My experience with 4-way Sli thus far

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by A M D BugBear, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Kozary

Kozary New Member

GPU:
    980Ti SLI
    This thread is so damn interesting i'm considering buying a third 980ti.

Interested to hear about your Monster Hunter World profile. It took me awhile to get SLI working for that game but i have bad flickering of the skybox during certain times of day.

I ended up with
    SLI Broadcast - 0x0000AB0A
    Compatibility bits - 0x080022F5
    SLI Hack - 0x08000108

While its 100% stable the flickering is bad. What bits are you using for 4way?

2. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    Sorry for the long delay, something just came up with my mainboard lol, be back running in a bit and get back to your stuff later.

3. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    4-WAY SLI SYSTEM UPDATE - 1/15/20:

Sorry you all, some long delay here...

This was a very long story here but cutting it real nice and short.

My mainboard, from very closer inspection, seems to be shorted out, it even fried my psu...

Originally thought psu, Tried my dad's psu(old system that was given to him from me years back), powered up the Enermax 1000w(PSU ONLY was tested), with no system memory or gpu installed, just the mainboard itself and cpu's, It fried that psu too.

Originally all happened when I was retuning Mass effect: Andromeda, under Sli Broadcast Bit:

0x00000000<<~~ this one,

The moment I started up the game, system very unexpectedly shuts down.

I do know in games I have worked on in the past, it will be a complete game changer under Sli mode general, but at times, take echo for instance, that game is putting out little bit more power then usual, looking under gpu power %, game hits incredible hard in the snow level if the broadcast bits is at:

0x00000001

But other games like Yakuza 2, all gpu says 99% but behaves like one gpu.

In other words, even it is working perfectly, you could be using quite bit of unnecessary power from the gpu's, I try not to put it at 1 unless it's like a last resort thing.

Took the motherboard out, took a very close inspection on it, on the front of the motherboard, everything seems to look great, no signs of caps melting, resistors being burnt,etc.

However, on back of the board, bottom right, there was some resistors, what appears to be chipped out, one particular resistor seems it wants to come off, again, this was a replacement board back in late 2018, so don't know for sure how long that was there, board was shorted out...

That being said, Everything I have under RMA is all being done as we speak, everything is good.

In the meantime, This is what I will be using now:

I been looking at this motherboard for quite sometime, decide to go with it:

https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/x10drg-q

Far as Case goes, not really a case, This I will be using, Already checked if its compatible for the board, I am good to go for the motherboard:

https://www.highspeedpc.com/product_p/td_techstation_hptx.htm

Far as ram is concern, using 8 of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Micron-MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G1A2-Memory-Module/dp/B017O2AG82

While my psu's is being Rma'ed through Seasonic, I'll be using these 2:

https://www.fsplifestyle.com/PROP162000377/

Here is some more in-depth review of the PSU(Old review):

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/fsp-pt-1200fm/

Once my get my rma stuff back, I might make that system as a backup to this one.

Also, I am using my old system(dad's) system now, which has 2 980ti's AIO from evga, I did some testing with Yakuza 2 with the working bits I used under my 4 way 970's, and as I expected all along, IT DOES NOT WORK PERIOD, it seems 1 gpu performance, not 2. Next did Unigine heaven 4.0 bench, works Perfectly...

I did some slight bit tuning for Yakuza 2 for 980ti's in sli, Doesn't scale worth a darn, and usually my 4-way profile for a particular games usually scales 2 way very well, but in this case, using 2 980ti's = X, but that was just that game only, I have not tested any others so I can not comment on it.

I'll upload some pictures once its up and running, should be towards end of this week.

So that's what I was saying all along about my custom made bits, don't expect them to work other then 970's...

Thanks for reading.

QUICK UPDATE - 1/17/20:

Everything pretty much will be in place today, might start working on it today or tommorow, be sure to look for updates on it, hopefully by tomorrow by the latest.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  4. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    4-WAY SLI SYSTEM UPDATE - 1-21-20:

Alright so I got everything together pretty much but one problem, My Cpu Aio cooler, the mounting bracket, is Square ilm, I need an narrow ilm, so I was looking into astek lga 2011, narrow bracket, bought 2 of them, so should be here in a bit.

Sorry about all the delay, just a waiting game now.

Just to let everyone know:

the HPSC top tech deck station needed some modification to fit the supermicro board properly, far as height is concerned, it is longer then the ASUS z10pe-d8 ws by a large margin.

Be sure to look for updates later on this, everything is pretty much installed, I won't be trying all 4 gpu's right off the back, going to test 2 right off the back, making sure everything is ok, nothing has been powered up yet, I can not until that brackets comes in.

Thanks for reading.

Dan Longman likes this.

5. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    4-WAY SLI SYSTEM UPDATE - 1-25-20:

Here's the latest update thus far:

In regards about the Supermicro x10DRG-q:

Everything is picking up perfectly, all the main physical ram sticks, SSD, hdd's, both cpu's, and sli is enabled but only under 2-way as I have yet to try out any games yet.

Everything appears to be running fine, all the drivers are pretty much installed.

I will keep everyone posted on the game testing part, will do that tommorow, once 2-way is confirmed working properly, I will do 4-way.

And just to let everyone know, the asetek narrow ilm aio mounting brackets works perfectly with the Corsair h55.

So far, Excellent temps on both cpu's, took out the 2 fans that was connected to the bottom tier of the hspc top deck tech station, so now doing push/pull on both aio's. Both mounted to the top deck station with 0 problems.

Check back later, thanks.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  6. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    4-WAY SLI UPDATE(Supermicro x10DRG-q) - 1-26-20:

Checked 2-way Sli, Everything is top notch.

Everything seems extremely stable thus far.

Check back for more updates, thanks.

7. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    Ok sorry for the very long delay, Finally got my system up in running.

Far as the SLI bits:

0x8A0028F5

Sli Broadcast bits:

0x0000000A

Sli Specific Hacks:

None used.

Although The Scaling is basically perfect, No long term stability check was done, so be absolutely careful when using these bits, even if it does work, extreme caution is advised as it was only tested with the 970's and nothing else so please bear that in mind.

Still needs alot more tuning as my system was down quite some time, all back and running, so check back on more updates, thanks, and sorry for not getting the reply on time.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  8. Kozary

Kozary New Member

GPU:
    980Ti SLI
    Cheers mate, all good these things take time especially when things go wrong.

I tried your config and the broadcast causes an insane amount of green artifacts and lines. However your SLI compatibility bits work fine with my AB0A broadcast just a bit of flickering in skybox. Probably getting pretty close to perfecting the SLI for this game.

I was also curious is there any good guides to making SLI profiles from the ground up or is that something i gotta figure out on my own?

Cheers.

9. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    Alot of tuning process is also in the in game settings as well, I have also tried it with my old.2 980 ti's, lots of green artifacts, even if all settings are at it's lowest.

I will mess it more, TTYL.

10. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    4-WAY SLI UPDATE(SUPERMICRO x10DRG-q) - 1/27/20:

System picks up 4 gpu's perfectly, going to install the graphic drivers then test:

Rise of tomb raider, with my own Custom Enchanced SMAA profile

Will be back with the update.

UPDATE:

4-Way Works Perfectly but one problem here:

normally on 4-way boards, usually 1st pci-e slot is the first one, on this particular motherboard I have, the last one is basically the first slot...

I have done where the last card is the primary card on that last asus board I had, and I got very unusually high temps on certain gpu's.

So right now:

2 gpu's out of 4, the temps is very very hot, the other 2 are fine, Might want to re-apply fresh thermal paste but don't feel like doing that now, will do it later, but I can confirm, 4-way works with this board, thanks for reading.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    jura11 and Kozary like this.

11. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    UPDATE ON CURRENT TEMPS UNDER 4-WAY SLI - 1-28-20:

Conducting some testing while running rise of the tomb raider, One of my personal choice for absolute brutal load.

As a remainder, I always put the lowest running Voltage(gpu's) from first to last, however in this case, gpu 3 runs alot hotter then the rest, Might have to move the card around and check temps, but the conclusion here is this:

The temps in general is very well under control, ALOT better then it was before:

This was also using a fresh Artic MX-4 on all 4 gpu's, and re-seated the heatsinks properly on all 4 gpu's.

The 4 120mm fans in top of the gpu's were the same ones I used in my phantek enthoo prime case, very high cfm on all 4 gpu's running at full blasted speed.

Also using round spacers inbetween each gpu(It is a MUST if your using a non aio version, Absolutely very very important, even though against using it, I Absolutely strongly recommend using it, no exceptions, roughly up to 8c drop per gpu).

Used my own personal custom made SMAA enhanced profile which I tuned months ago, Pretty much perfect scaling give or take.

All temps were recorded in a 70 degrees fahrenheit ambient room temperature.

Rise of tomb raider ran for good solid 15 mins during this test with absolutely no problems whatsoever, everything was basically smooth as butter with absolute 100% overall stability.

Temps are as follows:

GPU1: 56c @ 1.168V
    GPU2: 63c @ 1.175V
    GPU3: 70c @ 1.206V
    GPU4: 58c @ 1.187V

As you can see, GPU3 needs to be in the last slot, so I'll double check temps then, hopefully should be better.

Alot of it has to do how those 4 fans are aligned as well, this is not a case I was using before, totally different situation now.

Temps are very well under control here, which is one of the most important in any 4-way sli project.

Far as max temps I would go under 4-way sli, If you can keep it under 80c, you should be alright, but I would try to aim around low 70's to upper 70's if you could, absolute most I would go is probably low 80's.

in the 70's = Very good for 4-Way.

This is with using that HSPC top tech deck station, an open air bench table...

Thanks for reading, going to go back to where I was before, probably going to go back to the technomancer or monster hunter world.

UPDATE:

Moved gpu 3 to slot 4, now the Voltage on each gpu is reading correctly, from lowest to highest, slot 2 to 8(Supermicro x10DRG-q).

If you look at the + and - on both of these results, you can clearly see the first results, + & -, was better, but second recorded one which I will present here, is more balanced.

Game tested again: Rise of tomb raider, about almost 20 mins in:

I forgot to mention this before, this is also with Additional Thermal adhesive tape along with heatsinks on back of the pcb where the gpu's are at, along with vrms for additional cooling, used this on all 4 gpu's.

Results are as follows:

GPU1: 59c @ 1.168V
    GPU2: 69c @ 1.175V
    GPU3: 66c @ 1.187V
    GPU4: 63c @ 1.206V

And these results were before the changing slots of the gpu's(FIRST TEST):

GPU1: 56c @ 1.168V
    GPU2: 63c @ 1.175V
    GPU3: 70c @ 1.206V
    GPU4: 58c @ 1.187V

If you look very carefully here, the + and - here, if you were to do the math, the first one was better, but the second results provided better overall balanced temps.

So it seems, the first test done, total decrease temps on all 4 gpu's compared to the second test conducted, -10c difference, whereas the first one is +10, kinda big difference here, first one provided better overall +,- results, far as balanced, seems the second one was better.

Again, alot has to do with the fan positioning on top of the gpu's, those 4 high powered 120mm fans, Hard to mount them as its a bench table, I got to where it's alright but alignment plays alot of role here, so big contributing factor to take note here.

Very Very interesting Results.

And kinda off topic here, Just to let everyone know, I got my Asus Z10PE-D8 WS and my 2 1200w titanium's from Seasonic, All 3 which I rma'ed, Got them as we speak, got them awfully fast, Got the PSU's rma today and the mobo rma towards end of last week.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  12. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Hi @A M D BugBear

Sorry to hear about your issues with motherboard, I remember few friends used Asus Z10PE-D8 or Z10PE-D8 WS boards and most of them replaced them for Supermicro X10, I used Supermicro X10 board on friend build where friend is running 6*GTX1080Ti for rendering and he is very happy with the build I think he has been using E5-2683v3 for while

Regarding the PSU, what is yours power draw from wall with all GPUs running, I assume its close to 1250-1500W or more?

I'm running on my build Superflower 8pack 2000W PSU which is literally overkill for my build but works great there, I see power draw during the rendering 1150-1250W as max, previously I have run Seasonic 1250W which has been enough for such build but later on I added extra 750W just to be sure or be on safe side, I got at home EVGA G2 1600w which recently failed on my friend build

Good luck mate with build

Thanks, Jura

13. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    4-Way Sli - New photos - 1/29/20:

For those who's interested, uploaded some pics, These are with rounded spacers, they may scare some people away, but it works perfectly.

Sorry for not being the good looking one, but works good thus far.

Have a look:

Side shot view:

https://ibb.co/MSqNkKY

Front shot:

https://ibb.co/dpztYFx

AIO/RAM:

https://ibb.co/d72LQTs

AIO/Radiator/Front:

https://ibb.co/g4xZty5

Back Area/HDD/SDD:

https://ibb.co/pK05wHp

More Pics on AIO/RAD:

https://ibb.co/Y0W9c87

Side View:

https://ibb.co/qBWrTPB

More pics on AIO/RAM:

https://ibb.co/GMfmpkZ

4 High Powered 120 CFM Fan/TOP of the GPU's:

https://ibb.co/LvPpw6M

GPU's, Up close and personal with Rounded Spacers:

https://ibb.co/k9b7Vbr

Far View/Kinda Scary due to some slants on gpu's, no worries though, 0 Problems:

https://ibb.co/LCDb8dB

Like before, Spacers makes All the difference in the world when it comes to overall temps, Even though I am kinda against it, the gains you get in the end is an absolute must have, I have seen up to 8c drop per gpu, that is huge gains.

And to top it all off, the stands for the motherboard, Rubber stands with the hspc top tech deck station, along with perfectly aligned Plastic Adhesive standoffs on certain portions of the mounting area of the motherboard to keep it in place, again, This deck station is completely non-conductive, and underneath the hole of the motherboard, there is no metal or any sorts to keep the ground problems completely away, there is one metal screw however, bottom left of the mounting area, that area was actually one of the pillars that you had to screw down to, I had to take it out cause the board was in the way, I couldn't get rid of that screw cause its part of the pillar from underneath it, so I just snugged it in through the mounting area of the motherboard, so far, 0 problems.

As you can see, I completely eliminated the two pillars on the second tier of the bench station and the mounting area for the gpu's, I had no choice, the board is just way to large, but in the end, this is the only choice I had, also, second and third gpu, on the right side, underneath the hole, intel chipset heatsink area, I put some extra support, to help stabilize the gpu from moving to much, as I have no mounting screws to hold the gpu's in place, so far, works excellent, keeps it from moving, although not quite perfect but it holds pretty decent, so far, so good.

I got this station as I felt that I had the greatest chance of success of mounting the board to it, thank goodness I did, although far from perfect, alot of adjustment had to be made to make it fit, but in the end, it works.

UPDATE 3/9/2020:

One thing that caught me totally off guard but fixed the issue is the main system ram, right side, the blue slotted one, was touched back of the first gpu due to the spacers, even though it was working perfectly in this condition, I put something inbetween it so it will no longer have any issues, so far so good, again, sorry about that one particular photo, it is now fixed and no longer an issue.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    harry9x likes this.
  14. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    GREEDFALL - 4-WAY SLI - UPDATE - 1/29/20:

Back to Greedfall once again...

Just a re-cap on performance thus far:

Scaling with SSAO turned on = TOP DOG, BUT!, annoying Blur imprint is there while moving the camera, best to turn it off.

Without SSAO = Decent scaling, although not quite perfect but overall decent.

Also, Texuture MUST be set to high or lower, nothing higher, doing so will make the game totally unplayable.

Also on top of that, while venturing new areas, there might be some hitching here and there, no worries, it will quickly go away overtime, once it settles down, it won't do anymore for that particular area, usually when entering a new area, going back to the previous area = no problems.

Usually this pertains when loading a saved game and such...

So far looking Decent...

Was working on this game before, so I will continue on it as we speak...

Pretty much this game is practically done tuning, just trying to do a lil more tuning to squeeze out more performance, but overall looking decent.

---WORK IN PROGRESS---

harry9x likes this.
  15. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    GREEDFALL - 4-WAY SLI - UPDATE - 1/30/20:

Just to let everyone know, final conclusion to this game should be up probably by towards end of this week.

I found out what was causing mostly the major hitching/hang during gameplay, although it comes and goes, it could be annoying at times:

1st: Textures MUST be set to medium, although you can set to high but you will have some problems here and there, For best performance and smooth gameplay, MUST set to medium, Absolutely no exceptions.

2nd: Shadows MUST be set to high and not to ultra.

Also, Upon loading up saved game, even if you have SSAO turned off, you might experience that very annoying Burnt/blur overlay image background imprint, when you move your camera around, you can see a blur trail along with it, to fix this, switch your SSAO to high then back to off, should correct the issue.

I recorded some performance here, one movement trail, made sure camera angle was precise and correct, again this is not final conclusion performance, this is just a roughly how it would look in the end:

ALL GPU testing Clocked @ 1418MHZ(CORE),Memory @ 7516MHZ(Effective Rate):

Results:

1 GPU: MIN FPS: 17//MAX FPS: 25

4 GPU's: MIN FPS: 67//MAX FPS: 95

Another thing whats very interesting in this game, Not only its the only game that I am aware of when using Multi-Gpu Configuration, is that, TAA is indeed infact working, which is amazing,

And 2nd: Only game that I am aware of from all of my tuning experience thus far, when looking close up on the wall, ground, or a room where there is really anything, my scaling goes down, whereas, ALL the other game, The overall scaling potential sky rockets like no tomorrow, very interesting indeed.

Currently working around the scaling issues that are not up to par in certain angles and certain viewing instances.

Always check back for the latest updates as this game is STILL:

---WORK IN PROGRESS---

harry9x likes this.

16. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    UPDATE ON SPACERS - 4-WAY SLI - 2/1/20:

Just a quick update on spacers themselves.

I notice gpu2,3 and 4, temps were rock solid, whereas gpu1 had like a lil over 10c in temp gains.

So what my original thought was to reduce the spacer size from gpu 1 and 2, and guess what? temp went back to normal range.

The picture shown from my bench table, couple posts ago, I increase the space size a bit, cause I was also noticing gpu2 temp were rising, whereas the others were fine, Also messing around with drivers to see if it would play any role.

So Did some quick test, didn't stay for to long, right off the back, big difference.

Originally, spacers were my own idea from the very beginning and no one else.

Temps looks very good now.

Thanks for reading.

17. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    NVIDIA DRIVERS 450.12 - 4-WAY SLI - UPDATE - 2/3/20:

Gave these drivers a try and I originally expected from the beginning, just like the 44x.xx drivers, these do NOT WORK.

The Absolute latest one I would use is the Vulkan Beta: 436.65 or the Modded Quadro Drivers 431.94, other then that, do not use.

I have tried several 44x.xx in the past, all are complete dud's under 4-way.

About 3/4 performance, and tons and tons of unwanted lag,etc, despite decent ms(FRAMETIME), seems like it was purposely put in there, Its pretty bad BOY!

Until Further notice, only use 436.65 vulkan drivers as the absolute latest, thanks.

18. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    GREEDFALL - 4-WAY SLI - UPDATE - 2/4/20:

Just heads up where I am at with this game, way over due with this game, final conclusion I am working very hard on it as we speak but came across some issues:

First of all, I am trying to beef up the overall scaling potential without using SSAO(cause some annoying Blur Trail Overlay while moving camera), very very very difficult to do.

I jotted down lots of performance reading with and without SSAO, it seems to be from initial observation, without SSAO, its really good up to 3-WAY SLI performance, although some areas and or camera angle, 4-way is using pretty good but far as overall, SSAO is the very best for 4-Way configuration, despite graphic anomalies with SSAO turned on.

Another thing I tried to do is beef up the resolution even further without SSAO, I even tried 4.5k, and 5k(3200p/DSR), even though DSR flickers like mad crazy, I only use custom resolution, I checked 1 gpu performance and then 4, barely even touching the 4th card, for this reason, I am only going to be doing final conclusion testing with SSAO, I might include it in the final report for those who are curious, many would find it very disappointing.

I am very hard at work trying to get rid of that burnt blur trail while SSAO is being turned on, Very very very stubborn to get rid of, although, scaling is very good, other then the blur trail,imprint left behind, some other graphic anomalies is present while using SSAO, some of the water, appears to be flashing, not all, some, in some buildings, some windows appears to be flashing a bit, Very few windows, not all buildings, and also during in-game cutscenes, when it moves to one scene to the next, you might experience a white flicker, a very quick one, other then that, scaling is very good with SSAO...

Whats very interesting is this, at 4k, with SSAO and without SSAO, my fps stays exactly the same, very interesting.

Some can get around with SSAO, some may not, for me, its not to bad, although the effect can get worse, to fix this, switch it back to off then back to high.

Game is very very very crazy folks, man your not kiddin', JESUS.

I been trying to do more bit tuning without SSAO to further improve the overall scaling potential, not very easy.

Even at 5k(3200p), nope, YOU MUST use SSAO to bring out the scaling potential, Absolutely no exceptions.

If your not going to be using SSAO, 3-WAY is your very best option, absolutely 100%.

Final conclusion coming up very soon, look for it later on, I am trying to hope for today or if not, tomorrow's time frame, no guarantee's though, but hoping.

Thanks for reading, absolutely means alot.

UPDATE ON SSAO:

Just to let everyone know, I closely re-observed SSAO @ 4.5k(4434x2771-16:10 Aspect Ratio):

In Static mode(Stationary).

1 GPU: 15 FPS

4 GPU's: 58 FPS

Better overall scaling potetinal then 2400p with SSAO.

Going to be conducting more tests.

Far as overall tuning of the BITS themselves and the Unknown ID settings, ALL finished, I can no longer continue as they are not further improving its performance, so it is all complete, now going to be jotting down tons of performance tests.

Final Conclusion Test will include:

With and without SSAO @

3840x2400 and 4434x2771(highest I can go with custom resolution, sorry).

Be sure to look for it, you don't wanna miss this one out.

And also, very important about this one, just heads up cause I never mentioned this before:

Overall Tuning Sensitivity = EXCELLENT, Absolutely nothing to worry about, Harder then pure Steel.

Overall game Stability = Perfect 10 out of 10.

UPDATE ON MS(FRAMETIME):

In the first area, before you sail your ship to the other island, if your resolution is set to 2771p and if you have your SSAO to high(MAX), you will experience, a very high MS(FRAMETIME) every know and then, thus, when moving camera, it won't be smooth, kinda jerky in a way, to correct this, try setting the SSAO to normal, BIG difference, usually HIGH FRAMETIME sometime could indicate, settings are WAY to strong for the GPU or to high in general.

In the island zone, Using SSAO on high @ 2771p is ALOT better, however, you will still experience some kinda high MS(FRAMETIME), again, set it to normal, absolutely big difference, again, only applies to 2771p or higher(NOT RECOMMENDED).

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  19. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    PRELUDE TO FINAL CONCLUSION TO GREEDFALL - 4-WAY SLI - UPDATE - 2-5/20:

For those who are not familiar with this game, here are some trailers to look at:

Final Conclusion for this game will be up very shortly, today of course, be sure to look for the latest updates, you don't wanna miss this one out.

Some Trailers to gaze on:

Get ready!

fantaskarsef likes this.
  20. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    GREEDFALL - 4-WAY SLI - FINAL CONCLUSION #1 - 2/5/2020:

Before I begin, those who wants to listen to the original soundtrack while reading, here it is:

Later when I first I played this game, game reminds me very highly of the mmo:

Grando Espada(Swords 2: Revelations), were you play 3 char's, 2 are AI Controlled.

Back to the game:

Here it is, Greedfall running under 4-Sli Configuration mode, is it even possible? Let us all find out...

Lots of time was spent on this game, and had a good time on it.

The overall scaling performance is very good only IF you use SSAO, but the down fall of using the SSAO is that it leaves that annoying burnt, blur looking trail while moving the camera, I highly suspect its coming from motion blur or SSAO Blur, but no way to shut it off.

Another thing I never mentioned earlier, although, I have stated earlier that TAA is infact working under 4-Way mode, HOWEVER, its effectiveness I never mentioned before, although it is working, it is no where near as the single GPU counterpart, in other words, while running under 1 GPU mode, the Effect of using TAA is MUCH MUCH stronger by a long shot...

I have tried other methods that I remember in the past, I believe it was Alien Isolation, using the Alias Mod, which use TAA as well, in that game, I couldn't even get it to work under 4-Way, later on, I figured it out how to work but it does't work with Greedfall sadly, what it does it cuts the performance to 1 gpu mode.

That particular bits is:

Under Sli Specific Hacks:

0x0000<<~~ this one

Went through a great deal of it, and for Greedfall, it does not work period.

That being said, everything has up's and down's, this is being the downside while running under 4-Way.

I have jotted down TONS readings from this game, and as Promised, here they are, The moment we "ALL" been waiting for, the Performance Results themselves.

First particular readings here is going to be STATIC, in other words, your charc stays still(IDLE) while viewing in a certain angle/view, I got many more after that but lets start with these first.

These 3 Static places where done in the first zone of the game, the beginning of the game.

All tests are done at:

2400p with no SSAO/2400p With SSAO(HIGH)/2771p with no SSAO & 2771p with SSAO(normal)

As a remainder, later on, the movement recordings I have done, I used 2771p with SSAO under normal and NOT HIGH as the frame time is way to high, so during the time while I doing the performance readings of the Static ones, didn't realize it at that particular time, as the 2771p(4.5K) static ones are with SSAO set to high.

Again, Static as in NO MOVEMENT being made whatsoever, just idle, viewing in a certain angle/view.

The reason I used 2771p is because to put more load on to the gpu's while using NO SSAO.

I always use custom resolution because if I use DSR, anything above native resolution under 4-Way Sli Mode, everything flickers like crazy, custom resolution does NOT have this problem, 4.5k(2771p) is the highest I can take this card under Custom Resolution, which is staggering for this game.

Jotted down 3 different locations in the beginning:

Please View everything with PC, much better then stinkin' mobile, as this particular section won't view right, thank you.

Results are as follows:

STATIC LOCATION #1:

@ 2400p/no ssao: | @ 2400p w/ssao:

1 GPU: 29 FPS |||| 1 GPU: 22 FPS

4 GPU's: 92 FPS | 4 GPU's: 80 FPS

@ 2771p/no ssao: | @ 2771p w/ssao:

1 GPU: 23 FPS |||| 1 GPU: 17 FPS

4 GPU's: 71 FPS | 4 GPU's: 58 FPS

STATIC LOCATION #2:

1 GPU: 25 FPS |||| 1 GPU: 19 FPS

4 GPU's: 82 FPS | 4 GPU's: 72 FPS

1 GPU: 19 FPS |||| 1 GPU: 14 FPS

4 GPU's: 73 FPS | 4 GPU's: 55 FPS

STATIC LOCATION #3:

1 GPU: 22 FPS |||| 1 GPU: 17 FPS

4 GPU's: 76 FPS | 4 GPU's: 63 FPS

1 GPU: 17 FPS |||| 1 GPU: 13 FPS

4 GPU's: 65 FPS | 4 GPU's: 50 FPS

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MOVEMENT PATTERN #1, EVERYTHING WAS RECORDED TO HAVE VERY PRECISE AND ACCURATE RESULTS, ALSO MADE SURE CAMERA ANGLE, ETC WAS THE EXACT SAME WHILE PLAYING THE GAME, AREA OF THIS SECTION: FIRST ZONE(BEGINNING OF THE GAME):

RESULTS:

@ 2400p/no ssao:

1 GPU:

MIN FPS: 18//AVG FPS 23//MAX FPS: 33//1% LOW: 17 FPS//.1% LOW: 11 FPS

4 GPU's:

MIN FPS: 65//AVG FPS: 77//MAX FPS: 97//1% LOW: 50 FPS//.1% LOW: 25 FPS

@ 2400p w/ssao(HIGH):

1 GPU:

MIN FPS: 16//AVG FPS: 18//MAX FPS: 23//1% LOW: 14 FPS//.1% LOW: 12 FPS

4 GPU's:

MIN FPS: 53//AVG FPS: 67//MAX FPS: 89//1% LOW 30 FPS//.1% LOW: 28 FPS

@ 2771p/no ssao:

1 GPU:

MIN FPS: 15//AVG FPS: 18//MAX FPS: 26//1% LOW: 14 FPS//.1% LOW: 12 FPS

4 GPU's:

MIN FPS: 56//AVG FPS: 69//MAX FPS: 92//1% LOW: 32 FPS//.1% LOW: 29 FPS

@ 2771p w/ssao(NORMAL):

1 GPU:

MIN FPS: 13//AVG FPS: 16//MAX FPS 22//1% LOW: 12 FPS//.1% LOW: 10 FPS

4 GPU's:

MIN FPS: 50//AVG FPS: 62//MAX FPS: 85//1% LOW: 27 FPS//.1% LOW: 22 FPS

MOVEMENT PATTERN #2:

@ 2400p/no ssao:

1 GPU:

MIN FPS: 20//AVG FPS: 24//MAX FPS: 28//1% LOW: 19 FPS//.1% LOW: 14 FPS

4 GPU's:

MIN FPS: 71//AVG FPS: 84//MAX FPS: 93//1% LOW: 53 FPS//.1% LOW: 38 FPS

@ 2400p w/ssao(HIGH):

1 GPU:

MIN FPS: 16//AVG FPS: 19//MAX FPS: 21//1% LOW: 15 FPS//.1% LOW: 13 FPS

4 GPU's:

MIN FPS: 57//AVG FPS: 69//MAX FPS: 79//1% LOW: 38 FPS//.1% LOW: 31 FPS

@ 2771p/no ssao:

1 GPU:

MIN FPS: 17//AVG FPS: 19//MAX FPS: 21//1% LOW: 15 FPS//.1% LOW: 13 FPS

4 GPU's:

MIN FPS: 58//AVG FPS: 71//MAX FPS: 82//1% LOW: 43 FPS//.1% LOW: 36 FPS

@ 2771p w/ssao(NORMAL):

1 GPU:

MIN FPS: 14//AVG FPS: 16//MAX FPS: 19//1% LOW: 14 FPS//.% LOW: 12 FPS

4 GPU's:

MIN FPS: 53//AVG FPS: 64//MAX FPS: 74//1% LOW: 33 FPS//.1% LOW: 22 FPS

MOVEMENT PATTERN #3:

@ 2400p/no ssao:

1 GPU:

MIN FPS: 26//AVG FPS: 33//MAX FPS: 47 FPS//1% LOW: 25 FPS//.1% LOW: 23 FPS

4 GPU's:

MIN FPS: 94//AVG FPS: 104//MAX FPS: 112//1% LOW: 79 FPS//.1% LOW: 66 FPS

@ 2400p w/ssao(HIGH):

1 GPU:

MIN FPS: 20//AVG FPS: 23//MAX FPS: 29//1% LOW: 14 FPS//.1% LOW: 16 FPS

4 GPU's:

MIN FPS: 78//AVG FPS: 85//MAX FPS: 109//1% LOW: 43 FPS//.1% LOW: 35 FPS

@ 2771p/no ssao:

1 GPU:

MIN FPS: 19//AVG FPS: 25//MAX FPS: 35//1% LOW: 14 FPS//.1% LOW: 16 FPS

4 GPU's:

MIN FPS: 79//AVG FPS: 94//MAX FPS: 112//1% LOW: 47 FPS//.1% LOW: 38 FPS

@ 2771p w/ssao(NORMAL):

1 GPU:

MIN FPS: 18//AVG FPS: 21//MAX FPS: 27//1% LOW: 17 FPS//.1% LOW: 13 FPS

4 GPU's:

MIN FPS: 67//AVG FPS: 82//MAX FPS: 107//1% LOW: 35 FPS//.1% LOW: 30 FPS

NEXT MOVEMENT PATTERN IS IN THE ISLAND AREA, AFTER YOU SAIL YOUR SHIP FROM THE FIRST ZONE.

THIS RECORDING WAS DONE, OUTSIDE OF THE TOWN AREA, WHERE YOU SEE:

PLAINS,GRASS,MOUNTAINS,OCEAN,ETC.

ONLY 1 PERFORMANCE TEST WAS DONE:

THIS AREA IS VERY WEAK WITHOUT SSAO, SO KEEP THIS IN MIND, SSAO IS THE GAME CHANGER FOR SCALING UNDER 4-WAY SLI.

RESULTS:

@ 2400p/no ssao:

1 GPU:

MIN FPS: 20//AVG FPS 30//MAX FPS: 30//1% LOW: 20 FPS//.1% LOW: 16 FPS

4 GPU's:

MIN FPS: 49//AVG FPS: 70//MAX FPS: 82//1% LOW: 47//.1% LOW: 29 FPS

@ 2400p w/ssao(HIGH):

1 GPU:

MIN FPS: 16//AVG FPS: 21//MAX FPS: 27//1% LOW: 15 FPS//.1% LOW: 14 FPS

4 GPU's:

MIN FPS: 53//AVG FPS: 69//MAX FPS: 84//1% LOW: 48 FPS//.1% LOW: 24 FPS

@ 2771p/no ssao

1 GPU:

MIN FPS: 16//AVG FPS: 23//MAX FPS: 30//1% LOW: 15 FPS//.1% LOW: 14 FPS

4 GPU's:

MIN FPS: 49 FPS//AVG FPS: 70//MAX FPS: 85//1% LOW: 39 FPS//.1% LOW: 28 FPS

@ 2771p w/ssao(NORMAL):

1 GPU:

MIN FPS: 14//AVG FPS: 20//MAX FPS: 26//1% LOW: 14 FPS//.1% LOW: 13 FPS

4 GPU's:

MIN FPS: 49 FPS//AVG FPS: 67//MAX FPS: 89//1% LOW: 32//.1% LOW: 27 FPS

I also notice that while viewing around the ocean area, higher then 4k(2400p), you might want to lower your draw distance a bit as the frame time will go haywire, every so often, it will come back to normal then bounce way up high, I might have to re-conduct this particular test again, I think this may have cause the low min fps, cause of the ocean/water, if anything changes, it will be revised, as of now, this is where it stands, thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This particular section covers the in-game actual cut-scene, right after you meet up with the captain and fight the first boss:

RESULTS are as follows:

@ 2400p/no ssao:

1 GPU:

MIN FPS: 11//AVG FPS: 26//MAX FPS: 46//1% LOW: 11 FPS//.1% LOW: 10 FPS

4 GPU's:

MIN FPS: 43//AVG FPS: 84//MAX FPS: 109//1% LOW: 25 FPS//.1% LOW: 13 FPS

@ 2400p w/ssao(HIGH):

1 GPU:

MIN FPS: 9//AVG FPS: 16//MAX FPS: 30//1% LOW: 9 FPS//.1% LOW: 9 FPS

4 GPU's:

MIN FPS: 32//AVG FPS: 63//MAX FPS: 108//1% LOW: 13 FPS//.1% LOW: 12 FPS

@ 2771p/no ssao:

1 GPU:

MIN FPS: 7//AVG FPS: 18//MAX FPS: 34//1% LOW: 7 FPS//.1% LOW: 7 FPS

4 GPU's:

MIN FPS: 36//AVG FPS: 74//MAX FPS: 115//1% LOW: 22 FPS//.1% LOW: 13 FPS

@ 2771p w/ssao(NORMAL):

1 GPU:

MIN FPS: 7//AVG FPS: 15//MAX FPS: 28//1% LOW: 6 FPS//.1% LOW: 6 FPS

4 GPU's:

MIN FPS: 31//AVG FPS: 63//MAX FPS: 108//1% LOW: 12 FPS//.1% LOW: 10 FPS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FIRST BOSS FIGHT PERFORMANCE TEST:

RESULTS:

@ 2400p/no ssao:

1 GPU:

MIN FPS: 15//AVG FPS 19//MAX FPS: 23//1% LOW: 14 FPS//.1% LOW: 13 FPS

4 GPU's:

MIN FPS: 53//AVG FPS: 71//MAX FPS: 89//1% LOW: 34 FPS//.1% LOW: 29 FPS

@ 2400p w/ssao(HIGH):

1 GPU:

MIN FPS: 9//AVG FPS: 15//MAX FPS: 19//1% LOW: 9 FPS//.1% LOW: 4 FPS

4 GPU's:

MIN FPS: 39//AVG FPS: 57//MAX FPS: 78//1% LOW: 20 FPS//.1% LOW: 9 FPS

@ 2771p/no ssao:

1 GPU:

MIN FPS: 10//AVG FPS: 15//MAX FPS: 18//1% LOW: 6 FPS//.1% LOW: 6 FPS

4 GPU's:

MIN FPS: 36//AVG: 57//MAX FPS: 73//1% LOW: 19 FPS//.1% LOW: 9 FPS

@ 2771p w/ssao(NORMAL):

1 GPU:

MIN FPS: 8//AVG FPS: 13//MAX FPS: 17//1% LOW: 9 FPS//.1% LOW: 15 FPS

4 GPU's:

MIN FPS: 31//AVG FPS: 54//MAX FPS: 74//1% LOW: 16 FPS//.1% LOW: 8 FPS

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THIS SECTION COVER THE OVERALL TEMPS WHILE THE GAME WAS UNDER STATIONARY MODE(NO MOVEMENT) WHILE UNDER BRUTAL LOAD ON ALL 4 GPU'S, TEST WAS DONE UNDER 4.5K(2771p) W/SSAO SET TO NORMAL, TEST CONDUCTED FOR GOOD 20 MINS IN A LOW 70 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT AMBIENT ROOM TEMPERATURE.

RESULTS ARE AS FOLLOWS:

GPU #1: 58C
    GPU #2: 62C
    GPU #3: 64C
    GPU #4: 60C

Remember, all 4 gpu's are of a NON AIO's, All 4 gpu's has spacers, Upgraded thermal paste,pads, all 4 gpu's backplates totally removed, extra heatsinks and pads for the back of the pcb's for additional cooling support, additional 4 110cfm fans on top of the gpu's.

Please scroll up to other of my post's to see my latest pics of this, Everything in the cooling dept. is very well under control, I take my cooling, especially under 4-way Sli, very seriously.

Overall Scaling usage on all 4 gpu's, well over 95%, gpu 3 at times had in the low 90's, all others around 96-99%, and using open air bench table, this was not done in a pc case, everything was done using the hspc top tech deck station, so bear that in mind.

Please visit the next post, don't have room to fit the next area, the Bits themselves.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    fantaskarsef likes this.