My FX-6100, MSI 990FXA GD65 overclocking woes

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by MaskedMuchaco, Dec 31, 2013.

1. MaskedMuchaco

MaskedMuchaco Active Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 Gaming (H2O)
    I Have an MSI 990FXA GD65 with an AMD FX 6100 cpu.

I have been struggling with this board for a while trying to match the voltage I set in the bios to the readings I am getting from CPU-Z and HWMonitor.

at default with CPU voltage set to auto in the bios cpu-Z and HWMonitor show 1.32v at idle and about 1.30v under load with P95, as far as I know it should be 1.275v. If I set the cpu voltage to 1.4 in bios they show about 1.48 at idle and 1.44 under load.

What puzzles me is that my CPU needs 1.4v in bios to run at 4.2 ghz, this seems to match what a lot of other people are getting with this CPU but if I am to trust CPU-Z's readings then I am needing 1.48v so should I be trusting what I set in the Bios or should I go with CPU-Z and face that I got a bad clocker and need a lot of volts to run stable so 4.2ghz is as far as I can go.

I also seem to have very low temperatures for running such high voltages, if it's really at 1.48v then surely it should be getting hotter than 46 degrees running P95 even with a corsair H80. Temps were even lower with a thor's hammer in push/pull on there.

Tried a few bios versions and am currently running the latest (20.3), all are the same.

For some reason I cannot run MSI ControlCentre in windows 8.1 so I have no idea what that will tell me.

I'm on a very tight budget and got this motherboard at a good price, maybe I got what I paid for. :cry:

I was going to email MSI to see what they say but it seems I have to register on their site before I can contact support and for some reason it won't let me register.

This is the first MSI motherboard I have owned and may be the last.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti Strix H20
    Uhm what? Where did you get that info. Dont go over 1.5 volts or you will risk killing your cpu

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Probably blow a transformer if you could actually run at that voltage.

4. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG StriX RX480, 8GB
    Yipes, like the two above me said that is a crazy number and I don't know where you seen that! Be sure to set your voltage to that, only if you want to set your PC and possibly the house on fire ;)

No free software I know of is going to tell you the exact same number as what your BIOS voltage setting is. Voltage and current just don't work that way. I owned a 6100 myself and had mine OC'd to 4.3ghz on an ASUS board. Some of the voltage spikes you're seeing may be due to LLC. You just need to make sure you have all of the power saving options off, your LLC is set to either on or high (depending on what your board allows) and that you're testing stable. If you are solid where you're at with 1.4 or so volts, you're prob fine.

5. MaskedMuchaco

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 Gaming (H2O)
    Oops, typo. It should have said 1.275v. Edited original post. :)

There's no option for LLC and usually that would only increase the voltage when it starts to drop under load on every other board I have owned so maybe msi decided it was easier to just over volt by a huge amount instead of providing LLC. It's a very irritating motherboard to overclock, very sensitive and will go from stable to not posting with only one tiny adjustment then needs the cmos resetting manually and two attempts at loading the default settings or a saved profile before the settings take and seems to guess memory timings different every time so sometimes won't boot if set to auto.

Ill probably settle at 4.2ghz for now, just get the memory timings as tight as I can and try and get the cpu-fsb back to 2.6ghz, had it there before with an increased base clock but couldn't get memory stable at 2000mhz (in fact anything over 1866 is flaky) even though it's rated for 2400mhz so had to set base clock back to 200.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  6. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    If you dont mind me asking what are the settings you used to achive this overclock>? Did you just raise the Cpu multiplier or is it a combination of Multi x Fsb? You dont need that much voltage I got my fx 6100 stable at 1.3 v-core running at 20 x milti and 220 Fsb giving me almost 4.4 ghz (stable) as hell through prime and gaming for hours on end, I think its the board you are using honestly,and altough my Asus m5a97 isnt much better then yours I tend to stay away from high v-core.

7. Crash

Crash Active Member

GPU:
    Palit GTX 560 OC 1024 MB
    its a 3.3 Ghz processor and you running it at 4.2 Ghz. I think you've hit the limit with that mobo GD65. GD80 is the better choice with better pwm. and it is not a bad result with that mobo.

8. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ^ Crash is probably far off base there. I was struggling to get my 6100 much higher than what I am at and just called it a day at 4.3ghz on my board. Without looking at it, I believe your board and mine are on par with one another, other than the weird lack of LLC on your MSI.

The higher end mobos have far more options, like LLC offsets and all of the bling you need, including better VRM cooling to get better OC results.

9. MaskedMuchaco

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 Gaming (H2O)
    I only paid £35 for the motherboard so I can't really complain.

I have settled for now at just 4ghz (20x200) since any higher requires a ton more voltage.

240mhz is the highest ref clock I can run but getting my ram stable at a decent speed at that is going to take some time playing with timings.

I can't seem to get the CPU-NB stable at anything higher than 200mhz which seems a bit odd but I'll have another play with that later.

I thought I had 4200mhz stable but even though it ran prime for 12 hours it failed hyperpi every time, it seems no matter what I do I can run prime for hours but fail hyperpi or pass hyperpi but fail in prime95 after 10 - 30 minutes. so far I have only managed to run both at 4ghz so i'm leaving it there for now.

I have been overclocking for years, started with running a pentium MMX 166 at 183mhz then a K6 233 at 300mhz with 100mhz bus, then some K6-2s, socket A durons and athlonXPs, a Athlon 64 and some core2s, my last was a B3 stepping C2Q Q6600 that I managed to get to run at 3.6ghz, none of them have been as frustrating as this FX 6100.

I think I have a combination of a bad overclocking cpu and a motherboard that's not ideal for the job so I'll have a play some time soon and try again for a few hundred more mhz, try to get the cpu-nb at the same speed as the hypertransport since that's supposed to be optimal and try to get my RAM as fast as I can since it's rated for 2400mhz and the best I can get so far is 1600 cl9 or 1866 cl11.

Thanks for your input guys.

10. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    Try to disable core 6 and 5 and run only on 4 cores, that is if your board has that option. I get a much higher overclock running on 4 cores vs 6, when u wanna run multithreaded stuff just re enable your 2 cores.this schould help u iam hoping.

11. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    This is not giving you better performance, with higher clocks or not. You may see a small boost in some games that aren't multi-threaded, but the power in the FX chips is in the cores. If you disable those, you're dramatically reducing performance.

Run Cinebench and you'll see what I mean. More threads far outweigh the benefits of the minimal single thread gains by disabling cores.

12. MaskedMuchaco

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 Gaming (H2O)
    I did consider disabling two cores to see what I could get it to but I'm back at stock speed for now while I sort out the issues I have been having with my RAM.

It's getting replaced by Kingston because it causes random crashes when running in dual channel mode, it's possible I thought some of the instability when over clocking was caused by the bad memory so I'll try again when I get the new stuff.

If I can't get all 6 cores to more than 4ghz then I think I'll set that as the base clock and increase the turbo speeds to 4.2 and 4.4 since those speeds seem to work well so far, trouble is, I'll need to use AMD Overdrive to set the lower turbo core speed since my bios only lets me set the top turbo speed so It ends up slowing to 3.6ghz under load and that's clearly no good. :)

It's going to take a lot more playing to find out what's stable once I get the replacement memory so I hope it gets me something more.