drivers, removing monitoring software like after burner, etc. Finally they tell me it's probably a power issue. Now I'm thinking well my Corsair 1000w is definitely more than enough for this card, but it is about 2 1/2 years old. Maybe it's starting to die who knows. I don't really have another PSU to test it with. So I go and buy a Seasonic 1000w PSU with a single rail. And sure enough, the problem appears to have gone away. I ran heaven for about an hour, no issues. OK. Then I start playing Max Payne 3, sure enough same ****, about an hour into the game the screen explodes. Max's head is in 3 different places and stretched till the end of time.

At this point I call EVGA again and tell them. They say yeah they'll RMA the card. But they are only going to pay to ship it back to me VIA ground. I had to pay to get it to them. Now at this point I'm annoyed because I already bought the PSU for $400 or whatever those Seasonic's cost and when I bought the card originally I payed for overnight shipping. They sent me a non-working card and now I'm going to lose it for nearly 2 weeks for the RMA? I tried to work with them, but they weren't willing to pay for the overnight. So instead I have it crosshipped which required me to put up the $1050 as collateral. I just didn't feel like having to take the card out putting the 480 back in it, etc. Plus the 690 was working well enough in Starcraft for hours at end and that's what I play the most anyway. And it's not like I lose the $1050, I get it back as soon as my card goes to them.

So eventually the second card arrives. I plug it in and immediately run heaven overnight. I wake up and check, still running no problems. Awesome. At this point the Koolance block is on the way, so I figure all good. Well I start playing some other games and all of a sudden I'm getting red-screen problems galore. Literally every 10 minutes or so my screen will turn red for 5-6 seconds. I look it up, most people suggest removing monitoring software like precision, afterburner, etc. So I do. Problem still persists. At this point I'm really annoyed. I upgrade my Windows 7 to 8 just to see if anything will change. Nope, now I have even more issues. Red screens still occur and now my minerals in Starcraft II are randomly disappearing. Which apparently is a known random problem. Among other strange issues with games randomly dropping to 1fps. I format. I literally only starcraft II after the format and use the 301.42 drivers. Same ****, red screens every couple minutes and other just random issues. So at this point I'm seriously frustrated and probably not thinking as clearly as I should have. I figure well maybe it's a heat problem, because this card was running slightly warmer than the other at 86ish. So I drop the koolance block on it. Now it's loaded at 40-45ish depending on game. Same ****, red screens.

So now I'm thinking, the chances of them sending me two bad cards is so rare if they do QC testing that it has to be something on my system causing all these problems. Maybe my motherboard, which I've had problems with in the past with random crap. So I buy a new processor and motherboard. Shove everything in it. Same ****. Red screening with no monitoring software. To make it worse now I'm getting even stranger problems. Occasionally games will just disappear. It looks like the display crashes, all the screens black out, it comes back and the sound for the game is still on. The game is still receiving commands, if I shoot I can hear the shot. The cursor is still bound to the game, but I can't see the game. Alt tabbing does nothing. I have to end process out. Happens in both Dayz and Dota 2.

To make matters worse I actually lost my RAID-5 array during the motherboard upgrade because I didn't realize Z77 only supports 4 drives in RAID.

So now I'm basically back in the same position I was. Stuck with a broken card I guess, seeing as I literally replaced every single thing around it. Contacting EVGA again, who will probably tell me it's my PSU again or something stupid.

At this point I don't even want the card anymore. Between the issues I'm getting and the known issues with things like display flickering when running 3 monitors, it's not even worth the money at all.

TLDR: I hate the GTX690.

If anyone has any advice please give, because I'm out of ideas aside from just RMA'ing this thing again.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  2. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    reckon your just unlucky with 690 getting 2 dud's perhaps should gone with different brand even though all meant be reference

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Well depending on what EVGA says is what I'm going to do. If they tell me it's my PSU or something again I'm going to tell them to give me my money back. And I'll buy an ASUS or something. If they tell me sorry they'll send me a new one right away or something similar I'll let them try again.

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    If you disable 1 gpu does the problem go away? can you try running heaven 3.0 with both gpu`s and use split frame rendering. nvidia inspector should allow you to use this option. 1 card is responsible for the top half of the screen the other gpu is responsible for the botton half. this is just trouble shooting here. if 1 gpu is borked it should be pretty eviden with SFR

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    As far as disabling SLI, I'm trying that now. Last night I turned it off after running into the invisible window problem thingy in DOTA 2. I played for about an hour afterwards with no issues but I think the real test will be today. As for the SFR how do I turn that on? In options all I see is AFR 1 and 2. Is that like a Nvidia inspector thing?

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nvidia inspector will let you do it, it is a very inefficient sli mode probably why it isnt available in the NVCP for quite some time now
    click on the tool box in Nvidia inspector and select sli rendering mode.
    SRM force spf
    under 3d settings in the NVCP choose the sli indicator graph, if its in the middle of your screen SFR is working

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    K thanks for the suggestion - going to try playing some dota with it now.

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    np a horizontal green line should appear right in the middle of your screen with SFR. if the bottom or top is currupted I think you have a bad gpu.

9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Send the card back and try again,if problem still persists get your money back,also i had many problems with most of the drivers recently,only driver i have found stability with is the 302.59. Shame your having such a bad experience,its horrible when this happens,hope you get it sorted.

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Well split frame doesn't work in dota 2 so i'm going to have to try a different game when I get back. I've been running in non-sli with no issues until I got a BSOD when I was away from the computer.

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 116
    BCP1: FFFFFA800C37B4E0
    BCP2: FFFFF88010135918
    BCP3: FFFFFFFFC000009A
    BCP4: 0000000000000004
    OS Version: 6_1_7601
    Service Pack: 1_0
    Product: 768_1

So I guess it's just one more issue with the card I can add to the list. I already have a ticket in to EVGA and regardless to whether it's a bad chip on the card or whatever I'm having them take this **** back.

11. ..VeNoM..

..VeNoM.. Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 690
    Really strange that you got 2 duds but I guess it can happen. Especially if they are from the same batch. I would seriously make a complaint to them and RMA it one last time.

12. Ade 1

Ade 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690
    Defo RMA it. FYIW, I've not had a single problem with my 690 - running latest beta 304 drivers and not had any issue with any game since I bought it on release day.

13. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Yeah, agreed with the others.

RMA it one more time, you have nothing to lose but time and shipping costs...

14. Vositikota

Vositikota Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 SLI
    Sorry to hear it, man. Guess Kepler was pushed out a bit too quickly, eh? Hopefully the RMA works out for you.

15. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Nothing wrong with Keplar,he has just had some very bad luck.

16. Vositikota

Vositikota Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 SLI
    I'm not so sure. Too many reports of graphical issues for me to really be sold on its quality. I haven't had much problem with my 670s other than some tearing when V sync is enabled, but I do think that these problems should have been addressed before release.

17. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    The ones you haven't had?

:3eyes:

18. Vositikota

Vositikota Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 SLI
    If the problems have been widely reported then they exist, whether I've experienced them or not. Even the V Sync issues should have been detected before release.

19. |-c2c-|Rom

|-c2c-|Rom Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660TI OC
    i'm so sad for you man

I think you should try to rma another time.Thats remind me when the 7900gtx get out it was also an evga,and it take 3 cards to get it right.But evga have a great support so im sure they will help you to go trought all this nightmare story.

Wish you the best luck

Rom

20. GPU

GPU Guest

any way it could be the monitor cable[dvi ?] or the monitor causing some of the issues ?