My eyes need rest - new monitor help

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by savior, Oct 30, 2012.

1. savior

savior Guest

Hi all,

I am about to replace my old 20'' monitor and i don't know which one to choose.

I play only, not FPS games, mostly RPG and tactical games.

My main concern is that i spend many hours in front of the monitor at work, and at home my eyes are very tired.

I read that IPS panel should help, but also 120hz vs 60hz should be better.

So which one do u think is better, for my eyes health i mean:

Dell U2412M 1920x1200 e-IPS panel 60hz (255 euro) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...yMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

BenQ XL2420T 1920x1050 LED 120Hz (340 euro) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014270&Tpk=Benq XL2420T

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  2. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    You will be fine at 60hz. I believe that the most important thing for your eyes will be the brightness and contrast settings of your monitor. Too bright will easily tire your eyes, and you should also make sure the ambient lighting is right for you. I would avoid bright room lighting, instead use a dim light behind the monitor

3. Goutan

Goutan Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    The Dell is beautiful but the 8ms response time is a killer - I guess that's what you get with IPS. If you can handle the lag, I'd throw down for that monitor. I've had my Dell screen for 5.5 years and after a ton of use in that time, it hasn't seemed to degrade at all.

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Someone from our forum posted a while ago a link to a software wich eased my eye sore and i would like to thank him and share the same link.

http://stereopsis.com/flux/

I changed also to a IPS Dell and added FLux and now i can work for hours without noticing .

5. pogostickio

pogostickio Master Guru

GPU:
    DannyD's GTX 1080ti
    That was me. And you're welcome. I was just about to go searching for the original thread so well done. Cookie for you. And it does help with night time monitor usage. You might find it tints the colour scheme with too much yellow so if it does then change the default setting to your own preference.

[​IMG]

6. savior

savior Guest

thanks, i will give that a try! but does it mean that while i am playing the monitor will dim or change colour? didn't get it very well...

@gotan: the 8ms do not seem to create any "ghosting" in games, not even in the fastest FPS. I have read 171 user reviews from the newegg link i posted and they all say that also for gaming it's wonderful, no ghosting at all. maybe just a couple found some...but it's a very little percentage.

I also read many reviews and they confirm this, and also say that input lag is very low and that compensates the 8ms.

Moreover many companies declare ms from gray to gray, instead of from black to black, and that's a big difference. That's why u can find monitors with 10ms perform better than monitors that declare 5 ms...

7. pogostickio

pogostickio Master Guru

GPU:
    DannyD's GTX 1080ti
    wahay, i found the original thread.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=356860

what the software does is takes a certain percentage of the colour blue out of the monitors colour range. I'll make this as brief an explanation as I can. I'm not a scientist so forgive me if I make mistakes.

If the body is bathed in a blue'ish light (through your eyes and skin) it thinks it is still daylight so it won't start to produce the chemical melatonin. And melatonin is one of the chemicals that is linked to letting your body get ready to sleep so it can repair itself.

The program can take a few days to get used to but once you do it is something you will greatly appreciate because not just your eyes but your whole body will thank you for it. You'll start to feel tired when you should do because you are no longer fighting your body's natural need to sleep and repair itself by sitting in front a monitor bathing you in blue light.

How fast the program changes from the daytime to night time setting is not very noticable because it is a gradual thing. And it is also linked to your own global positioning (which you can select) so it will change when the sun comes up or goes down where you are.

your monitor will not dim or change colour. The only colour affected is white, which has a lot of blue in it. The blue is decreased creating a mild or strong yellow tint (at your prefence). The brightness and the ability to see other colours is not affected.

8. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    Cool, I just started using the f.lux app .. I like it so far but not use to it yet.

9. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    Just tried it out of curiosity, what I can tell so far is that games still look the same to me as they did before, but with a mild change in white as you mentioned, thus creating a more relaxing and enjoyable ''atmosphere'' while playing, when watching videos and surfing the internet, everything is fine and the ''same'' as before meaning you can still see everything normal.

I would recommend this to everyone because I can feel my eyes resting while still sitting in front of my PC, which is pretty awesome if you ask me ^^

Thank you for this!

Only con I would say so far is while watching the Youtube videos it does make them a bit too dark, but you can always select F.lux to either disable its color correction for an hour or just turn it off and back on again when you are finished with watching youtube.

Dont get me wrong, Youtube is still watchable, but the videos seem a bit darker that's all.

10. spike21

spike21 Member Guru

GPU:
    7970CF 16@2133mhz

11. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    8ms response time isnt as laggy as you would think it is. i've been doing fps gaming on my 37inch panasonic IPS panel TV for the last two years and it hasnt stopped me from staying in the top 3 in most of my COD matches. trust me, you wont notice the difference between 5ms and 8ms, especially given that a 60hz monitor will be display each frame for 16.67ms anyway. setting pre rendered frames to 1 on vsync introduces more lag than you would notice from swapping from TFT to IPS.

12. savior

savior Guest

Thanks, i have installed it here at my office...it should be good for the Dell U2412M especially because i've read that it has quite an amount of blueish tint so it might correct that :)

13. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    I also have a U2412M at my office, its a great professional monitor.

I have already turned the brightness down, and coupled with f.lux makes it a lot more smooth on the eyes for daily use.

Currently at 5800k for daytime.