My debut album

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by DethoticA, Dec 12, 2017.

1. DethoticA

DethoticA Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 470 1280
    Hi Guys,

Just thought I would post it here on an odd chance that there are some metal music lovers here. I have recently published my first ever instrumental album and I am really proud of it! Please check it out on my youtube channel.

If you like what you hear please share it with your friends or if you wish to support me - it's on sale on all big digital distrubuters (inc Spotify, Deezer, AmaronMp3 and 100+ others) but the cheapest price is on BandCamp:
    http://unknowninstrumentals.bandcamp.com/album/the-darkest-corner-of-the-mind

Many thanks

P.S. I am not a spamm bot.... or am I !? anyway, Moderators, please be gentle :)

2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    That is pretty good! I would describe it somewhere between old school In Flames, Amon Amarth and Paradise Lost, with a milder overall tone.

I like it! :D

DethoticA likes this.
  3. DethoticA

DethoticA Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 470 1280
    Yip, some of those bands are to blame for my music :) As well Therion, Katatonia (early albums), The Gathering (Always) etc.

Glad you like the album ;)

4. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Congratulation on release!

The Darkest Corner of the Mind is really something. That constant built-up, like a pressure and stress without release. Made me feel younger, desperate and suicidal for a moment...
    I wish you all the best and good luck in music production.

You got yourself a customer.

DethoticA likes this.

5. DethoticA

DethoticA Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 470 1280
    Thank you for your kind wishes Sverek. The Darkest Corner Of The Mind song is one of my favourites. It's the longest track of the album but it took the least effort to write and record it, almost like if there was something inside of me that had to come out... I still remember that after rather a few vodkas at 1 am in the morning i picked my guitar and recorded "solo" for that song, the following morning i listened to it and it was like "What The F$"! is that" but somehow it grew on me and it stayed on the record, the only trouble is that I can never play it live :)

sverek likes this.
  6. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    For now I am going to close it, just to review it with other mods and see what this is considered...

7. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    grats on the album. as an ex musician, i know how much work you can sink into such things! i usually listen to heavier stuff, but theres not enough instrumental material out there (because of the understandable emphasis on music theory itself; a lot of otherwise creative people simply cant write)...so by that metric, i can definitely appreciate your work. i certainly hear the early katatonia influence ringing through in the atmosphere

youve got decent mechanics & built solid understated songs with a very organic flow to them, & i enjoyed giving it a listen. keep playing, keep learning, keep growing

DethoticA and sverek like this.
  8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    As a huuuge heavy (and black / melodeath / ...) metal fan I'll congratulate you for your work and achievement!

Your music is slightly too soft for my tastes, but that takes nothing away from the quality of your work.

Older In Flames (listening to Whoracle as I type) is maybe my favourite music at the moment. I also like Slipknot for example (selectively) and Sentenced (up to Crimson album) to name a few.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do next!

DethoticA likes this.
  9. DethoticA

DethoticA Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 470 1280
    Thank you for taking your time to write the post. I agree with you about the lack of instrumentals nowadays, they are a lot harder to write, not always radio friendly and not profitable for big bands to produce them. It takes on average about 1-2 months to record 1 single song for me but that's perhaps because I do it all on my own and I have virtually no music theory...

airbud7 and __hollywood|meo like this.
  10. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I'm was only about 15 minutes in when i decided i would buy it, i'm not into anything too heavy and 75% of the music i listen to is instrumental so just my style.

My two year old seemed to enjoy it as well :)

DethoticA likes this.

11. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I am most definitely a metal lover, so I'll be sure to check it out. :rock:

DethoticA likes this.
  12. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Sounds very nice!
    Is this a full on solo album, as in did you track/play every instrument yourself? Did you use real drums or SW? What kind of amp setups, gear & software (Bias FX) etc. did you use for guitars/bass?
    I've been tracking a few of my own songs lately, got so much ideas and I'm trying to fuze them into something that makes sense. Problem is - I don't have a decent drum plugin so I can only track my guitars, nothing else :D

DethoticA likes this.
  13. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    superior drummer, metal machine - sound quality is very good. nothing beats a real drum kit, tho...

14. Quixz

Quixz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 3080TI
    Listening to the album right now :D

15. DethoticA

DethoticA Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 470 1280
    Yip, I played and recorded all instruments myself,however,because I can not play keyboard I cheated a wee bit with piano/synths parts, those were actually played on guitar but with the help of Roland GR-55 guitar processory and GK-3 guitar pick up my analog signal was converted into digital (midi notes) format. I used Addictive Drums 2 VSTi and triggered samples with my Roland TD-3 electronic drumkit. I agree with __hollywood|meo, nothing can beat real drums sound but to record in a block of flats, sometimes late at night VSTi drums was my answer

This might of interest to you, I tested Roland GR55, I think i even recorded drums with my guitar that time ;)

here is proper demo video

P.S. I am not employed or sponsored by Roland ;)

16. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    This is pretty nice, keep up the good work man. The Darkest Corner Of The Mind song is good, I really dig it.
    I can vouch for Superior Drummer as well, no other piece of drum software has impressed me like this one has. It's simply one of the best in the business.
    Do you know of any way to try out the Metal Machinery kit..? I've always wanted to test it out but I'm not gonna shell the money just for a demo which I may or may not like.
    I use a hybrid between Avatar and The Metal Foundry. I found Avatar's splash to be really poor and the ride bell terrible and The Metal Foundry's general quality do be doubtful aside from the cymbals which seem to be recorded okay.

17. DethoticA

DethoticA Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 470 1280
    I tried Superior Drummer 2 as well but thought that AD2 sounded more realistic, especially TAMA kit Toms...Having said that Superior Drummer 3 might be the way to go nowadays

18. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Lol I didn't even know it's out already. Thanks a bunch.
    Addictive drums sound better out of the box, but don't have the same modularity or amount of mics. If you wanna mix your own drums, superior will always be better.
    As for realism, perhaps the compression swayed your ears. If you strip them down to no eq, superior is more realistic when it comes to the diversity of each strike. In any case, you do have to vary the timings and velocities in order to really get something really realistic.

19. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    I don't make music, but years ago I kind of got into it and had a DAW setup at one point just for fun. What I found is that if I play the drums manually with my MIDI keyboard and then only enhance it in the sequencer, it sounds more realistic compared to directly sequencing it. It results in improvised timing and velocity variations that are next to impossible to "get a feel for" if you're only programming the drums in the sequencer.

Randomizing timing and velocity in a programmed drum track sounds different compared to a human playing it.

20. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    There's quite a lot of tricks one can do to achieve the feel of a real person playing the drums. It's not too difficult to do this, anymore at least.

DethoticA likes this.