Murphy's Law Or How to ruin a saturday

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by ibitato, Aug 22, 2009.

1. ibitato

ibitato Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870X2+4870 1GB on S T260
    Well

Today it's the only day that I have a few hours to myself to play and enjoymy rig.

Well, I booted up today and one of my Raptors it's gone. The raid went to hell, of course.

I haven't been able to play in all week and the damm thing blows the exact day I'm willing to use the rig to play.

The hdd was like 6 months old. Never had an issue with temps. Second hdd in one year.

S**t happens, but couldn't happen like monday so I don't give a damm ??

Does it have to happen just the day I have for myself???

Well, now spend your free day installing windows and recovering from back up.

Just great.

2. Nagasaki

Nagasaki Banned

GPU:
    POV 9600GT 512MB DDR3
    Sods law... And i know the feeling!

Hope you get back up sooooooon ;)

3. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    Unlucky mate. I don't believe in RAID so i'm avoiding it. Call me stupid but i think it's safer to use a HD the way it's supposed to.

4. ibitato

ibitato Ancient Guru

GPU:
    well the hard disk died, it's not raid fault.
    Funny thing I can't get the other raptor disk to appear in windows installation , other 2 appear.
    It's formatted and everyting
    Must have some funny thing on the partition table or somethinbg that windows installation don't see it.
    I'm burning ultimate boot cd to boot and see if I can do something form there to fix the disk that dosen't appear on the list
    In linux I see them all OK.

5. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Mate I've had 4 Raptors fail on me, I never use the damn things.

I know the feeling.

Last time, I got woken up at 3am to a huge CLICK CLICK CLICK BZZZZZZZ. CLICK CLICK CLICK BZZZZZZZ and computer was completely rooted.

I vowed never to use another Raptor in any of my machines.

6. ibitato

ibitato Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hell, this one didn't even make noise, it just when dead, not recognised by the mobo....
    I tried many things, but the disk won't spin up. Ity just heats itself on the bottom part and that's it

The Raptor was on the RAID 0; bootable RAID.
    The MBR it's still there and the partition (I did format the disk) it's overlapped with the damm MBR

I am trying to completely delete the MBR and Partition info on the disk but I can't,
    The disk won't show up as usable in the vista installation and I do want to install in there.
    Booted with Ultimate Boot CD but it's CRAP and I can't manage to get it done.
    I'm running in AHCI mode......

well using recovery console from vista cr, diskpart and clean instruction, plus deleting volumens, partitions, etc seemd to work
    installing vista now.... that will take like forever......

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  7. mike41

mike41 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Evga 560ti
    if they fail so much, why are they so expensive

8. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Find out that your license is suspended because of a ticket you didn't pay, when you actually did pay a ticket for something you didn't do. =\ $200 I gotta pay again, and I can't even get out there to do it.

9. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    surely suxxx to have this crap happend the day you wanted to enjoy some free time. :rolleyes:

billions of people use raid safely without a problem, but i never wanted RAID nor planning to in the future.

10. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    I wasted my time trying to install Windows Vista 64-bit on my computer last night and this morning. I installed Windows XP this afternoon but found out that I needed device drivers for Windows XP. I swapped drives in the internal drive bay that doesn't need drive trays and tried to boot to Windows 7 RTM but I got a message saying that a file was missing so I had to restore the backup that I made this morning.

11. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Something for the future: make an image with Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost. It only takes about 10 - 15 minutes to restore an image.

12. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    I used Acronis True Image many times.

13. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    Don't believe in RAID? Is that like not believing in God or something?

Anyway, a hard drive is used the same way in RAID or not. And if you have the proper type of RAID you can even loose a hard drive and no data is lost. Almost all servers use RAID and their hard drives work the same way as desktop hard drives do.

14. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    Uhm... well i'm not talking about raid configs that boost u failure safety but those that trade speed for risk of failure. See, i just don't get it why ppl trade 5% more speed for a higher risk. That's all i'm saying.

15. momomo67890

momomo67890 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    285gtx/4750
    i have some raptor ide cable ones that are still going strong

16. Deadman93723

Deadman93723 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260 OC2 MaxCore
    It's more than 5%, but people who run a RAID like I do need to understand that your taking a calculated risk in doing so, which I think the OP does.

17. ibitato

ibitato Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Well I couldn't work on the rig much on saturday afternoon, I decided to go out with the kids and after that I went to the movies.... sunday it's a no go for me... so I had little time......

Now I'm back on the basics... O.P + full patches + RivaTuner+CCC.......

I've decided not to do a full restore from the backup.....I'll install the games I'll play and just get back the saves from the bk.......

Next time I'm using a true image for sure.......

It wasn't RAID failure... I'm happy and confident (as confident you can be) with RAID 0 ... It was the damm hdd that died on me without no warning...

I've been toying arund with the disk (replaced the electronics from the other one I have ) and it worked; so it was electronic failure not mechanic failure ....

Anyhow, I'm phoning the shop tomorrow to RMA it.

I did use a backup app that came on the mobo cd; bad desition; the restore it's just POS and couldn't handle it ok.

I just pisses me off when happened, you know ? , just the say you think you'll rock the house for yourself. Murphy's law..........

Happily I only use the main rig to play games, and didn't have anything really inportant on it; althouh I do have bk copies.

18. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Try to use an app called Spinrite 6.0. It literally ressurects hd's!

19. ibitato

ibitato Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Time to RMA
    Tomorrow I will sending back :

1 Samsung 500GB
    1 Raptor 74GB

20. JPennStar

JPennStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7970M
    Less is more. Which is why I don't want quad-core, no RAID, no SLI... etc. It is always easier to build, purchase, config and troubleshoot.