My Experience: Windows Vista Beta2

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by slacker126, Feb 9, 2006.

1. slacker126

slacker126 Member

GPU:
    Inno3D 275GTX
    I have heard about people whining because the CTP December 5270 version of Vista is still really buggy and gives all sorts of problems so i figured i would give it a shot and here i am 18hrs later feeling im ready to voice my personal opinion on the matter. I have messed around with just about everything and looked at most of the new GUI settings and i have to say i am quite pleased with what microsoft is doing so far. Down to the small things like implimenting IPv6 which i dont honestly know if it will ever be used but they certainly thing so and im glad to see they are considering the future in this OS design. Much of the new transparency and visual features seem to work well and i like much of the changes so far. The big deal seems to be with people saying nothing is compatible but i beg to differ, within a few hours i got AIM, Divx, Winamp all to work and im sure many other progs wont have much trouble as i didnt have to fight with much of anything so far. My SB Audigy driver worked right in and Nvidia's Beta drivers for Nforce3 boards seem to be doing their job properly. Everything else on my system was picked up and ready from the point of install. The new ATI beta driver is a joke but i installed anyhow and everything seems to be okay...anyhow i would say go out and try Vista, its definately friendly enough for anyone to try and not nearly as buggy as people have been making it out to be. I leave you all with a few glamour shots:)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2006
  2. SniperDaws

SniperDaws Banned

GPU:
    XFX7600GTXXX Zalman Vf900
    ive got it aswell, ive not installed it yet, do you have to install it from winxp or can you do a clean install, ive not burned it to disc yet cos i got it this morning. ive mounted it and it comes up with install now, can you let me know cos i wouldnt mind trying it.

Also is there a chipset driver for vista for my asrock Dual SATA2 mobo?

3. slacker126

slacker126 Member

GPU:
    Inno3D 275GTX
    i installed it through XP but i had a second HDD that was fresh so i simply put it on that...it gives you the choice on which harddrive/partition you would like to put it on so as long as you have one or the other you should be good.

as for your Asrock mobo, i dont know if there is a beta driver for the board or not, i believe that is ULi chipset and if im correct you might get lucky on the install and it will find/install most components on its own, you'll probably have to goto Asrock or ULi to see if they offer any compatible drivers so far. good luck

4. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Before you do realise that it don't use boot.ini, even when you format the HD its on it still presents the boot option and is hard to remove.

5. Morpheous416

Morpheous416 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060 Ventus GP
    It is strongly suggested as dcx mentions, to install Vista beta on a hard drive with no other OS on the system. Just remove your XP hard drive, and use another.

6. TomCatV

TomCatV Maha Guru

GPU:
    Ti4200 "My-Fast"
    Nice comments ... I agree ... free market capitalism don't ya love it! Gave up the Mac's ... was just getting use to 98SE, finally gave in to XP ... now what? ... when it comes to software I guess I'm a bit challenged ... although am I not seeing that much difference/improvement ... beauty is indeed in the "Eye" of the beholder ....

7. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    I used the latest build of Vista, it's average.

They will not get many people upgrading, especially in the way of corporate or educational institutes. Just because of the requirements, not everyone has that much money to buy super computers to run the damn thing.

IPv6 will be used, just IPv4 is running out of address's, and IPv6 will cover us for a long long time to come, that said, majority of the people are hesitant to upgrade to support it fully, it's just not worth it yet.

Over the next 5-10 years I think we will be though.

8. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    are all of you msdn suscriberS??

9. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    I am part of the MSDN Academic Alliance.

Not sure about these other guys.

10. marmo

marmo Member

GPU:
    ATI 2900XT
    Actually I have done both, installing Vista fresh by itself on a seperate HD of course and then upgrading a XP installation. I have to tell you the Upgrade was far better and performed much better with less driver conflicts during install.

11. marmo

marmo Member

GPU:
    ATI 2900XT