multiple xbox 360's, one router

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by s4_squalo, Nov 20, 2009.

1. s4_squalo

s4_squalo Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 4870x2 2GB
    Hey guys,

I have a netgear dg834g wireless modem router. I have a few friends over, all together we have 4 xboxs 360's. The 2 xbox's connected via wireless are able to connect to xbox live, the 2 xbox's connected via ethernet are not. Any recommendations????

Please help me! Any help is much appreciated!

Cheers,

Chris

PS Sorry about the double thread posts, im not sure what area to post it in. Mods feel free to delete one!

2. Roberto88h

Roberto88h Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 9600GT 512MB
    I know of no reason why four xboxs couldn't successfully connect to the same router. The first thing that comes to mind is are all the xbox's getting an IP address from the router? You can check that in the xbox setup screen or in your router's configuration page (probably). If the IP address are properly assigned, try pinging the consoles from a PC connected on the same network. I'm assuming that DHCP is running otherwise you're going to have to manually assign IP addresses to each xbox.

Beyond that, you could try switching the consoles that are wireless with the one connected directly just to try and figure out where your problem is (the actual consoles, the router or the cables).

Also, I'd check to see what kind of ethernet cable you're using to connect the xboxs. You should be using crossover cables if you are directly connecting from the xbox to the router and straight-through cables if there is a hub or switch between the xbox and router. To tell if your cable is a straight-through or a crossover cable just look at the ends of one cable and compare the color of the individual wires. If the colors are in the same order then you have a straight-through. If two of the colors are switched around from one end of the cable to another then you have a crossover. Many home routers can do some electronic trickery to automatically make whatever cable you have work properly so this may not even be an issue, but it is worth a try if you are running out of ideas.

To help much beyond this is going to take some more information and/or a person who has seen a similar problem before. I hope I didn't get too technical and I hope this helps. :)

3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I would set your xbox's to use a static IP. When I had my router auto assign IP's for the 360, PS3, Wii, and my two computers I was constantly getting conflicts. It could just be a crappy router but manually assigning IP's worked like a charm.

4. s4_squalo

s4_squalo Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 4870x2 2GB
    i found a solution to anyone who was wondering:

Changes to xbox:
    1. jump on a computer, run cmd and then ipconfig/all
    2. note the IP address, subnet mask and default gateway.
    3. jump on you xbox, go to system settings, network settings, configure network, IP settings.
    4. Pick manual then change:
    -the ip address to a varient of your ip address. Eg, if you ip address is 192.168.0.9, then make the ip address of the console eg 192.168.0.91 or 192.168.0.92 etc
    -the subnet bank to the same as noted from ipconfig/all
    -the default gateway as the same as the chosen ip address.
    5. Ensure DNS Settings are set to automatic.

Changes to router (how to take these steps will depend on your router):
    -Ensure the DNS ip address is given automatically by the isp, same with the internet ip address.
    -NAT is enabled.
    -port forward ports 53,80,88,3074.
    -change mtu to about 1500.

And that was about it :)

Note:

-i had already made the changes to the router and the two ethernet connections still would not work, it only began working after i made the changes to the IP settings on the xbox.

-Just because it worked for me doesn't mean it will work for everyone.

-Can someone tell me in technical terms what the heck i did? :D