Multiple Video Playback Issues

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Quasmo, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Quasmo

Quasmo Guest

GPU:
    AMD 5450 1GB
    I am the product engineer at a digital signage company. I have been working with hardware for a long time and have a pretty extensive knowledge of how things work. That being said, I am not a subject matter expert in CCC settings. I have a background in film, and video compression, so I understand playback from that respect.

We are having trouble playing back videos. The machines will run for about 2 days and eventually the videos will all freeze and stop playing.

In most scenarios we run the following hardware:

Dell 7020
    Intel Core i5 4590
    4 GB ram
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    2 x AMD 5450 with DMS-59 output to 4 VGA displays

We also recently moved to the W4100 card going miniDP to DVI

Some background:

Our software is currently based on .NET. When we play a video, it opens a MediaPlayerClassic window, and plays the video using the FFDShow decoder. We are currently using the Xvid codec (H.263) to encode our videos. That being said, the rest of the application is still .NET and a lot of that is using WPF. I know that we need DirectX 9 installed for certain video features, so I don't know if that is what is having an impact. I did not develop the current player, but worked closely with the person who did. They are no longer here.

The problem happens when we play a lot of videos at the same time. Lets say 6.

We used to have an issue where content would simply come up as a whitebox with a red 'X' over it. Then the issue changed to videos simply becoming black boxes on the screens, like the video graph never loaded.

I believe that the issue comes from a combination of the CCC video driver settings, and FFDShow settings. I believe this, because when I make changes to the video settings in CCC it affects the performance of the video playback and, anecdotally from our support staff, it changes stability.

I am trying to figure out what the best CCC settings would be for my systems. I am also trying to do things programatically, and would like to be able to edit what I need via registry.

I am sure this is a giant hole, and I am prepared to answer any and all questions to help find a solution. I may even be able to setup a bounty if that's allowed.

We have found that unchecking all of the video processing boxes in CCC helps with stability. I'm not completely sure where that change is done in the registry.

I also have the following questions:

1. If I have two video cards installed, do they both write registry settings to the same location, or do they each use their own key? Lets say /0000/ vs /0001/ in the GUID registry path.

2. It appears that each display keeps track of underscan settings. I have done a ton of research on the underscan / overscan issue and wanted to know if there is finally a way to turn it off in the registry (It looks like there is but I wanted to confirm).

3. For each new display that is connected, does CCC create an additional set of keys in the registry for that display? It looks like it's saving the EDID and color calibration settings in the registry, but I wasn't sure.

4. From using the RadeonMod tool, I can see there are some settings that may apply to video playback that really aren't documented. What does the DirectX9 Tweaks setting do?

I want to first say thank you all of for your time. As a community you have given me lost of answers in the past (as a lurker). I'm glad I can finally join the conversation.

Q