1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My experience playing Crysis with a 4870x2

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by JFlash, Aug 26, 2008.

1. JFlash

JFlash Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870x2
    Well I was pretty pumped to play this game on my new computer. I read in every review of the 4870x2 that, although you're not going to average 60fps at very high settings and res, at least it'll run amazing compared to other cards.

Well, some people say they run very high settings, AF and AA on an 8800GT with a smooth frame rate, others say they have to turn down settings to high on their x280 to have an enjoyable experience. I really don't know what to believe anymore, all I know is that running high settings in DX9 mode at 1600x1050 will still dip into the low 20's during intense firefights. Really just annoying.

I have to say, the game play seems awesome, but it's begging for a higher frame rate. In the hardest difficulty, you can be hit from very, very far away, and there's bullet lag too. It's hard aiming sub-30fps for someone's head in these conditions. I always play games at their highest difficulty with no problem, so this is kinda discouraging.

Surprisingly, this game doesn't look nearly as good as I thought it would. Even on very high, a lot of the textures are blurry. The shadows are washed out. There's a lot of pop-in. The indoor environments especially look like crap. I'm only a few levels in, maybe they start to improve in appearance because there's no way the indoor parts could look this bad throughout the whole game.

Craziest thing of all though, the parts that look the best run the best. There are a few scenes that look really amazing, and I get 50+fps at those parts. Just odd, the frame rate moves between 60-20 constantly and randomly, but the best looking scenes always run the best.

So yeah, that's my experience and my opinions. I thought I'd be more disappointed but truthfully, I'm finding TF2 to be a much more fun and better looking game, so I guess that keeps me distracted :) . People think I'm nuts when I tell them that TF2 looks better than Crysis. I admit that I have TF2 maxed out with a consistently high frame rate, but when I played Crysis on very high for a little while I didn't remember it looking as good as TF2.

2. da_unique

da_unique Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX770 + GTX670 (SLI)
    Crysis is a bitch, im playing on dx9 very high 1600x1200, and its only half fluid without any antialiasing.
    Putting 4x or even 2x aa and fps goes to <15 i think.. thats on a 4870 :S

3. fetabob

fetabob Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 9800GTX/8600GTS PhysX
    not convinced either that the textures look better on Full whack DX10. I like to see a sharpness to the leaves on the bushes.
    I spend a lot of time looking at bush though.

4. wekktor

wekktor Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX470 SC @ 780/1620
    same here, I changed my 2x 4870s to a GTX280 to getter better fps in crysis, but, no, there was not that much diffirent. But one thing I noted on the new gtx280 is that the image quality is MUCH better than with 4870, and that is very good.

5. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    ur cpu is a total bottneck thats why

6. D3lta

D3lta Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS HD7970 DCU2

MUCH better? Marijuana Rulez here!!:banana:

Please guy, post the BETTER image screen on NVIDIA. you cant only stay at the theory and fanatic post.

Crysis is a crazy bitch in performance on ATI cards ( Crysis is Nv marketing machine)..... Do you want to play Crysis only forever? Buy a Nvidia and be happy forever.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  7. JFlash

JFlash Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870x2
    Yeah, I know that Crysis isn't nice to ATI, but still, I think it should be running better on my comp. I also can't enable AA on TF2, even after I reinstalled it, so I think I'm having some driver or software conflict. Considering that I had trouble installing the 8.8's at first, and that I have a bunch of failed updates from Windows Update (it also keeps asking me to install SP1, even though it was supposed to already be on my install disk), it seems pretty possible.

Hopefully I'll get Crysis running at an enjoyable level at some point, because it really is a good game.

8. d1fferent

d1fferent Maha Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    OMG It's Crysis not halo 58,

Fair dues great game but it annoys me ppl who buy new graphics cards to play crysis a few FPS quicker. F******g annoying!

Wait till new archtexture actually allows you to get more than 50FPS everything very high 16 x aa and 16x af @ 2560x1600,

Probably arrive in the year 2018 at this rate lol, (before some of you guru's take this seriously it's just a joke lol :D:p)

d1fferent,

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  9. JFlash

JFlash Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870x2
    Yeah well, I didn't get this vid card just for Crysis. I really wanted a card that would run pretty much any game maxed out with no tweaking. So far it's doing a great job of that, this game being the exception.

10. mehdi

mehdi Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970

11. JFlash

JFlash Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870x2
    His E8400 is at 4.0Ghz though. That must be making a huge difference because running at very high settings w/ 2xAA at more than 30fps average seems impossible from what I've experienced.

12. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    I don't agree.

Conversely, I think Crysis is the worst coded game with the worst gameplay since ping-pong, which might explain why it runs like a whore in a wheelchair.

13. JFlash

JFlash Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870x2
    If it's one of those wheelchairs powered by a mouth piece I'd think a whore would make it go pretty fast.

14. RiSq

RiSq Member

GPU:
    4870X2 CrossfireX
    Even Crytek say it could have been much better...

Apparently (I take this as rumour until i see it myself) the next installment of Crysis, Out next month (Same story, but you play as Psycho) is meant to be much better...

Let's hope so, as this "I wanna play Crysis on full" is getting old now....

15. JFlash

JFlash Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870x2
    Are they going to improve the performance of the original game then?

16. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    Not sure what the final product is like, but previously they said that Crysis Warhead would be playable on "high" settings on an 8600GT

17. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    on my gtx280 1900x1200 wth no AA dx10 Very High its mostly in the mid to upper 20's
    dx9 never dips below 32fps though, mostly in the mid 40's

Custom Ultra spec with same as above drops it several frames
    1280x1024 with 8xAA seems to be the sweet spot, very smooth and playable on any scene.

as far as blurry textures the OP noted...i dont see them at high resolutions with Ultra spec customs. very crisp. some objects are better than others but none that are blurry.
    pop ins happen on DX10 in a fast scene flyby. other than that i dont notice it.

water looks freaking amazing at this level though...no game comes close and if you turn it to low with everything else at Very high, you can see quite an fps boost, so i think water is whats taking the toll on hardware.

and how many games have this kind of destructable enviro's? no wonder it runs rough.
    on dx9 i get the same frames as Oblivion and that game doesnt have near what Crysis has, so that says something about the coding.

18. JFlash

JFlash Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870x2
    My monitor has a native resolution of 1920x1200, which obviously is creating problems for Crysis. Lowering the resolution though makes the game look really bad. Does enabling GPU scaling in the CCC fix this?

19. RiSq

RiSq Member

GPU:
    4870X2 CrossfireX
    My native is also 1900 x 1200. What's wrong with Crysis for you? If I run it at the max Res possible, it looks great. I found turning on x2 AA, everything ultra high, it looks awesome. It's still very playable. That's on a q9550 with 4 GB DDR3 CAS 7 aswell though, which I dunno if it will help.

Im actually so impressed with it, I haven't even put my 2nd 4870 X2 back in the machine yet lol

My max temp playing games seems to be 62c, that's with 45% fan. My case is also extremely well vented, with 6 x 120mm fans and 1 x 200mm fan.

Watercooling is the next step, but I don't know where to start! :nerd:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  20. Maye

Maye Member

GPU:
    Palit 1070 SJS
    @JFlash yep they're going to improve the code get the garbage out of it to provide better performance