My experience on crashes at clocks that should work fine

Discussion in 'ATI Tray Tools Generic Discussion' started by enarth, Aug 25, 2011.

1. enarth

enarth New Member

GPU:
    HD 6970M 2GB
    I already posted this in the ati tray tool forum, but since no one seems to have any clue about my problem, i guess it can be considered as a comment on how ati tray tool works for me (therefore satisfying this forum rules) .

Here is the post:

I have been looking for quite a while now at a lot of different places, but i guess if i can't find an answer here... it just means i m screwed

First of all, i have a hd6970M which works fine, but gets a little too hot for me (around 95°c on furmark, with stock clocks (680/900 at 1.1V)
    that's why i decided to overclock and downvolt, because i encountered a lot of people who succeded in doing so.
    After trying a lot of things, i got to 800/1000 at 1.010V that works fine with saphire trix

But with ATI tray tool, i can't go over 719/936 at 1.1V (but 719/936@1.01V works) without crashing. I get a red screen with black vertical lines.
    Even with CCC i can go to 710/1000 without any problems.

So why do i crash when i overclock with ATI tray tool when it should work perfectly?

I would like to add another post i published on the notebookcheck forum:

Hi guys

I tried downvolting/overclocking my 6970m, but i encountered some strange problems

For the downvolting part, like most of you, or at least for what i have read, i can't go under 0.75V either, take it as a confirmation of what was stated before.

Now the interesting part; my problem is that i think Ati Tray tool is not working properly on my system.
    I tried of lot of voltages and when i try to go as low as possible with the stock clocks something strange happen.
    I can reach 680/900@0.951V without any artefact on the 3D renderer and on the furmark bench.
    But when i try 680/900@0.950V no artefacts or anything it just crashes, i get a black screen for a few seconds, then my desktop partially comes back for a few seconds and it crashes again...
    I have the same thing at 740/900@1.001V it crashes at 740/900@1.000 but this time i get a red screen... but still no artefacts 0.001V before, which i find really strange, going from working perfectly fine playing the witcher 2 for 1hour (740/900@1.001V), to just crashing as soon as i get to 1.000V

And with ATI tray tool i can't get my memory clock to go over 945Mhz no matter what the voltage is, it crashes... i can't even get to work fine at 710/1000@1.1V with Ati tray tool whereas with CCC i can do it. With sapphire Trix i can even get to 800/1000 without any problems...

So i can't figure out why, why can't i get 710/100 to work with ATI tray tool, when it's perfectly stable with CCC...
    Why do a 0.001V difference crashes without having any artefacts before?

I hope this comment might help you correct a bug, if it is one, or simply make the program easier to use by highligting what have to be done (if i didn't do something properly)
    I also hope i have been clear enough, i would really be grateful to get some feedbacks on that matter.

2. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    This could be a problem in voltage and how ATT sets it. Its hard to find whats wrong without such hardware. really have no idea what to suggest you

3. enarth

enarth New Member

GPU:
    HD 6970M 2GB
    Thank you for your answer,
    I came to a similiar conclusion with the 0.001V variation which makes me crash...
    But i think it's not the only problem. I can only guess, but it seems that something is wrong with how the memory clock works. Because i can overclok my mermory with sapphire trix and CCC but no matter what voltage i use, i can't go over 940mhz or so with ATT.

I guess, for the time being i m pretty much srewed :D

I will patiently wait for a new release that might help me. i will still use ATT since despite that problem, i still can donwvolt my graphic card to a useful state.

thank you for your work on this very usefull tool

4. ArgonV

ArgonV Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD XFX R9 295x2
    ATT does have issues with down clocking/volting when you set up a profile in it.

With my system, if I set a "always on" 3d profile in ATT (Max default clocks and voltage) but play a Youtube video (Which auto down-clocks and down-volts) I get a freeze. However if I don't set a clocks profile in ATT but do set one in CCC and configure a hotkey for it, my card downclocks fine in Youtube (Flash) and I get no freeze.