my 4850 saga, read this thread please. you might help.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by wh3resmycar, Dec 17, 2008.

1. wh3resmycar

wh3resmycar Member

GPU:
    inno3d ichill 9600gt
    hey guys. i bought a "triplex" (i dont know if you've ever heard of this brand name before) HD4850, its the cheapest 4850 variant available at my retailer so i figured i should go for it, which i did. i wasnt expecting a lot out of it, only for it to be significantly faster than my old 9600gt ichill. and i definitely wont be oc'ing it anyway.

nightmares occured the first time i used it on crysis warhead. bsod, vpu recover error started to happen, i was using xp pro sp2 at that time. so decided to fresh install my os and updated to sp3 (never knew a new sp have come out) again to no avail. so i hit some forums here and there asking for help, they're blaming my corsair PSU, a vx450 for being insufficient (33a on the 12v rails) the rest of my system spec are : q6600 @ 3.0ghz / p5k-se /3gb RAM ddr2 800. so decided to run my cpu @ stock, still to no avail. so its not my psu i suppose.

then i decided to switch to vista ultimate 32bit, which is a little hard on the wallet, im still accumulating the funds needed to have this activated. updated to sp1.

the result is that the crashes have become minimal, mostly occasional with the rest of my games (race driver grid, crysis, crysis warhead) but it never crashed, NOT EVEN ONCE on farcry2 which lead me to believe that it must be the drivers (8.10 - 8.12) that are screwing up (or maybe UBISOFT loves ATI, graw2 never crashed on this 4850 as well, no crashes on COD4, too). my 9600gt ichill never seemed to have any bsod/crash problems.

i had this card replaced by a brand new unit, same brand early december. so almost a month have passed and i still have the outright replacement accomodation from my retailer. and im considering the following options:

#1 downgrade to a 9800gt 1gb card which is a step down in performance but a step up in driver realiablity. which sort of defeats the purpose of my whole upgrade from my ichill since 9600gt ichill > 8800gt/9800gt stock. heres the link for the card

#2 step up to a 4850 1gb again from palit, i'll be adding somewhere around 40$ for this step up. heres the link.

#3 sell the card cheaper, use the money to buy a 9800gtx+ (my retailer dont have one)

#4 stick with the card, wait for another driver release. i had hopes that 8.12 will fix everything, turns out it didnt.

sorry for the long post but if you're in my position, where you feel a little confused and helpless what can you do? what will you do?

2. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    my first thought is that it most probably the psu. my second was that ive never heard of triplex. anyway, a 4850 requires a psu with 450 watts and 30 amps, yours is a good unit but it just barely meets these requirements. do you have many peripherals and fans? having multiple hard drives or burners with many fans would strain your psu and cause it to restart/crash etc.

secondly, since you came from an nV card did you ever run a driver cleaner program? switching from one company to the other can cause issues if the old drivers are still present in any way. uninstall ATI drivers, restart in safe mode, run driver sweeper for nV, restart and re-install ATI.

also you said that you had the unit replaced. was this the gpu and the problems are still present?

3. wh3resmycar

wh3resmycar Member

GPU:
    inno3d ichill 9600gt
    the problems are still present.

i did a fresh install and i only crash on the games i listed above, but not once on farcry2 which is weird.

4. wh3resmycar

wh3resmycar Member

GPU:
    inno3d ichill 9600gt
    i used corsair's psu finder to decide whether to buy the 4850 or not. considering it can power a 4870 with a system similar to mine, i thought the 4850 wont be pushing it to its limits.

5. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    hmm, then try testing your ram either with mem test or by placing in a friends comp. if no luck there then try the card in a friends pc.

6. wud03

wud03 Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 4850 512MB @ 690/1188
    I never heard of Triplex either, but my 4850 has not crashed any games. No BSoDs either. It might be PSU, but the only way to know for sure is to test the card on another computer. I would just take the replacement. If it works, excellent, if it doesn't, you didn't lose anything.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Triplex sounds like it could be a "bottom of the barrel" version of Diamond....lol So far my 4850 has been completely flawless. Course, all of my builds tend to have something in common....which is typically the manufacturers. Seems as long as I avoid anything with the nVidia name attached to it...I have no issues what-so-ever....I'm not the greastest in the world at building, configuring or tweaking systems....but apparently my approach to it works as my systems (as long as the nVidia name isn't attached to any component and MS doesn't serve corrupt/faulty patches) are always completely stable. How do so many people have so many problems with ATI?

8. wh3resmycar

wh3resmycar Member

GPU:
    inno3d ichill 9600gt
    i had better experience with nvidia though. and i thought there was no harm in trying an unknown brand since most ati 4850 cards that were available are all stock/reference design both in clocks and board layout.

interestingly enough, i tried adding 5mhz core / 50mhz memory by using amd overdrive. wow, it crashed on farcry2 lol.

im just hoping that the palit 4850 1gb that i'll be picking up later will do me justice.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Wow, my 4850 let me OC to 700/1105 before having any issues at all. I used to use nVidia cards, until I got a 9600GT that couldn't run anything but Solitaire. After 6 months I got tired of not being able to do anything graphically intensive, so I ditched the card. A 3DFuzion 7600GS and an MSI FX5700LE were the only nVidia cards I didn't experience some sort of problem with. Had an MX200 that couldn't even draw the windows desktop in under 30sec. MX400 that couldn't even run OpenGL games without frame studdering, even though the graphical requirement was 4mb Trident graphics card supporting OpenGL 1.0 or better (which the MX400 did actually exceed the requirements). GeForce 6800 that wouldn't run stable below 400/800 even though the stock clocks were 350/700. GeForce 8600's that couldn't even run WoW at reasonable framerates regardless of graphics settings....or the use of SLI. And my GeForce 9600GT that couldn't run anything more graphically intensive than Solitaire without the GPU shutting down after 15-30mins.