My Aorus Master x570 & my 3600X just arrived moments ago...

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by waltc3, Jul 9, 2019.

1. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    So I will be busy for some time, engaged in what I hope will be a very pleasant endeavor! I shall return here and in this thread post a review of each, including any problems I may encounter...

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Well, congratulations and best wishes for the new baby!
    Oh, wait, it's only computer parts...
    Yehaaw, better then.
    /Joke mode off
    As earlier, enjoy your new toys!
    Nothing beats the opening of new hardware parts from their sealed packaging.

3. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Well I just got email my 3600X is shipped so I am jelly of you.
    Please post if boost clock hits 4400Mhz on one core
    Of course I will be trying to hit all core 4400Mhz on 3600X .I think it might be possible.

4. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Did it come with earplugs for the fan?

5. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    *Update*...I'm going to be adding stuff a bit at a time as I uncover things...so bear with me...;)

First I want to get this out of the way--I come to this Aorus Master x570 having never owned a Gigabyte product in my entire life! I can dimly recall when Moses and I were baking our newly designed next-gen mud bricks for Pharaoh, the cheapskate--a real slave-driver, that one (audience groans)--that we used to talk about about Gigabyte some, but talk is as far as it got--especially when Moses looked at me one day and said, "Walt, you ain't seen nothin' yet!" He was right, btw! OK, enough about my childhood--supplied for perspective, only. (I'm afraid that Greece and/or Italy is as close to Egypt as I've ever been.) I come out of two previous MSI motherboards, each costing $190, purchased many months apart--an x370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC--went to my son--and an x470 Gaming Pro Carbon, which I will probably inflict on the wife at some point. Anyway, the point is that this Aorus motherboard cost me $359 purchased though Newegg--which actually pleased me as I thought that maybe these boards would sell for a much larger premium! A $9 premium over the expected $350 was not distressing. Point two, is that I paid almost as much for the Aorus Master as I paid for both the MSI boards mentioned here combined. So, the obvious question to answer first is, "Is it worth it?"

I have to say 'Yes!' Absolutely. I have actually never seen a motherboard made as well as this one, for Intel or AMD cpus, but to be candid I haven't purchased for my personal use an Intel-made or Intel-partner board since 1998!--before that I owned many Intel and Asus Intel boards, IIRC--but this x570 board easily surpassed my expectations, and it has reaffirmed my decision to buy it. I plan to get years out of this x570 board, and this board seems more than able to deliver on that promise. The reason I wanted to point out how much more expensive this was than what I had been used to from MSI with Ryzen 1 support, is because--I have to say it--this Aorus Master makes both of the boards I owned and became thoroughly comfortable with--seem like junk. (audience cringes) Perhaps that is brutal and unkind, but that is how it seems at this point. I've been using this board for merely a day and already ready it has spoiled me rotten! But, I was using a first-gen Ryzen 5 1600 (not the X) with the MSI boards, too. So, as nice as I thought the R5 1600 was compared to the molasses-like FX-8320e I ditched to buy it (!), it is admittedly difficult for me to say which product contributes most to my subjective experience thus far--the Aorus Master or the 3600x. The motherboard wears the CPU like an elegant glove--(How's that for subjective?) I also note that this board--indeed all of the x570 boards--do not support Ryzen 1 at all! An objective fact that adds to the concept of how well these x570 boards were designed to specifically support Ryzen 3 (and Zen + as well.) Whereas the MSI boards had a lot of rough edges comparatively, imo, running the R5 1600, "teething problems" for Ryzen in general, probably--everything about the combo of this Aorus Master and the R5 3600X is as refined as one could expect.

To give you just a brief idea of the quality of the board's construction when I mounted both of the MSI boards to my humble Antec 302 ATX case standoffs, both boards required a bit of elbow grease to line up some of the motherboard screw holes with the standoffs--all of the standoffs--as by habit I always insist that all of them are used. Some are off usually by a millimeter or two here and there, with most boards, I've found. When I inserted the x570 Master, first thing I saw was that every single standoff was in perfect alignment with all of the board's mounting holes! No doubt it's because of the Master's steel back plate, which according to Gigabyte serves as motherboard shielding and even temperature control--and as I saw it certainly keeps the x570 Masters from warping or bending, too! This is a heavy motherboard--it screams quality--imo, of course.

Thanks to anticupidon's good wishes above...;) For Gerardfraser, the answer is yes, it hits the 4.4GHz boost often and easily--you can watch it with CPU-Z as it fluctuates (more on clocks later.) But the default "Auto" voltage fluctuates from < 1v-1.1v at 3.8 Ghz to ~1.41v @ 4.4GHz boost, but this does not affect the warranty of the cpu and is operating as intended, apparently. For TheDeeGee, the honest truth is that I don't need earmuffs...I need a hearing aid to hear it....;) I've yet to be able to hear it. From what I understand it doesn't run constantly but only as needed, etc. Yes, I remember the '90's and those horrid little maddening fans going "Zeeeeee-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-eeee!"--fortunately, the OEMs have learned a lot since then, apparently!

Well, as it occurs to me and time permits I will add more! One more tidbit tonight--the bios is fine, actually. Looks nice enough but is no-nonsense and nicely responsive.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  6. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Enjoy,

Got my 3700x today, nice chip, dire MSI bios though.

7. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Great thanks for the answer on the Boost clock.I knew it would hit boost clock and it will game at all core clock 4300Mhz all day long.

It should also boost to 4500Mhz up to 4600Mhz but probably never hit 4600Mhz.

PBO+Autoclocking should hit 4500Mhz+ on the motherboard on at least one core is case you do not know or have read.

Anyway one of my 3600X will be here tomorrow,then I know what my cheap almost free MSI motherboard ,if It can hir 4500Mhz+

8. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    I shoulda spent some money on shipping :(

9. NvidiaFreak650

NvidiaFreak650 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    I had the Gigabyte x570 Master motherboard for a day and a half, I return it for ASUS ROG Crosshair Vlll Hero x570 (Wi-Fi) when it came back in stock in Micro Center.
    there was a few issues with Gigabyte x570 Master I saw so far, the chipset fan is not control by the bios so it make a loud pitch under gaming.

New bios made the Bios Menu laggy, it feel like a GPU driver is not install and Windows feel and run laggy, this is a $350 motherboard it should not have this problem. ASUS has the chipset fan control by the bios so it runs at low RPM vs Gigabyte.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  10. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Nah I got express shipping should be 2 days delivered ,like in other thread it is just taking longer.4 days for one CPU to arrive seems like forever though.I should of just went to local computer store but they only had 3600 and not anything else in stock.Gotta have the X version for 2 more FPS.

11. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    I’ve never wanted something I don’t need to be here like I do with this thing. Normally I can wait a week but this is killing me lol. I ordered it on Sunday morning at 8:30 am and it’s not due to be delivered til Tuesday. Needless to say I am thankful I was able to get my order in.

12. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    @waltc3 congrats mate on your new kit! I've got a 3700X coming myself and I am waiting for the Asus X570-E Gaming to come in stock here.

@Kool64 you think you got it bad? My CPU is supposed to arrive tomorrow but I won't be able to build my PC until end of the month due to certain stock shortages! It's my first PC in over 6 years (still rocking a good old 4770K) so yea you can imagine my anticipation lol.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    i hope im misinterpretting this, but please do not fill all the standoff holes just to have them filled, only use the ones that line up with the motherboard holes else you risk shorting something via the case and damaging trace.

Fox2232 likes this.
  14. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Grats on the new hardware and it's easy isntallation and auto OC performance! Enjoy :)
    4.4 seems like exactly what's to be expected, 1.41v might be rather good. We shall see!

Thanks also for pointing out the chipset fan noise. Only that your system is not particularly trimmed to be quiet, is that correct? No sound dampened case etc.?
    I'm still not sold on it because apparently, there IS ways to not need that fan... and when it breaks down you can't get a replacement because the format is just silly, espcially like you said, wanting to get years and years out of it... that's still my main worry about x570 boards.

But one thing I have to say... "lining up" screws and holes should be natural, not "a sign of superior quality"... if anything it shows that the MSI boards were rubbish :D
    Did you notice any major improvements in BIOS compared to MSI? Anything that you'd not like about it?

Thanks for sharing your impressions mate, much appreciated!

Apparently there's supposed to be new BIOS versions out for most of the mainboards' fans to be controlled via BIOS, from all major vendors. Not that I've seen (or could test) so far, just fyi.

15. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Hardware list:

Aorus Master x570 UEFI bios F4
    Corsair HX-850 PSU (72a x1 12v rail)
    AMD Ryzen 5 3600X @ 3.8Ghz default clock, 4.4+GHz boost
    RAM 16GB 2x8GB, Patriot Viper Elite PV416G320C6K @3200mhz 16 16 16 36 1T
    Stock AMD 95W Spire cooler
    LG MultiDrive DVD writer SATA
    Boot: Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 250GB (UEFI boot partition)
    2x 1TB WD Blue 7200 rpm
    ST2000DM SATA III 2TB
    ST4000DM004 S3 4TB
    AoC U3277PWQU 3840x2160 monitor
    AMD RX-590 8GB/RX-480 8GB Crossfire
    Ancient Antec 302 Case

Same ram in use through two MSI mboards and since Ryzen 1. XMP worked first try with this motherboard, with the shipping F3 (and now F4) bios.

That 3700x is a sweet cpu...;) Might have to invest in one of those myself next year, if I don't go broke first...;)

Sounds good--let me know!
    I know what you mean...I succumbed to the "overnight shipping" scam--which is something I never do. Ordered Sunday from Newegg overnight CPU & X570 AOMA on Tuesday, after lunch! Not bad--I thought Newegg would drag their feet "processing" but they didn't, I was glad to see. On Amazon I'm Prime--so it's free 2-day and 1-day shipping, but on 7/11, Amazon hadn't yet stocked what I wanted. Usually I never get off it and go "overnight", though...!

Great CPU--Yes, like from a Heinz ketchup bottle, it's an-ti-ci-pa-a-tion...;) I'm such a sucker sometimes...! But I like it--one of my few remaining vices!

Yes, you misunderstood...I should have clarified--only the ATX standoffs necessary for an ATX motherboard are used...;) 6-8, can't recall how many exactly.

Yeah, the present bios has a very nice smart-fan implementation--but future bios' will have yet more. I don't see a control for the chipset fan, however. Yes, you are correct--I don't do sound dampening and very low decibel fan noise is fine with me. Indeed, I'm sitting at my desk with the side panel open and the box is ~24" from my ears--which are ever-keen to detect the sneaky Ninjas Intel keeps sending to off me, grrrrr--so far I've dispatched every one! I've got a a fairly quiet central AC vent about 4 feet distant, and that makes more "noise" than the motherboard fans all combined, including the chipset fan. I've seen a few posts--very few--on the Gigabyte site where people with much cheaper x570 mboards report loud chipset fans, none with this board, IIRC. I think assumptions are being made as to which fan it may be in their systems that they are hearing, etc. Again, I hear nothing from the chipset fan.

Yes, I agree with you about the standoff holes lining up...;) It's just that now I know it wasn't my case that was a tad warped--it was those motherboards....! I mean I just sat there looking at every single ATX standoff perfectly aligned for a minute trying to figure "What's wrong with this picture?"....! Something was very right about it!

------------------------------------------

Also want to mention here that the dual bios setup works exactly as advertised--I love the manual switches! That was a feature I dearly wanted this go-around--worked perfectly when I tested it.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  16. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    great cpu, terrible msi bios support mind.. but i guess i wasnt to know pre 3000.

17. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    And here I am, still waiting for the asrock boards and 3800x review...

18. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    UPDATE: I felt this was newsworthy enough to merit it's own update!

I am now running all cores at 4.4GHz @ 1.35v in the bios! Max stressed temps on air with stock fan: ~65C, average ~50C, idle ~40C. What is really remarkable to me about this is that when I bought the Ryzen1 3600 I was able to achieve a 600Mhz overclock @ 3.8GHz ROOB with 1.3850v set in the MSI bios. So now, R3600X is also giving me a 600MHz OC ROOB @ 4.4GHz at 1.35v setting! Considering how much more there is to Zen2 than Zen, I'm very happy. Slightly amazed, really! All I had to do in both cases was change the multiplier and make small adjustments to voltage.

Maddness and Jackalito like this.
  19. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Update:

Speaking of overclocking the 3600X, I returned my up-volted 4.4GHz all-core overclock on this cpu @ 1.356v to auto yesterday--for the simple reason that I can detect no advantage to running at anything else other than auto! It seems the chip runs just as fast @ 3.8GHz + 4.4Ghz boost, if not faster, than bumping the voltage manually and manually overclocking all cores. But at auto it definitely runs a lot cooler--and therefore better, I think. AMD has released something brand-new in cpu architectures, imo, and it's working really well...;) R 3k series is significantly different than any cpu I have ever owned in that regard. Difference is I'm still getting my 600Mhz overclock--but only when I need it, instead of continuously! Much better than expected--and much different. The old paradigms are fast becoming relics!

I haven't yet experimented with unlocking Infinity Fabric! Decisions, decisions!

20. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    PCIe4 5700 XT (50th Ann) factoids:

When I had my 1600 on my old MSI x470 motherboard, and my RX-590/480 Crossfire running, the 3dMark PCIe test returned a whopping number of ~7 GB/s @ PCIie3.x (the test only runs on the primary GPU). With the x570 motherboard and my 5700 XT, setting the motherboard to PCIe3.x returned a value of 14 GB/s @ ~26 GB/s at PCIe.x4.x. Also, to show how new this 3dMark synthetic test is, the official 3dMark pages still show "PCIe3.x" but it's actually running 4.x.

21. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Man, I am stoked! After reading about your, and others', impression of the Zen2 and X570 mobo experience, I can't wait to get back home next week to start on my build. I have already gotten:
    New - Ryzen9 3900X, 4x 8GB XPG DDR4 D60G 3200CL16, 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 (OS), 2TB Samsung 860 QVO (games)

Repurposing - 2x GB Vega64 Gaming OC, Enermax Max Revo 1500W

Undecided - Mobo : GB X570 Aorus Master? ASRock X570 Taichi? Asus X570 Strix Gaming-E? Should I throw caution to the wind and get the Asus X570 Crosshair VIII Formula, or the GB X570 Aorus Xtreme?
    Case : Cooler Master Mastercase H500M? Thermaltake Level 20 GT? NZXT H700? Corsair Crystal Series 570X?
    Cooling - 360mm/420mm RGB AIO....dunno what to get.

Still wondering what to get though.....