My Geforce GTX 480 is beginning to show its age

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by khohne, Apr 2, 2012.

1. khohne

khohne Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 480 Asus
    Hey fellow guru's i havent been on the forums for a couple years but im back.

My poor GTX 480 is showing its age in new games Anno 2070, Skyrim, Ship sim Extreme's etc......

I am now no longer able to run stuff flat out with all options turned on and up.

i didnt bother upgrading to the 500 series due to the 580 only being marginally faster than the 480, but now the 680 is out i have my eye on upgrading to it as from what ive read it kicks the crap.

Im going to purchase one on Ebay i reckon as the cards are very expensive here in Australia and arnt in stock anywhere!

Ive had my eye on the Asus card or the EVGA card which do you reckon?
    and do you reckon my PC is good enouph for one of these cards?

2. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    what are the rest of your specs man, not the ones in your sig?

3. khohne

khohne Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 480 Asus
    Now have updated them <------------

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti Strix H20
    Skyrim has nothing to do with your 480, its your cpu

5. khohne

khohne Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 480 Asus
    what wrong with an I7 I know its not a sandy Bridge 2nd Gen one but its still not slow by any means.

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    oc your cpu to 4ghz buy 4 gb more ram and see how things go.

7. khohne

khohne Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 480 Asus
    even still this thread is about updating to a GTX 680 not about OC'ing my cpu, Skyrim only faulters on my system when i enable AA which if i am correct is a Video card feature dependant on VGA Ram and resolution. otherwise i run it in ultra setting max res i can get 1920x1080 but NO AA.

8. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Agree^...If a Core I7 870 can't pull it off........We are all F**ked........

9. eddman

eddman Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 6G SC
    So you've decided on buying a 680 already. Why bother asking? Asus and EVGA are both good. Get the one you prefer.

Yes, good CPU, enough RAM, sufficient PSU.

10. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    evga 980ti sc+
    All the games you mentioned are cpu limited with your card. Skyrim loves high MHz no way around that.

http://www.techspot.com/review/467-skyrim-performance

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/skyrim-performance-benchmark,3074-9.html

11. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
  12. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti Strix H20
    Its your cpu dude. I cant maintain 60fps maxed on skyrim on my default cpu3.4 ghz and my system is a lot faster than yours. Oced to 4.8 and i never go below 60fps. skyrim uses like 20% of my gpus ..

13. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I am sure a 4.8ghz SB will result in slightly higher FPS than 3.4ghz with everything cranked up, but I doubt that at 3.4ghz it would be unplayable. And what less than 60fps minimums are you talking about? 30? 40? I could see that with early pre-patch Skyrim which was hard on CPUs, esp at the towns, cities, but since then its been smooth sailing for even much lesser CPUs. Unless you are gaming at 1280x1024 or lower where more of the burden is placed on the CPU. Also a minimum fps of 15-20 can be virtually unnoticeable if it is just a brief micro-dip as opposed to a sustained dip. But some fps software would record it nonetheless as a minimum.

And another thing, if someone finds less than 60fps 'unplayable' it is not necessarily the fps that is the issue but other factors, texture loading, inefficient rendering, bad code, etc that may be more at issue. Some games play perfectly smooth at even 25fps, ie, Crysis, Metro and Oblivion (a major fps killer when first released). Halo was capped at 25fps and that ran perfectly fine. Yes I am sure some people can notice the difference even between 60 and a 100 fps, but that is not exactly the same thing and would veering off topic.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  14. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    You may not upgrade to GTX 680 because your GTX 480 is very good! But if your GTX 480 is abnormal = bad then you may get RMA. ;)

I'm very happy for eVGA GTX 480 without any problems since nov, 2010. :D

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Don't listen to the guy above, the 480 is about on average as good as my card, which these days isn’t great if you want to max every option, even in multi-platform games and console ports, so I know how you feel.

A GTX680 will be about 40-75% faster than a GTX480, so if you have the money then get one, still a little expensive for my liking though.

16. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti/RadVII/2070S
    Huh, don't agree. I'm always changing cards in and out to test performance with various games and even an overclocked 460 won't have any trouble running console ports/multiplat games. The 480 when moderately overclocked is almost as fast as a 580, so no, you don't need to upgrade your card and I'm surprised you're having some difficulty with it. Skyrim is badly optimised so as other has said it's probably best you overclock your CPU.

17. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    But, instead of guessing what is wrong and why you have "low" FPS, you can test it by yourself. Start GPU-Z, fire up game you have problem with (preferably load problematic level/scene), start loging to text file, and see it yourself if GPU is problem.

You can monitor GPU usage, Mem contr. usage, memory usage etc. If anything goes above 99% (or mem, 1024MB out of 1024MB used, just example) you found your problem. If none of them come even close to limit, then, those guys about CPU are right, or you have some other problem (maybe drivers etc.).

You can also log CPU and RAM usage in order to detect problem.

18. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    a few days ago i upgraded from my gtx480 to the 680, yes the new card is obviously much more powerful, but honestly the Gtx480 while showing its age remains one hell of a card, except maybe in a couple of games like Skyrim especially with all the eye candy enabled takes a beating and the card obviously wins guiness record when it comes to heat :D

i also realized the new 680 supports DirectX 11.1 <---- don't know what this adds, i doubt its anything to care about though, will have to google some info.

anyway, if this is the framerate you want, get a gtx680.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. macdaddy

macdaddy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TITAN X
    Got no problems with my GTX 480 sli set up all on water. Don't need to upgrade or anything, playing at 1920 x 1200 its all good with eye candy in any game. I can run Furmark all day and cards will still be around 50c max.

20. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Who cares? What's that got to do with the thread?