Must you DDU after every single driver install ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Tyson, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Tyson

Tyson Guest

GPU:
    I have always wondered this and my method of just upgrading has never given me issues. Of course there are different computers with different configs that would need DDU more then some users. Like on some pre built Dells or HP or something like that. I ask this as it is something extra you have to do every month and if you can just not worry about it unless there is a problem then run DDU and what have you.

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I only ever needed to when using an AMD card but its been many years since my last one so that might have improved.
    I install over the top keeping my settings every time and it has always been well behaved.
    On Windows 7 btw, Windows 10 might not be so forgiving.

3. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    It is not worth it to be lazy. With that way of thinking, there is no point to upgrade or install newer drivers.

Even after each Windows 10 update, I run all DISM commands and sfcscannow/wsreset to be smooth and clean. I am not lazy if it is worth it to avoid lurking errors, bugs, crashes. Better safe than sorry.

Smough and Tyson like this.
  4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    you don't have to but some of us run DDU each and every time we install new drivers, so there no left over from old drivers. alot of been doing this for years if not decades cause before DDU there driversweeper and few other tools. which do exactly that and are safe to use so long as you follow directions and. I never had any of such tool cause me issue.

Smough and G13Homi like this.

5. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    No you do not, Nvidia should be able to make an uninstaller by now. Since they maybe have a actual clue what is in there own driver.

sykozis likes this.
  6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Of course you must! How else @Wagnard can know whether his app still works?!

7. Dan Longman

Dan Longman Master Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    DDU is a great utility - but personally I only use it when I run into issues doing an inplace upgrade. And honestly for me that is rare. I am glad it exists!

pimpernell likes this.
  8. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I can't speak on AMD drivers but for Nvida, hell no. For the last few years you can just install new drivers on top of old ones flawlessly. With Windows 10 and a high speed connection it literally takes like 2 minutes from start to finish and you're good to go.

Tyson likes this.
  9. Tyson

Tyson Guest

GPU:
    Thanks guys for the replies. Well what happened was I changed monitors and the fonts were all Fed up looking. Blurry and fonts all weird it was retarded. Then I learned I should run DDU. I ran it in safe mode came back installed driver and baaaam my fonts are beautiful and proper like they should be. Felt nice. So thanks DDU! Some fonts had red in them as well. Crazy. Next time I run it I will get the paypal and donate a dollar lol.

jbscotchman likes this.
  10. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Tyson, my man. Best. Heavyweight fighter, ever!

mbk1969 likes this.

11. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    ^ Just do not let him near your ears.

BetA, jbscotchman and mbk1969 like this.
  12. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    For the stuff I am doing, Absolutely yes.

Also on top of that, I always use regseeker to look for the branch so I can get rid of the left overs as well, and yes, DDU does not clean these leftovers.

LOL, I am still using the old driver sweeper 3.2.0, then I use DDU, then I use regseeker to look for the branch Version, all good to go.

Most defin't a must on my side cause of the 4-way sli stuff that I am doing, just in case I go to a different drivers to test, absolutely a must, works great every time.

13. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    If you have ocd or have driver issues...yes, if you only upgrade to whql drivers as they arrive and dont bother testing out beta`s and pre-releases....i`d say no.

deathnite likes this.
  14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    the man that bite holyfield ear off! no seriously this how I remember the guy mostly in his hay day he was one amazing boxer

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  15. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    This is how I remember him ;)

TYSON AND AUSTIN!!! TYSON AND AUSTIN!!!!

Good times.

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    @CPC_RedDawn

well if your watching AEW is now Tyson and Chris Jericho and Tyson dont look like that anymore and he failed spectacularly to rip his shirt off after 10 seconds of trying he gave up. but hey we getting Tyson Jericho match they might even throw in a ear biting or 2:rolleyes:

When Stone cold was around was probably last time I really watch WWE I have not been able to stomach watch wwe for decade.

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    People running DDU for every update are also the people who clean install windows every service update because they broke their PC.

sykozis and TheDeeGee like this.
  18. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Never use DDE. Nvidia may leave a few harmless traces, files, reg entries, but they are just that, harmless. Never had any issues related to drivers that were attributable to previous drivers. I'm sure some ppl have anecdotes about how DDE saved the day for them, but a simple reinstall of a driver can do the same.

sykozis likes this.
  19. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I do watch AEW bro best thing to happen in this industry in nearly 20 years, and yea Tyson and Jericho should be fun.

Back in the day I was more of a WCW guy, but watched all shows WWE and ECW. I stopped watching around 2004/5 but kept dipping back in here and there like when Eddie and Benoit died I dipped back in and then just stopped after a while. I only started watching again in like 2013/15 and its been up and down alot but started getting into NJPW more and the Inide scene too.

WWE is practically unwatchable for the most part now, I only dip in for the big events like Rumble or Mania.

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Yah cause MS has never released updates that broke things or Build updates that deleted thing of people drives and pull such update or build cause they failed on there end Q/A and as of late most issue are from MS failing to Q/A

@CPC_RedDawn

WWE is joke now, it unwatchable nothing but drama talk BS and then possible if you lucky they throw a match in there. AEW is watch able for now but they are slowly doing the same thing drama talk wrestling. atlest in the case of AEW 70% time aloted is ACTUAL matchs last I bother to try to watch WWE it more like 30% matches 70% wtf is stuff.

I got say Matt hardy went from be the sane one of hardys to being to being the off he franking rocker one

CPC_RedDawn likes this.